Notices

better handling, stock height

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Default better handling, stock height

I am looking to get better handling while retaining the stock ground clearance. (I live on a bumpy dirt road and don't want to be dragging the bottom of the car on the ground)

So, I am thinking:
TRD rear sway bar
front strut tower brace?
Better rear shocks?

Anyone know of better rear shocks that will work with the stock ride height?

Mark
Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: better handling, stock height

Originally Posted by markmscion
I am looking to get better handling while retaining the stock ground clearance. (I live on a bumpy dirt road and don't want to be dragging the bottom of the car on the ground)

So, I am thinking:
TRD rear sway bar
front strut tower brace?
Better rear shocks?

Anyone know of better rear shocks that will work with the stock ride height?

Mark
Hotchkis Stabilizer Set
Front Strut Tower Bar

Upgrading shocks is not worth it, especially if you only want the rear ones. I don't think aftermarket springs really help handling much, if at all, and I feel that people only buy them to lower the car (and lower does not always mean better for handling). An underbrace would help, but it would be the lowest part of the car and it would bottom out all over the place. If you want to go one step further, you can buy coilovers and keep it at stock height.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as tcs go, Rear sway. Front strut tower bar does near nothing. I guess shocks/struts would help as well since they would stiffen up the ride but i have no personal experience in this area, I'm still on stock struts. And lowering springs do help with handling, its a combination or the higher spring rate and lower center of gravity.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
as far as tcs go, Rear sway. Front strut tower bar does near nothing. I guess shocks/struts would help as well since they would stiffen up the ride but i have no personal experience in this area, I'm still on stock struts. And lowering springs do help with handling, its a combination or the higher spring rate and lower center of gravity.
Strut bars actually help on cars with Macpherson Struts, like the tC/xB.

Lowering springs "lower center of gravity" is better, but most lowering springs lower past the acceptable limit of Macpherson Struts which causes negative handling characteristics. If you lower the car, the lower control arms will be positioned upward and when you enter the corner, the car's outside tire will roll into positive camber.

Not to mention some aftermarket springs are similar in spring rate to stock, if not softer, not to mention they are of progressive design. Progressive design is okay for comfort (but properly valved dampers matched with the springs are just as comfortable) but not for racing/handling unless you only take turns fast occasionally.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Old" I agree, strut bars do help our cars but you would have to push cornering G's to the limit to realize any benefit. Again agree with your comment about roll center and postive camber (bad). Surely TRD knows this so maybe small drop, 1" or so is not that bad.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by srb219
"Old" I agree, strut bars do help our cars but you would have to push cornering G's to the limit to realize any benefit. Again agree with your comment about roll center and postive camber (bad). Surely TRD knows this so maybe small drop, 1" or so is not that bad.
Yeah, the acceptable lowering limit on Macpherson Strut cars is a 1 inch drop, which is why I think TRD springs are the only good springs for our car
Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you have a roll center adjuster it well help correct the steering if you drop your car too much 1.5"+
i've been searching for sooooo long and still haven't find anything about it yet for our car.
i used to have a 2007 honda fit and i got the roll center adjuster install after i put some coil over and it really did help stablize the car in corners. here's a link to what i got for my fit.
http://www.aj-racing.com/shop/produc...cat=471&page=1

damn i miss my fit