Notices

TRD vs. Hotchkis sway bars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD vs. Hotchkis sway bars...

So i am trying to figure out if the Hotchkis F&R sway bar set is worth the money or if i should just go with the TRD rear sway bar? I dont drive that aggressive and might take it for a canyon run every blue moon... I am already on Df's and will add the underbrace and strut brace sometime in the future if need be... thanks in advance for all the input...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the hotchkis is worth the money. its thicker, lighter and cheaper than the trd strut+sway
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
the hotchkis is worth the money. its thicker, lighter and cheaper than the trd strut+sway
Why did you put the strut tower bar into the equation? If he went the TRD or Hotchkis route, I think he was planning on getting it anyways.

FWIW, I have the TRD rear sway, and like what it does, but I would love to try the Hotchkis pair.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
SL Member

I'd like to know the different between the two too.... From what I heard, taking out the front swaybar is very time consuming.
Also, using hotchkis setup will make your ride alittle stiffer. I am already on trd spring with 18" which I think the ride is stiffer than both nf and df.... it might be a good combo for you to go with hotchkis if you want to stiff up your ride.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd bet that most everybody who already has the Hotchkis sways would not want to trade for the TRD rear sway + cash, but lots of people with the TRD sway would trade theirs + cash for the Hotchkis sways.

I have the TRD rear sway and I like the effect it has on handling. I'd love to see what the F/R Hotchkis sways can do.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i guess i am going with the Hotchkis set-up since you TRD people arent too convincing... lol
Old 10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read that the stock front sway is, in itself, pretty good, and I know that since the box is a front driver, you do not want too lose to much articulation of the drive wheels(and you lose articulation if you go to a stiffer sway, which means you have to have a stiffer rear sway). So it is a "give and take" situation.

It would be nice to have identical setups with different sway bar setups, tested on a track.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Hotchkis, FTW.
All in all, with springs and sways, it took me about 4hours to complete full install by myself.
/thread.

*edit* Forgot to mention: :D Seriously, it's good stuff. Since you have larger wheels, handling will be greatly improved.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by curtisc
.........since the box is a front driver, you do not want too lose to much articulation of the drive wheels(and you lose articulation if you go to a stiffer sway, which means you have to have a stiffer rear sway). So it is a "give and take" situation.
That's a very good point...

All in all, if you want to race you box, or if you always driving aggressively, go with hotchik.
Driving around town with occasional sprint... TRD....
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very satisfied with my hotchkis front and rear. still on stock springs. true the hotch sways will increase spring rate and stiffness. interseting point on the articulation.
curtisc could you explain a little more, simple please
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We think of sway bars as reducing body roll...and yes, that is what they do.

But what they also do is limit how much the front pair of wheels or rear pair of wheels move independently of each other.

Here is a good article that can explain it better than I can:
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/swaybars.htm
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Wow that was a great article... Thanks very much...

P.S. i am riding on 16's...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that article help explain everything great find
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I can't see the "article" because my work computer blocks the rad stuff... Stupid work.

I'm sure Hotchkis has done their homework about all of this.

But then again, what do they know.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great article, learned a lot and can see why hotchkis chose combo they did. Glad i still have stock springs after reading. Wanted to get the Hotchkis springs with bars but 2.1" drop in rear was to much for my heavy loads
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM
SL Member

Default Re: TRD vs. Hotchkis sway bars...

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
So i am trying to figure out if the Hotchkis F&R sway bar set is worth the money or if i should just go with the TRD rear sway bar? I dont drive that aggressive and might take it for a canyon run every blue moon... I am already on Df's and will add the underbrace and strut brace sometime in the future if need be... thanks in advance for all the input...
Going back to your original question, if you don't drive aggressive, save yourself some money and go with TRD.... just my 2 cents....
Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not true. I got the rear for my xa, then the front. Way more firmer and control. I broke one of my end links, so I had just a rear sway working, the can needed constant steering correction as if I was driving in a windy situation. I plan on buying both my my xb,

I read that the stock front sway is, in itself, pretty good, and I know that since the box is a front driver, you do not want too lose to much articulation of the drive wheels(and you lose articulation if you go to a stiffer sway, which means you have to have a stiffer rear sway). So it is a "give and take" situation.

It would be nice to have identical setups with different sway bar setups, tested on a track.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did the xA have one in front to begin with? The xB has a front sway to begin with.
Originally Posted by cobb
Not true. I got the rear for my xa, then the front. Way more firmer and control. I broke one of my end links, so I had just a rear sway working, the can needed constant steering correction as if I was driving in a windy situation. I plan on buying both my my xb,

Old 10-11-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I believe I heard that someone using the TRD rear actually had the damn thing snap when making a corner. If it was a extremely hard corner, I don't know. Regardless.

I have pushed the Hotchkis bars pretty damn hard on my box. They hold the car to the ground well. I have the NF210 setup with just the Hotchkis F+R sways with some crappy tires and Enkei rims.

You won't regret it even if you just install the rear for now and do the fronts as a project later down the road when you have some time. Even so, the front wasn't difficult at all. Just takes some patience.

TIP: DO NOT UNBOLT YOUR LOWER CONTROL ARM FROM THE SUBFRAME. Just an FYI. I got impatient and it didn't pay off in the long run.

Quick Reply: TRD vs. Hotchkis sway bars...