Notices

20" Wheels +ride +mpg +brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 20" Wheels +ride +mpg +brakes?

bigger wheels are going to be one of my first mods makes an amazing difference on these cars.... for you ppl with 20 how much of drivability is suffered as far as acceleration... ride comfort... road noise?... trd springs before and after how much of a wheel gap is there (how many fingers)... was the ride drastically noticeable after drop? i read that its ok not to replace shocks how true is this? also with all the added weight and rotational mass how bad does mpg suffer? big brake kit needed?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmmm lol well i have 20s on ksport coilovers and the ride isnt bad i mean its not like a caddy but you got to pay to play im dropped about 3 inches i get rub road noise isnt bad unless im on a really bad road othere then that its fine
Old 02-21-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could tell a little more road noise with the 20s but the trd coils seems to help the ride. After 30mph you will never tell. It is smooth and quiet. You will notice little more acceleration, but it's still peppy to me.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

trd shocks on 20'd anyone??? i know with my person experience atleast springs keep a way better overall ride than coilovers... but on the downside its very hard to get the perfect drop... what about braking? do brakes go a lot faster? and what about mpg?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by edhgreatone
trd shocks on 20'd anyone??? i know with my person experience atleast springs keep a way better overall ride than coilovers...
you realize that the macpherson strut on your box is a coilover shock right.

what about braking? do brakes go a lot faster? and what about mpg?
why would your brakes go any faster? even if your new wheels added angular mass it would be an
imperceptible difference given the fact that your decelerating over 3000 lbs. of automobile.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what he said....
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and not to mention im sure i stop shorter then stock due to my sticky tires and wider track less lock up
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

you realize that the macpherson strut on your box is a coilover shock right.

??? what does you mean by a coilover shock ??? i always though bigger wheels meant you needed to upgrade your brakes thats why bigger wheels can get the big brake kits where as smaller cannot? that just throws me off ....... but whats the ride quality like... i'm just trying to figure out is it worth the extra 2k or so for the 20s i want
Old 02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its worth it you need bigger wheels to fit the brakes all im saying it 20s are hot
Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i always though bigger wheels meant you needed to upgrade your brakes thats why bigger wheels can get the big brake kits where as smaller cannot?
It gives you room for bigger brakes but bigger wheels with low profile tires do nothing to alter your brakes efficiency.
Essentially all you are doing is "exchanging" tire side wall for wheel which has both positive and negative effects.

but what's the ride quality like... i'm just trying to figure out is it worth the extra 2k or so for the 20s i want

I think it's next to impossible to describe something as subjective as ride quality to someone. With 20s you're halving the
amount of side wall the tire has and that's a big part of ride quality. Combine that with 2" of drop and now you have less
than half you usable wheel travel you started with. It's definitely a compromise and unfortunately the only way to know
for sure if you can live it is some seat time.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i see what your saying thanks for info here guys...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had 20" on my xb for 2 years with trd springs not 1 issue no braking issue not shock problems nothing other than a little road noise for about 30-35 mph but thats because I have the bfg's g force kdw and thses things are hot