Notices

$200 to move TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 AM

Default $200 to move TPMS?

I got a $200 quote from my local dealership to move the TPMS from my old set of wheels to my current already installed aftermarket rims. Is that a realistic price?

RON
Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO. The tpms sensors are basically just valve stems. Even if they broke down all 8 wheels, swapped the valve stems, and re-mounted/balanced all 8, $200 is STILL really steep.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Sounds high, but basically you're paying to mount and balance 8 wheels. Typical price for mount/balance is $18-25/wheel. The dealer's at the high end. You may find someone to do it a little cheaper.

I'm assuming you want rubber stems in the stock wheels and that you plan to use them at some point. If not, they should only charge you for 4 wheels.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The estimate I got from my dealer to swap TPMS sensors into a new set of wheels was $90.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm just curious how much the TPMS sensors are outright...

Seems like it would be nice to have a set of nice wheels for the summer and use the stocks for winter. I know here in Utah they use salt on the roads. Up in Wyoming it's dirt.

I'd see it being easier just slapping on steelies with customs a lot easier than having to break everything down.

And you don't neccessarily have to get them rebalanced. If the tire shop is good enough and your wheels are already balanced well, they'll mark where the valve stem and the wheel weights are and go from there. I've done tires for too long! Lol!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:01 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

to buy new TPMS sensors they are very pricey...somewhere between 3 and 5 hundred.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BloodHoundFan
to buy new TPMS sensors they are very pricey...somewhere between 3 and 5 hundred.
EEEEP!!! Never mind...

I'd be better off putting the TPMS in the 20's and leaving the stocks with nothing.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BloodHoundFan
Yup.
Tire Rack says
TPMS VALVE SENSOR
$344.00 for a quantity of 4 for new install on new wheels.

Probably the main reason most people just skip it.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
SL Member

I am also looking at places to swap my 07 sensors out and put them into my aftermarket wheels.

Does anyone know where I could do this for cheap (where did you go and how much you paid).
I think i would only pay maybe 120 bucks....
did any of you do this yourself? how hard was it and did you need any special tools.

thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:33 AM

got my rims at discount tire and made sure the tpm system fit before i bought the rims. They fit and they charged me a few bucks to reinstall them on the new rims
Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theGREEK
got my rims at discount tire and made sure the tpm system fit before i bought the rims. They fit and they charged me a few bucks to reinstall them on the new rims
I bought my tires online through Discount Tire, and they didn't charge me extra for reinstalling the TPMS, except for the "wheel installation kit" which basically includes all the keyed lugs. The 'out the door' price is exactly what I paid when I went into the store to have them installed.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 AM
SL Member

so...houstonhelix....i just did exactly what you are looking to do. $200 is definitely pricey.

Call around local shops, they all quote a little differently, i found the lowest quote @ $110. but i ended up going to discount tire and they charged me $124 to install he new sensors. This includes all the mounting/dismounting fees and balancing of the new wheels.

Just a quik comparison, firestone wanted $250.=\
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
JRT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so the tpms sensor in the valve stem. I was hopeing it was just, un-screwed the tpms off the valve stim.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

the charge is for the labor to reprogram the TPMS to your car. you can't just pull them and put them back on, they have to be recalibrated and reprogrammed. that's 50$ less than i pay my service department to swap wheels around on a car and i am the DEALER . . .

pay 'em to do it right, or you might regret it.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 PM
SL Member

I did not have to reprogram my tpms (this was an extra 40 dollar charge which i opted not to do)
the reason i didn't have to was b/c i think both my tires had the same rated max psi. so there wasn't anything to change.

This is what i was charged for:

1)mounting/dismounting of tires to get to the tpms sensors (this will be more if you already have tires mounted on your aftermarket set since you will have to do an extra dismount)

2)very SMALL charge to physically move the tpms valve stems and pop them into your aftermarket rims. (this will be more if your aftermarket rims are not compatible and you have to buy a kit, most of the time this is not the case)

3)balancing the tires.

Go to shops that have done it before, otherwise they will not give you accurate quotes...discount tire is pretty good about it
Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
SL Member

^
oh yea, and i've had mind for a few days now and no problems whatsoever, no tpms light....
Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

meh
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danoiboi
^
oh yea, and i've had mind for a few days now and no problems whatsoever, no tpms light....
Same here. I had the sensors swapped over a month ago and have had no problems/lights/etc since. I don't see why need reprogrammed, there is a reset button to acclimate them to tire pressure, and they were still programmed to the car despite being off the car for ~4 weeks.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt have my sensors swapped in when i switched wheels, the light came on about two weeks later, stayed on for about two days.. and now its gone again( been about two more weeks)

so i have no clue whats going on. but i dont really care for it either.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

there is a transponder id # on the valve stem, when you swap it to the other wheels, you have to re-register it to the system.

Quick Reply: $200 to move TPMS?