Notices

5-Spoke Wheels -Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5-Spoke Wheels -Need Help

Hi, first I want to applaud this community for flat out be outstanding. This is my first post but I think I've read just about everything and anything that I could have thought to ask before purchasing an '09 xB2 in the next week or so. Heck, I've already got a list of mods in planning and I haven't even driven my own off the lot yet, lol! The only mod that’s holding me up is wheel choice. I love the xB2 style but just hate the look of the stock wheels on it, so they will have to be changed as soon as I can.

Basically, what I'm looking for and just can't seem to find is a really nice solid 5 spoke wheel. Size wise I'm shooting for something in the 18”-20" range. One thing that I'm not accustomed to, having just moved from Detroit to Orlando is the sheer amount of speed bumps that are around here. I don’t think you can drive more than a mile without passing over at least, I don’t know, 30 of them lol. What size wheel would you all recommend, and can I or should I look into the TRD springs to go with the new wheels? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're looking at 18"-20" wheels, and considering the TRD springs; I strongly suggest & recommend the Tanabe NF210 springs instead. If you haven't already seen it, read this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206857

When it comes to wheels, you need to help narrow it down. What color xB are you getting?
Do you like a particular color/finish for the wheels? (Silver, gunmetal, black, hyper black, chrome, bronze?)
Also keep in mind that the larger the wheels are, the less tire sidewall there is, resulting in a stiffer ride.
Is this a daily driver that you want to keep more comfortable?
Look through this thread to help you decide on both size & finish:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175318
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
If you're looking at 18"-20" wheels, and considering the TRD springs; I strongly suggest & recommend the Tanabe NF210 springs instead. If you haven't already seen it, read this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206857

When it comes to wheels, you need to help narrow it down. What color xB are you getting?
Do you like a particular color/finish for the wheels? (Silver, gunmetal, black, hyper black, chrome, bronze?)
Also keep in mind that the larger the wheels are, the less tire sidewall there is, resulting in a stiffer ride.
Is this a daily driver that you want to keep more comfortable?
Look through this thread to help you decide on both size & finish:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175318
From the looks of it the Tanabe NF210 springs are definitely the way to go. Now to narrow down what I already should have lol. Color wise I'm going to go with the Super White. For a wheel finish, I guess it depends. Chrome is fine so long as the wheel is simple. I'm not a real big fan of large chrome wheels that have too much "bling" to them lol. Bronze looks amazing a SW xB2 so that’s a definite option. As far as gunmetal, black, or hyper black... I think they would look ok with a polished lip, but as a solid color I'm not too hot to them.

It will be a daily driver, but a stiff ride really isn't a deterrent. I have a really short commute right now so I can sacrifice a little there lol. From what I’ve seen in that second thread, I love the simple look of a wide 5-spoke wheel in what looks to be either in 19” or 20”. Only concern is rubbing, but it seems with proper offset and tires it isn’t an issue. Hope that narrows it down a little.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i myself am looking at these wheels....

Avarus AV5

Zinik Z27 Sofin

im liking the Avarus wheels a little more though
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not bad at all... The thing that gets me with those kind of wheels though is the "rivots" or "bolts" or whatever you call them that are on the inside of the lip... Just makes it look busy to me. I'm not a huge fan of split spokes, but those do look pretty nice. I think out of all the wheels I have been looking at, I REALLY like the ASA JH8's that were redone in bronze. Those are perfect. Where I could get a set redone, I haven't been able to find or get a price idea from somewhere in Orlando.

Anyone know of any wheels similiar to these? And yes, I know, I know... I searched and read about them, just never really saw a difinte answer as what else is out there in a 5-spoke or especially where I could get them refinished in Orlando.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

RMCO, those are the ASA's repowdercoated in a matte bronze.

I think it's TireRack that sells them. They're a fairly inexpensive wheel.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
RMCO, those are the ASA's repowdercoated in a matte bronze.

I think it's TireRack that sells them. They're a fairly inexpensive wheel.
Yeah... want to know the real quicker? Up until about a few years ago my family had owned an e-coat/powder coat factory and I could have paid my pops and had them done right there same day I got them, but he up and sold the place and retired. I never had any parts that were too large to do in an old stove but now that I want these, I'm boned lol! Anyone know a powdercoater in Orlando or wheels similiar?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you were in Utah, you'd be in luck. We got my buddy's chrome 22's blasted and coated for $50 a pop.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were in Utah, you'd be in luck. We got my buddy's chrome 22's blasted and coated for $50 a pop.
Don't tease. Not nice.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, ASA JH8's, available at www.tirerack.com ... get 'em in 19's so you have a better tire selection, less expensive tires, better ride, and less chance of trashing them on potholes in the road.

In 19x8.5 +45 with 235/35-19 tires you can use any drop springs you want.

Just search out good powder coaters in your area, should be easy enough to find. Google is your friend.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, ASA JH8's... get 'em in 19's so you have a better tire selection, less expensive tires, better ride, and less chance of trashing them on potholes in the road.

In 19x8.5 +45 with 235/35-19 tires you can use any drop springs you want.

Just search out good powder coaters in your area, should be easy enough to find. Google is your friend.
As far as drop... about how far you think is "safe" as far as your average speed bump is concerned? I'll probably go with the NF210s, just more of a generall curosity thing.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I have the Hotchkis drop and I avoid large speed bumps at all costs.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That'll look good and ride fine. I run over regular speed bumps without slowing, the bigger shorter ones I have to slow for. It sounded like they're EVERYWHERE around you. so I'd stick with the NF's and 19" wheels. NF's with 19's look great, handle great, and ride well also.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That'll look good and ride fine. I run over regular speed bumps without slowing, the bigger shorter ones I have to slow for. It sounded like they're EVERYWHERE around you. so I'd stick with the NF's and 19" wheels. NF's with 19's look great, handle great, and ride well also.
And I found a powder coater... thanks you all rock. 19's sound perfect with the NF210s. I'm sold.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RMCO
19's sound perfect with the NF210s. I'm sold.
No... you're buying!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Hotchkis drop and I avoid large speed bumps at all costs.
Neener, neener, neener...

NF210's ftw!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really want to stand out Raceline wheels.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I went w/ the axis matrix w/ gold lip... i've never seen them on another car?! So, thats why i went w/ them! I love em!