Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question Questions on Spring Install process

Hey All,

I am looking to do my drop this weekend and I was looking at the TRD instructions for the install (springs are not TRD, was looking for guidance on the work) and I see that its saying we need to remove the wiper arms,wiper motor and cowl just to get to the bolts holding the strut.... I just wanted to know from those who have done your own spring install...did you really have to go through all this or were you able to get them out with out fully taking everything off?... seems like taking the cowl off is more work than removing the actual strut....

Also how long of a job am I looking at?... I have a friend who has a garage with air tools and the necessary things needed to do the job, the rears I have heard are like 20 minutes tops! how long is the front with or without removing the cowl...

Any information (relating to this topic of course ) would be very helpful.

-Jay
Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not hard to do. With the proper tools you can get it done in quick time.

Below is a link to a pretty good DIY from "tctaco". There is no need to take of the cowl.GOOD LUCK.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ght=spring+DIY
Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Digon,

thanks man this was a big help!! I really appreciate it.... I hope to have it installed by Sunday so I will def update as I do along... thanks!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took the cowl off when I did mine. It's not completely necessary, but I wasn't in a big hurry and it makes getting to the strut nuts nice and easy. I think it took me 2 hours front and rear.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LOL so about 30 minutes extra with the cowl removal (Taco only took 1.5)... haha thanks man for the info, if I can get away with not removing the cowl I would so so happy!

Again thanks guys for chiming in! I will let you guys know how it comes out and I will def try to get some before and after shots as well... I am throwing some Eibach sportlines on it so needless to say I cant wait!! lol
Old 12-24-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Not to brag I can do it in 50 mins. Just cause I have done enough of them LOL!! Thats without removing the cowl. The backs take like 5 mins in it self and 20 for the fronts each and 5 mins to put it all off the ground with jack stands or even just use a lift LOL!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:33 PM

hey guys im new here, just got a tc 2 weeks ago... i really want to lower it now. what do u guys think about buying used lowering springs i.e. used s techs with 10k miles on them???
Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 PM

I would like to know how the ride is on those TRD springs. I hope you get to install them this weekend.

I'm not sure what springs to get.

Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 PM

will used s techs still be considered just as good as new if theyre lightly used?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by livin_in_xtc
will used s techs still be considered just as good as new if theyre lightly used?
Yes, as long as they were originally installed properly and are undamaged. However, for discussing the tC, you really ought to be asking these questions in the tC forum.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheCCBox
Not to brag I can do it in 50 mins. Just cause I have done enough of them LOL!! Thats without removing the cowl. The backs take like 5 mins in it self and 20 for the fronts each and 5 mins to put it all off the ground with jack stands or even just use a lift LOL!!!
Man Hope im that lucky tomorrow..lol thanks for your info

Originally Posted by bb0793
I would like to know how the ride is on those TRD springs. I hope you get to install them this weekend.

I'm not sure what springs to get.

Happy Holidays!!!

I am not going with TRD I am actually going with Eibach sportlines and I used the TRD install guide for reference only and I was asking about the cowl cause TRD recommends it but I am not going to do it.... but I will still let you know how it rides I will also post b4 and after pics as well... thanks everyone!

-Jay
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sup everyone!

Ok well got it done and man was it EZ! did not have to take to cowl off at all and got it all done in about 1hr... power tools work wonders lol... so thanks to everyone who chimed in you guys were a big help.... here are a couple of shots I took of the car

Once again the springs are Eibach sportlines and my car is in winter mode so my rims are off...lol the ride is awesome and I love the drop!!

Before
Name:  img1261936919387.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  105.8 KB

After
Name:  img1261936920910.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  124.1 KB
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sportlines, eh? Cool! I went with Eibach Pro-Kit and they're a little tight, but the handling is solid -- less drop than the Sportlines (aprox 1" front and 1.2" rear). What's the ride and handling like?

Between the Pro-Kit and the TRD sway bar, corners are much like riding rails, body lean is pretty much history !
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Sportlines, eh? Cool! I went with Eibach Pro-Kit and they're a little tight, but the handling is solid -- less drop than the Sportlines (aprox 1" front and 1.2" rear). What's the ride and handling like?

Between the Pro-Kit and the TRD sway bar, corners are much like riding rails, body lean is pretty much history !
Trev, I love em man I think the drop is 1.7F/2.2R on the sportlines... I was going to go for the pro-kit but the Eibach guy recommended the sportlines cause my summer rims are only 17's and the sportlines would go great with them and wheel gap would be minimal versus the pro-kit.

As for the ride I love it rides smoother than stock to me...lol and it handles well-I would dare to even say great body, roll did def go away alot more now i need to finish it with strut,sway, and underbrace bars then I will be good to go!!! lol.

I am on stock struts/shocks and the only reason I did not change those is cause the car has less than 4K on it and I figured they could last some more... thanks for the kudos my man!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My ride is definitely tighter than OE, but it's OK -- though I can understand the argument for the Tanabe NF-210. The Pro-Kit only modestly lowers and so I kept the essentially new OE struts & shocks. If you need to change them for the Sportlines, you'll know !

I deliberately went with a more modest drop since I need to be able to haul cargo, that requires travel. Still, I was presuming the Sportline gives a somewhat tighter ride, but from what you say, it souinds like the Pro-Kit is probably the tighter of the two. In any case -- looks good, bro !
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even though they are phone pictures, Thanks for posting decent pictures of your wheel/fender gap with the sun shining on it. The shade is almost pointless to look at.

I really like the look of your drop. I'm going a bit conservative with the NF's but that drop looks great. And nice to see another Stingray metallic

I will say your stockers look a bit more flush to the outside of the fenders, do you have spacers?? Or am I just imagining things.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by csmonte
Even though they are phone pictures, Thanks for posting decent pictures of your wheel/fender gap with the sun shining on it. The shade is almost pointless to look at.

I really like the look of your drop. I'm going a bit conservative with the NF's but that drop looks great. And nice to see another Stingray metallic

I will say your stockers look a bit more flush to the outside of the fenders, do you have spacers?? Or am I just imagining things.
I tried to get better pics with my camera but it just stopped working so I used my phone... the quality isn't there but at least you guys get the point lol, and I feel you about the shade shots I've seen some where its so hard to tell whats what in the shade!!!

As for the spacers no, not using any spacers but i also said the same thing even before the drop, the wheels look flush already on 205/55 I wonder how nice it would look once I get my 225/45 on there come March...guess we will see...

Oh and Stingray Metallic FTW