Notices

TRD Vs Tanabe Sustec Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Vs Tanabe Sustec Strut Brace

I'm interested in a strut brace for my xB2. As far as I can see, there are only two by recognized manufacturers and that don't require removal of the engine cover. Those being Tanabe Sustec and TRD (too bad they're both red, I want black ).

The Tanabe is cheaper, but is there a difference in quality and/or performance? Helpful inputs appreciated.

Thanks -- Trevor
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's non mechanical so i would get the cheaper one and powder coat it black.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the one hand, yes, it's not mechanical in the sense of wear-and-tear from moving parts, but on the other hand, it is material -- as in, it needs to be rigid (non-yielding) to do its job properly. Any flexing defeats the purpose.

By the way, anybody have any experience with these Ebay braces?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion...item45e4c74f88

The end brackets are steel and the bar is "aircraft quality aluminum alloy".

Last edited by TrevorS; 01-29-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD is a simple tower-to-tower brace that does not have any pre-loading.

The Tanabe is designed to be installed when the front end is in the air, so the brace can be pre-loaded against the strut towers by tightening a nut on the brace. I don't know if it really helps or not, but as far as I'm concerned, Tanabe makes high quality parts, so this is what I'd suggest you go with.

The eBay unit is complete garbage, and shouldn't even be purchased for looks, because everybody who sees it will know you spent good $$ on garbage to try and impress people.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE

The Tanabe is designed to be installed when the front end is in the air, so the brace can be pre-loaded against the strut towers by tightening a nut on the brace. I don't know if it really helps or not, but as far as I'm concerned, Tanabe makes high quality parts, so this is what I'd suggest you go with.

The eBay unit is complete garbage, and shouldn't even be purchased for looks, because everybody who sees it will know you spent good $$ on garbage to try and impress people.
WIN!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the tanabe one, looks nice and works fine, like the color of the trd better but to $. not to mention their rear one was recalled...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ROFL! Communications from you tend to be very colorful ! I'm thinking the Tanabe is probably my best bet (price included). I received a response to my three questions on the eBay brace, and the answers comes down to "don't know" ! Given I didn't expect much, I really can't complain!

Still, to correct a possible misconception, I wouldn't be trying to impress others (they'd never see it), I'd be hoping for an improvement behind the wheel. Though perhaps vainly !
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by masterbB
i have the tanabe one, looks nice and works fine, like the color of the trd better but to $. not to mention their rear one was recalled...
They did not make a rear strut bar, as there are no struts in the rear. Just springs and shocks. However, the first sway bars were recalled. Sway bars are not strut bars.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by masterbB
Not recalled, just taken out of production. I've no idea what the relationship was between the failures and the details of installation and/or driving, but my own, albeit low miles, TRD rear sway bar is thus far just fine.

I really don't care for the red on the TRD accessories for the Scion xB econo box, but at least with the rear sway bar, it's under the car and no-one notices. That's the reason I want black or even silver for the strut tower brace. I just don't see it in the light of red "performance" accessories -- my hang up I guess !

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
They did not make a rear strut bar, as there are no struts in the rear. Just springs and shocks. However, the first sway bars were recalled. Sway bars are not strut bars.
I knew what he meant, but again, there was never a recall. My original TRD rear sway bar is still installed and I've received no request to return it. Since it continues to work fine, I can't say I'm that concerned about it, though frankly, I wouldn't mind going to the trouble of installing links between the bar ends and the rear lower shock bolts. However, I've yet to see a kit providing that modification.

Last edited by TrevorS; 01-29-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
ROFL! Communications from you tend to be very colorful ! I'm thinking the Tanabe is probably my best bet (price included). I received a response to my three questions on the eBay brace, and the answers comes down to "don't know" ! Given I didn't expect much, I really can't complain!

Still, to correct a possible misconception, I wouldn't be trying to impress others (they'd never see it), I'd be hoping for an improvement behind the wheel. Though perhaps vainly !
Bold 1: Yea, I get lucky with a good one once in a while.

Bold 2: Yea, basically because it's garbage, as I already said.

Bold 3: I knew visual impression wasn't your goal, I was just trying to make a statement to those who think looks are enough sometimes... but they're not.

If you want a product of good quality that can easily be stripped and powder coated any color you want, then the TRD would be the way to go, but it will be more than double the cost of the Tanabe bar to do that. I still say go with the Tanabe; if I ever put one on, that's the one I'll be going with.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm interested in a strut brace for my xB2. As far as I can see, there are only two by recognized manufacturers and that don't require removal of the engine cover. Those being Tanabe Sustec and TRD (too bad they're both red, I want black ).

