Notices

18" Axis Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 18" Axis Matrix

Installed my new wheels (18" Axis Matrix with HyperBlack & Stainless Lip ) yesterday. Had to send back the R1-Racing Drift with Max Lip due to a fit problem hitting the calipers!. Settled on these.

I'm Liking the look now that they are on!

You can see that HyperBlack in this case is more of gunmetal gray! I wish it was more like a Black Chrome Look!!! If I can find the Paint to achieve what I want, I may mod these this summer!

Still need to install my Parrot Bluetooth interface & Rear Headrest DVD Players from Christmas! I guess I will have to for the Tanabe' DF's a little longer!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

idk why but they look too small

i woulda went gangsta out on them and put some 20s on that biatch!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 18" Axis Matrix

A Drop makes all the difference. Tanabe' DF's will be on this spring. I'll Post when it's lowered.

I went with the 18's because I drive a lot of Miles/week. The rubber band on on 20's would be too harsh. If I was driving the 3 miles to work from my last job, then maybe 20's would have been OK.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they look small because of that wide flange where the fake bolts are. They reduce the diameter of the "hole" and make the wheels look smaller. I went with 18"s as well, I thought it was the best balanced look, such that the car looked sporty without looking ridiculous.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

true a drop will help a ton!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cannot tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like some or all of them are installed backwards...Nexen N5000 tires are directional, make sure they are right or you could have a severe danger of hydroplaning.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 18" Axis Matrix

did u say your xb has problem with the stragged R1 18" drift wheels ? i m thinking to get one.

Originally Posted by ChspkScion
Installed my new wheels (18" Axis Matrix with HyperBlack & Stainless Lip ) yesterday. Had to send back the R1-Racing Drift with Max Lip due to a fit problem hitting the calipers!. Settled on these.

I'm Liking the look now that they are on!

You can see that HyperBlack in this case is more of gunmetal gray! I wish it was more like a Black Chrome Look!!! If I can find the Paint to achieve what I want, I may mod these this summer!

Still need to install my Parrot Bluetooth interface & Rear Headrest DVD Players from Christmas! I guess I will have to for the Tanabe' DF's a little longer!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 18" Axis Matrix

I Received the 18"x8" R1 Racing DRIFT MaxLip 3". Salesperson @ WheelsNext.com was sure they would fit but just in case sent 5mm spacers.

Well, after getting them and trying to mount them on the xB2, they needed about 12mm spacers on the front & 8 mm spacers on the back. Even if I added the spacers & went with it, they put on the same 225/35/18 tires that are normally put on the 7.5" wheels. The tires looked stretched to fit on the rims.

Staggered, you'll still need big spacers & probably longer Wheel Studs!

I called R1 Racing about the fit issue & they are aware of it.

Too bad, I really liked them too!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
I cannot tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like some or all of them are installed backwards...Nexen N5000 tires are directional, make sure they are right or you could have a severe danger of hydroplaning.
Seriously, check this...it is really dangerous to have directional tires on backwards!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats funny you said that about the drift wheels.. I ordered Tork wheels some time ago and they said they would fit fine. I put them on and they hit the calipers. So i sent them back. What is the offset on your wheels now the axis wheels
Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, they are very nice wheels. i saw them at a local shop. too bad they dont fit. well, how about i just go with 18" lip size 1.7 or 19" 2.25 ? you think it will fit ?

I Received the 18"x8" R1 Racing DRIFT MaxLip 3". Salesperson @ WheelsNext.com was sure they would fit but just in case sent 5mm spacers.

Well, after getting them and trying to mount them on the xB2, they needed about 12mm spacers on the front & 8 mm spacers on the back. Even if I added the spacers & went with it, they put on the same 225/35/18 tires that are normally put on the 7.5" wheels. The tires looked stretched to fit on the rims.

Staggered, you'll still need big spacers & probably longer Wheel Studs!

I called R1 Racing about the fit issue & they are aware of it.

Too bad, I really liked them too!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default R1 Racing Drifts

When I called R1 Racing, they thought I was a retail vendor. They admitted they knew there were fit issues with their DRIFT Max Lip. The issue appears to be only with the Max Lip. The others are supposed to fit. I just couldn't get myself to believe that was the problem. The Huge Spacers needed to make the MAX Lip work Scared me off them altogether.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: R1 Racing Drifts

dats suck man. well, i really like those wheels. maybe i will go with straggered 19" what do u thinnk ?

When I called R1 Racing, they thought I was a retail vendor. They admitted they knew there were fit issues with their DRIFT Max Lip. The issue appears to be only with the Max Lip. The others are supposed to fit. I just couldn't get myself to believe that was the problem. The Huge Spacers needed to make the MAX Lip work Scared me off them altogether.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 19" Staggered

There are people that have put on Staggered 19's of various brands on SL. Look around and see what offsets are used. THEN contact R1 Racing or which ever supplier you choose to ask them directly about fit & offset.

While you have them on the phone ask THE SUPPLIER who they recommend as the best Retailer. Usually, the Stores that don't know what their doing are well known by the suppliers. They like recommending retailers because there is a relationship established and it's strengthened by sending customers out to the good retailers!

Once you pick, go ahead and post your selection. I should have and didn't. I think using the knowledge base on SL is great & I missed out in that regard.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend just got me the r1 drift. they both 18 x 8. but the front wheels have 1.75 lip and the rear wheels have 3.25 lip. are these the wheels you got last time ?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default R1 Drift

The 3.25 was sent for both front & back Neither fit. I looked like about 8 mm spacers were needed for the rear.