Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB "social space" like tC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I wasn't thinking of using my social space to carry 2x4s. I use that space for, um, other things, and the lumps in my 08 are harder to work with than in my 06. What are you all gonna store under the back seat, by the way? I always have books in my car but they will just slide around under the seat. Also, what are those big giant rings bolted to the floor in the luggage compartment for
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by star2fire
The back seat is definitely smaller. My 6 foot 4 kid doesn't fit in the back of the xB2 as he well as he does in my xB1, The difference is quite noticeable.
All I can say is that unless someone at least 6'4'' is in the front seat, I think you just need to adjust the seat a little.

I would say I could probably get Yao Ming at 7' 6" in there with that front seat all the way forward.

I measure 37" from the rear seat back to the back of the front seat when the front is all the way forward. (When it is all the way back it measures 27".)
When the front is all the way forward and combined with the seat cushion to headliner measurement of 40" (uncompressed) I get about 77" available from the top of Ming's head to the bottom of his knee. Assuming he is at least 25 inches from knee to floor (mine measures about 22" and he is 21" taller than me), 91-25 = 66. Looks like he could even stand to have that seat slid back a little.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't thinking of using my social space to carry 2x4s. I use that space for, um, other things, and the lumps in my 08 are harder to work with than in my 06.
If you look closely at my previous post I think there is plenty of room for "other things" all on the totally flat part of the floor as I showed and described. It is a little hard and I recommend a pad, air mattress or something for the person on the bottom when you are ...uh.... doing "other things".

What are you all gonna store under the back seat, by the way? I always have books in my car but they will just slide around under the seat.
I expect to put a jacket and some other soft good type stuff under there. In Wisconsin it is helpful to be prepared for any kind of weather. Other than that I have not given it much thought.

Also, what are those big giant rings bolted to the floor in the luggage compartment for
If you check out your owners manual you will see they are cargo tie downs to be used for various things. There are cargo straps stored under the rear floor and instructions on how to use them in the owners manual.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by roXor_boXor
I wasn't thinking of using my social space to carry 2x4s. I use that space for, um, other things, and the lumps in my 08 are harder to work with than in my 06.
If you look closely at my previous post I think there is plenty of room for "other things" all on the totally flat part of the floor as I showed and described. It is a little hard and I recommend a pad, air mattress or something for the person on the bottom when you are ...uh.... doing "other things".

What are you all gonna store under the back seat, by the way? I always have books in my car but they will just slide around under the seat.
I expect to put a jacket and some other soft good type stuff under there. In Wisconsin it is helpful to be prepared for any kind of weather. Other than that I have not given it much thought.

Also, what are those big giant rings bolted to the floor in the luggage compartment for
If you check out your owners manual you will see they are cargo tie downs to be used for various things. There are cargo straps stored under the rear floor and instructions on how to use them in the owners manual.
Yea, I'm thinking I need to stash a mat under the back seat in the new storage space for "other things" cos in my xb1, my knees got rugburned every time. Thanks for being so helpful. I read through the owners manual once quickly because I was more interested in driving around than reading, but now I've got to get down to the brass tacks of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So in conclusion, the 2008 xB does not have social seating? =[
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

would you settle for social laying down?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:13 AM

would you settle for social laying down?
eh... It's not quite the same.

What the hell am I saying? I'm actually kinda disappointed.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I give up.

I'm beginning to question the sustained procreation of the species.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I give up.

I'm beginning to question the sustained procreation of the species.

I just remember getting "social" with my girlfriend in the cramped back seats of my 86 Camaro back when I was in high school. I would have been in HEAVEN if I had the amount of space back then that my new xB has now.

As for the person who asked about those hooks in the back, if you read the manual it shows those hooks are tie-downs for luggage or a flat tire if you have to replace a flat. (The standard size tires won't fit in the space for the temporary spare.)
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rustedborg
As for the person who asked about those hooks in the back, if you read the manual it shows those hooks are tie-downs for luggage or a flat tire if you have to replace a flat. (The standard size tires won't fit in the space for the temporary spare.)
It just occurred to me that perhaps star2fire was checking the suitability of those rings for when doing "other things"? I suppose there are several possible uses for those tie downs that are not documented in the manual.

This car has something for everybody I tell you.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It just occurred to me that perhaps star2fire was checking the suitability of those rings for when doing "other things"? I suppose there are several possible uses for those tie downs that are not documented in the manual.

This car has something for everybody I tell you.
That's a great idea for a website ... the "something for everybody" bit, not just the Scion-based bondage idea.

Someone needs to come up with a 2nd gen xB website that shows the 60 billion different things you can do with an xB ... to highlight the fact it has something for everybody.

Of course, they'll have to keep it PG rated to make the site available for "everybody."
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was just wondering... if I was using my social space in my car in a secluded area, and the cops showed up, what would happen? Is that a ticket or an arrest?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Edmunds says both are 38". It looks smaller though...i dunno. Measuring methods vary.... Some places say it lost like 6" of headroom, but it sure doesn't feel like it lost much.
edmonds may list 38 for each but it is brutally apparent that the xB2 lost about 4 inches when you sit in each car.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Edmunds says both are 38". It looks smaller though...i dunno. Measuring methods vary.... Some places say it lost like 6" of headroom, but it sure doesn't feel like it lost much.
edmonds may list 38 for each but it is brutally apparent that the xB2 lost about 4 inches when you sit in each car.
So your knees only clear the back of the seat in front of you by 6 inches instead of 10 inches?

Based on the comments by star2fire about her son I tried an experiment with a guy at work yesterday. He is 6'3" and 240 lbs. He got in the drivers seat and adjusted it to where he was comfortable. Then I had him get out and sit behind that seat in the back. His knees cleared the back of the front seat by at least 3 inches.

This means you could comfortably seat 4 guys this size in the car.
You would be exceeding the payload limit of the car by about 60 lbs, but they would be comfortable.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just wondering... if I was using my social space in my car in a secluded area, and the cops showed up, what would happen? Is that a ticket or an arrest?
Here in the US it depends on where you are when you're getting "social" and depends on the state and county/city laws.

If the "secluded area" is private property and you have permission to be there then the cops can't do anything (except spoil the mood) ... unless you were so noisy that someone called in a noise complaint.

If you are on private property and do NOT have permission to be there (let's say you just parked your xB in a farmer's field or in the parking lot of an old factory that isn't in use) at the very least you can be charged with misdemeanor trespassing.

If you're in a public area (like pulled over on the side of a road or in a park), any other charges will depend on the state and county/city ... most places have some law on the books against "public indecency" or "indecent exposure" (broad terms that can have a broad range of penalties but are typically just misdemeanors).
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
The facts don't agree with what you want to believe, so you are dismissing them? OK...I don't care what the EPA, the trip computer, and the gas pump says, my 2008 xB gets 75 mpg city and 135 highway. It also cures cancer. [/sarcasm]

In all seriousness though, I believe that the measurement is the same/the space looks different because the rear seat is higher off the floor, since legroom includes the distance to the front seat as well as the distance to the floor. This is supported by the lower headroom measurement in the rear.