The Tanabe is cheaper, but is there a difference in quality and/or performance? Helpful inputs appreciated.

Thanks -- Trevor
Tanabe is adjustable, TRD is not.

I would do Flat Black, if you are going to refinish the bar.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But red is such a nice color... it distract your eye from seeing other "illegal" parts on your car ahhahaa...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a product of good quality that can easily be stripped and powder coated any color you want, then the TRD would be the way to go, but it will be more than double the cost of the Tanabe bar to do that. I still say go with the Tanabe; if I ever put one on, that's the one I'll be going with.
Yea, the cost of re-powder coating is a drag -- really adds to the total cost of the brace.

Originally Posted by bb0793

Yeppers, flat black powder coat would be my preference. There are other strut tower brace manufacturers for the original xB. It'd be nice if they'd come out with product for the xB2. More color choices as well as more competition for TRD ! It's been 2-3/4 years now since the xB2 arrived in CA -- I want to see more accessories available !

Last edited by TrevorS; 01-30-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i went with the ebay cardon one. mostly because it is adjustable and easy to remove if i need the room.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

the tanabe bar will give you more sensitive steering do to the pre load.

ps.----the trd rear sway bar was breaking because of the rear tire steer bushing , it was a solid bar like on the old xb. under hard cornering the rear steer bushing would pivit and sress the bar and thats what the new links are for. no recall because they know that 99% of the xb owners won't drive it to that point. toyota did shi**y if any development at all for this part. there is 3 locations in the rear frame rails IN FRONT of the rear shocks. fab a 1 inch sqare bar and connect any of these together for a very stable turn in and decreased body roll with the rear steer working even better than before. i've done this and can't believe that no company has done this . the only thing on the market is the tanabe mid brace which is under the driver and passenger seats
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one question on this. i do plan on adding the hotchkis F&R sway bars later on down the road with lowering springs and some 17" rims. i was looking at adding the tanabe under brace an this front strut bar now. just for a slight improvement and then with the sways a dramatic improvement in the ride. This a good idea. or should i just wait and do it all together?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 PM

strut tower first is always a good idea. It adds steering stalbility. The best thing to do for front wheel drive is to start at the back. Rear sway is the best but there is 3 sets of mounting spots at the rear in the frame rails threaded holes ready to go. i fabbed a 1" square bar with washers thats connects just one of these spots and its as good as a rear sway and you still get the rear steer intact and still working unlike the hotchkis bar. Look at the NEW trd bar and thats why they have bushings on there now so it can still move. Any way you can stop the chassis from flexing in these boxes will help tons. The tanabe under brace will be a good add on, but without anything supporting the rear you may get slight understeer. If anybody wants any bars fabbed up I was going to start selling them.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bb0793

My Tanabe arrived Tuesday, but instead of powder coat I'm going Plasti-Dip -- much cheaper and I like the look . I'll put up a few photos a little later.

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-24-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jheff22
strut tower first is always a good idea. It adds steering stalbility. The best thing to do for front wheel drive is to start at the back. Rear sway is the best but there is 3 sets of mounting spots at the rear in the frame rails threaded holes ready to go. i fabbed a 1" square bar with washers thats connects just one of these spots and its as good as a rear sway and you still get the rear steer intact and still working unlike the hotchkis bar. Look at the NEW trd bar and thats why they have bushings on there now so it can still move. Any way you can stop the chassis from flexing in these boxes will help tons. The tanabe under brace will be a good add on, but without anything supporting the rear you may get slight understeer. If anybody wants any bars fabbed up I was going to start selling them.
fabbed up? and i was looking at the underbrace. but i heard that it hangs down very low on the car, causing it to hit almost everything. and if you lower it....nooooo.

I was looking at the hotkis F&r set. seeing as it was the price of just the new TRD rear itself.
My Tanabe brace arrived Tuesday, but instead of powder coat I'm going Plast-Dip -- much cheaper and I like the look . I'll put up a few photos a little later.
DO IT. after this convo. im def going to order that front strut still hesitant on the underbrace.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here're a couple pre-install photos. First is the bar prep'd, then coated. I'm going to let it thoroughly dry before installation.

Name:  xBTanabeBrace_1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  xBTanabeBrace_2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  47.9 KB

Quick Reply: TRD Vs Tanabe Sustec Strut Brace