Notices

does my XB need wheels and tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Default does my XB need wheels and tires for winter?

I live in the frozen tundra, basically (western new york). I know that our XBs are low, but do I need to winterize (as in get snow) tires and wheels? Pros and Cons?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your still on stock wheels and tires now then you will be fine, but if you are running some nice wheels and summer tires then yes you will need to change them out.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed my Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1's with cheap aluminum wheels from Tire Rack that I had for my Mazda3 on my xB. My wife's Prius has Michelin X-Ice winter tires with steelies and disc hub caps. We just keep the extra sets and swap out the wheels with tires twice a year.

If your stock tires are the Goodyears, they suck more than the average All Season tire in the snow. Check the Tire Rack ratings/reviews for the RSA's. Goodyear RS-A
Considering you are in Buffalo (average annual snowfall 93.6") I would seriously consider winter tires.

Can you get by without them? Probably.
Will you feel more comfortable and secure every time there is fresh snow on the roads? (say like 3 days a week all winter in Buffalo?)
Absolutely.

The winter tires that are available these days make winter driving fun. Fresh snow, packed snow and even ice are not a problem with good winter tires. It is not just a matter of can you get by without them. It's about staying safe and not damaging your car. My wife's Prius has stability control and traction control like the 2008 xB. With the X-Ice's installed it is nearly impossible to get the car in a skid on snow packed roads. Definitely makes me feel better when she has to go out in bad winter weather.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've lived in Montana the last seven winters and drive on snow every day from November until late April. The first four years I didn't want the expense of a second set of tires...so I drove slowly and conservatively.

Three years ago, I bought a set of snow tires for my Honda Civic (I now drive a 05 xB). I didn't think there would be that much difference, so after I installed them I headed to a big open parking lot, ran the car up to 25mph and pulled the emergency brake...and it STOPPED. It shut down so fast I was glad I had my seatbelt on.

Snow tires make a tremendous difference on snow, ice, slush, etc., especially on a front-wheel drive car like the xB. The car feels safer at any speed, in any conditions, particularly when going up and more importantly, down hills (it's not a gamble to stop halfway up a snow-covered hill anymore). It also makes me feel safer when my wife is driving (she's a great driver but she's from Georgia). She commented that it doesn't feel any different than driving on dry roads in the summer. It is always very funny to be cruising along past spinning 4-wheel drive vehicles in a Solar Yellow Scion xB in Montana but it happens almost every week.

Winter tire design has come a long way and the newer tires (i.e. Bridgestone Blizzaks) are studless. That makes them much quieter than the older, studded tires (although they are a little louder than an all season, or summer tire). The studless tires perform as good, if not better, than studded tires in snow, ice, slush and show significantly better perfomance on dry roads...these considerations made it an easy choice in favor of teh studless tires. Check the tirerack.com for reviews.

I just bought four tires tires and steel wheels from the Tire Rack mounted, balanced and delivered for the xB for approximately $450 (my second set of tires/wheels from them). Always make sure to go with a full set (four tires) with snow tires. It's no good if the front or rear has traction but the other end doesn't. For the safety and security of myself, my wife and my passengers it's a small price to pay.

--Depending on your daily mileage and the amount of snowy roads vs. dry roads you drive, you should be able to get 2-4 winters out of a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. It works out to between $100-200 a year...it just makes sense.--
Old 11-22-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would tend to agree that the Goodyear RS-A is a poor tire for snow use, even light snow. I've run all-seasons and dedicated snows in the winter. You can't beat dedicated snow tires, but a good all season will usually suffice with very conservative driving. I've had very good success with the Continental ContiExtreme Contact in the snow, as an all-season tire is concerned. That will be my replacement tire when the Goodyear's kick, which will probably be before 25,000 miles.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people who have ever had the new generation of snow tires on their car will tell you that if you have the means and you live in a place that gets moderate to heavy amount of snowfall to get a set of four. I know I will be getting mine soon. I have waited too long already.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Hmm. I thought the goodyears that came on them sucked, but I thought it was just the different handling on the new xb. I guess tires are enough, I'll wait for cutie wheels until the spring. Thanx!