Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB "social space" like tC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Default xB "social space" like tC?

I remember reading somewhere that the in the new xB the front seats fold flush like they do in the tC to create that whole "social space"\bed thing, but I can't find it now.

Can it do it? Anybody have pics?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm... the rear seats can fold forward flat to extend the trunk cargo space area... which then becomes a really nice "bed" area...

but nothing i know for the front seats... hmm.. no.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 PM

I think that the front passenger seat folds flat, but I dont think the driver's seat does.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

on the xB's if you move the front seats all the way forward, remove the headrests and put the seatbacks all the way back, it is flat.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xhrhx15x
on the xB's if you move the front seats all the way forward, remove the headrests and put the seatbacks all the way back, it is flat.

What a handy feature, me and my gf camp out at rest stops and I take quick naps at work... both gen 1 and 2 xbs have it.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by NotAllBad
What a handy feature, me and my gf camp out at rest stops and I take quick naps at work... both gen 1 and 2 xbs have it.
Its comfy too. i do that with both front seats, plop my laptop in the middle and it like being at a drive in movie (with a really small screen). i know someone who does a total fold flat with both friont and back seats and they put an air mattress in there when they go camping in case it gets too cold to be in a tent.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just picked up my xB2 today and decided to play with this. I remember on my old xB, you could connect the front and back seats together when they were both down. However, I don't think you can do this with the new xB2. I pushed the drivers side seat all the say forward and pushed the seat allthe way back. Dropped the rear seats down and they hit each other. In addition, when you tip the front seats all the way back, the hidge area isn't as smooth a transition as the xB1. It's more of a hump/drop off. Granted, I only tried the driver side and maybe I had to move the seat vertically up/down to get it to work. Not sure... My son's seat was on the passenger side rear and I was too lazy to move it to test it out on the other side...

Can anyone else confirm?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't forget to take the headrests out to make the front seats fold back flush with the rear seats.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid-R1
Just picked up my xB2 today and decided to play with this. I remember on my old xB, you could connect the front and back seats together when they were both down. However, I don't think you can do this with the new xB2. I pushed the drivers side seat all the say forward and pushed the seat allthe way back. Dropped the rear seats down and they hit each other. In addition, when you tip the front seats all the way back, the hidge area isn't as smooth a transition as the xB1. It's more of a hump/drop off. Granted, I only tried the driver side and maybe I had to move the seat vertically up/down to get it to work. Not sure... My son's seat was on the passenger side rear and I was too lazy to move it to test it out on the other side...

Can anyone else confirm?
I really hope they didn't get rid of this. That was one of the stand out features of these cars in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by suvving
don't forget to take the headrests out to make the front seats fold back flush with the rear seats.
I removed both headrests, and it did not fit. I double checked the seat to make sure it was all the way forward. Again, I did not adjust the driver's side height though...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Its probably due to the fact that the back seal lost 3-4 inches in leg room.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's tight. Maybe less than an inch off. Which is why I was wondering if it had to do w/ the driver's side height adjustable seat. I will take pics tonight if the wife let's me touch her car... haha
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its probably due to the fact that the back seal lost 3-4 inches in leg room.
Actually, the first and second gen cars are both measured at 38" of rear legroom.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Really? i have seen pics and also read stuff that has said that the rear passengers lost legroom.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edmunds says both are 38". It looks smaller though...i dunno. Measuring methods vary.... Some places say it lost like 6" of headroom, but it sure doesn't feel like it lost much.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The back seat is definitely smaller. My 6 foot 4 kid doesn't fit in the back of the xB2 as he well as he does in my xB1, The difference is quite noticeable.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:30 AM

I am trying to find photos of what the social place looks like on the tC but i cant...anyone help?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Skribbez
I really hope they didn't get rid of this. That was one of the stand out features of these cars in my opinion.
I am going to spend some time seeing if it social space in each xb is the same. I liked having that space in my xb1 but I haven't "tested out" my xb2.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my camera out at the car and decided to play with this a little. It is not the same as the gen1. As somebody noted the improved lumbar support in the front seats makes quite a hump.
You have to do the 08 differently. If you slide the seat all the way forward (it goes a really long way), remove the headrest and push the seat back all the way down it goes almost flush with the back seat bottom seat cushion.

You can then put the rear seat seat back down after removing that head rest and you get this:

While the rear seat back goes all the way down to it's normal folded position you can see there is a significant step down to the front seat back and then another almost as much again to the front seat bottom.

If you put your head toward the back it is actually pretty good. It is 56 inches from the hatch to the top of the rear seat back drop off. I laid with my knees right on the top of that seat back and my feet do not even reach the bottom seat cushion on the front seat. I'm 5'11''. There was a lot of space above my head. Like six to eight inches. I was actually surprised. With my body weight on the rear seat back the entire rear cargo area including the rear seat back is completely flat.

I know some have asked at other times so while I had it configured like this I measured from the inside of the closed hatch to the dash. It is just over 95 inches to the closest part of the glove compartment door. It would be very easy to put several 8 foot 2x4's in this things and shut the hatch. That is pretty cool. I think I just found a use for the shelf above the glove compartment. :D

What is the measurement for the gen1 from the hatch to closest part of the dash?

Quick Reply: xB "social space" like tC?