Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2's - any common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB2's - any common problems?

Long story short - I had two cars - a hummer and an 06 xB that i bought brand new. last november i traded the scion in and got a mercedes. i hate the mercedes and my lease on the hummer is coming to an end.

so i'd like another box in the family

Q1 -- are there any problems with the xB2 that people are having? if i recall correctly, i remember when they first came out, there was something like a pillar creek issue but has there been any other common problems since then? any mechanical issues?

Q2 -- where is the xB2 built? in japan like the gen1? I think it's built in the US but i dont know for sure...

i appreciate the input and look forward to getting back to the scion family. my lease on the hummer expires in november of this year but i think i might give it back earlier than that.

i want to see what the new 2011 colors look like before guessing which one im going for... the only things i want on the car is a sunroof and an ipod hookup... aside from that, i wanna keep it stock like i did to my old box which i miss like crazy. LOL

thanks in advance, gang.

here are pics of my 1st box --

Last edited by Big_Bird; 03-22-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the pillar creak is just body flex.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB2 is made in Japan, with no plans that I know of to be made in the US or Canada. I'm not sure about a sunroof availability, but current models have a USB port in the armrest for iPods. You'll find that the xB2's have grown a few inches out and back, and is a tad shorter. Ride is better, but the car is heavier by 600 lbs. They put a larger engine inside to compensate, so it's got more power, but less mpg. It's gotten a bit more "adult" in styling, but there's still things you can do to mod it out.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Suk, stop calling the xB2 a box. Stop it I say.

As far as problems, my mom has an xB2 and I haven't seen any problems with it other than crappy mileage and blind spots. Go find a used xB, you know you miss Liz Taylor a lot.

But my mom's xB2 has had no problems and I think she's over 45k now. Seems like they are built pretty well.

Last edited by Big_Bird; 03-22-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a driver of a 2nd gen box, I love mine to death.

It's a fun, faster car than the original xB, and it seems more luxurious.

You're definitely going to need to mod the hell out of it just like your original one.

The fuel economy is nothing compared to the original, so don't expect much savings when driving this car.

EDIT: Oh, and I failed to mention that the reliability is exceptional. I have had no problems with my box, other than the control arm being loose and the right passenger light fogging up. I still have to bring it in to get my passenger headlight replaced. Also, I have the infamous pink line under the hood regarding the water pump.

It's under warranty, so I'm definitely going to have to bring it in when I'm not busy to get it replaced by the dealership.

Other than that, at 40k miles, I've had no problems.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Windsheild/A pillar creak.
B-pillar creak (that I'm told is nothing more than a loose bolt)
Seat Return From Recline is rather Delicate. I've broken it twice. and only used it 4 times.
windshields crack without a rockchip. but is also prone to rockchips.
paint prone to chipping

thats about it. and as bad as that sounds it is all really minor stuff. I've loved the car since i bought it. almost everything was fixed under warranty.

and when you want a car thats shapped like this. you need to expect the paint wear and tear and the windshields... thats just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
SL Member

Also keep an eye on the water pump as stickied in this forum.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. just as i expected - it's another reliable toyota

I'm wondering now... Since I plan on getting this new box and keeping it for a while, i'm wondering if i should wait for the next RS model or hold off for a year or two for the new body style.... :D

I will have a single car if i hold off a few years on getting another xb... i'll be driving the benz, which I hate but i am willing to put up with it if it means I will get a new body style xB when it comes out...

Has anyone heard of any rumors on the new body style? or a time frame? and why the hell hasn't scion changed the tC yet! it's like the 2010 model is identical to the '05 model for the most part....?! l0l
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
SL Member

See this thread.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183291
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
I'm wondering now... Since I plan on getting this new box and keeping it for a while, i'm wondering if i should wait for the next RS model or hold off for a year or two for the new body style.... :D
Dude! Be different and wait for the new body style. I like the new body style of the 2011 xB a lot.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ the 2011 looks nice but since i still have my benz, i am wondering if i should hold off another year or two until after they change the current xb shape.... maybe wait for the 2012 or 2013 model..... the 2011 is okay, the rear bumper is hideous IMO but the awesomeness of the car overshadows that.