Notices

enough of an offset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 PM
SL Member

Default enough of an offset?

i'm buying my xB in about 3 weeks (well, i'm having my mom do the paperwork since i'm in Iraq right now and she has power of attorney)...it's going to be a nautical blue with all the TRD parts and most options..

i was looking at getting a set of ti's model 09, 20x8.5 all around with either 235/30 or 235/35 tires.

i know the stock offset is +45, but does anyone know if a +38 will work? considering that i'm getting the TRD lowering springs?

i leave Iraq on/around February 9, 2008 (i've been here since January 15th) and i'm getting the car the first week of January so it can be towed down from MA to Camp Lejeune in NC...and i'd really like to have my rim/tire situation set when i purchase my xB..

any criticism and help is welcomed and greatly appreciated

Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How's it going in Iraq? My brother just got shipped out a couple of months ago, so we are all praying he's going to come back safely. Nice to hear your getting an XB right when you arrive... you deserve it!

Anyways, just to let you know, you could save a lot of money by not purchasing the TRD parts at the dealer. Here's how much the dealer charges which does not include installation....

TRD Lowering Springs $399
TRD Sport Muffler $489
TRD Rear Sway bar $250
TRD Performance Air Filter $80
TRD Strut Tie Bar $245

If you go to TRDsparks.com, you can save a lot of $$$ of you just install them yourself or with a buddy.

TRD Lowering Springs $205
TRD Sport Muffler $395
TRD Rear Sway bar $156
TRD Performance Air Filter $60
TRD Strut Tie Bar $175

Good luck to you man...
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+38 and 235/35

if you want more rubber go with 235/40
Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

my +38 did not clear the brake caliper in the rear, I had to run 3mm spacers till I ground down the caliper.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
SL Member

D_Unit...iraq is going about as good as a war zone can go, i'm a mechanic so i fix all the blown up humvees and other trucks the Marine Corps uses, i got lucky and was attached to a support element so i rarely leave the base, just to go and pick up trucks that are broken down, let your brother know that i wish him the best of luck...but having been out here for over 11 months already, i can't really complain, good $$, i'm
always busy, and me and the guys i'm with have some good times whenever
we can...we've done A LOT of stupid stuff, just go to you tube and search for Bored Marines...i'm sure you'll find tons of stuff.

and about the dealer prices, i'm not going to be paying that much, my
dad's the Service Manager at a Toyota/Scion dealership in MA, so he's
going to buy them with his discount, which will probably be even cheaper
than TRDsparks...but thanks for the heads up!

i've got a couple plans for my xB already, i just can't wait to be back
in the states to do it all, mobileHID 6000k kit, rumion tail lights to have 'normal' reverse lights, complete JL Audio stereo (ZR components, 2 13w7s, 2 1000/1 amps and a 350/4 or 400/4 for the comps.., racing stripes, and hopefully a turbo kit
whenever an affordable one comes out!

as far as the offset problem, what if i bought some 5mm wheel spacers
(found some on autodirectsave.com) that would put the offset to a total
of +43 right (+38 of the wheel, +5 for the spacer) they're a little over
$50 a pair, which i dont think is bad at all to fix a clearance
issue...any thoughts?

[img]http://www.yourhotcar.com/productImages_thumbBIG/a58b23b7_4514.jpeg
[/img]
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+38 then 5mm spacer will be +33- your tires will stick out.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM
SL Member

so is there any easy way to make a +38 work? without having to grind down the calipers?

or should i just forget about those rims and find somethin from +42 to +45?

because i was also looking at the MRR HR2's which are offered with a ET 35...according to rims-n-tires.com, its a direct fitment for the 08...would that even work?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 PM

I ran into this problem TODAY about getting my new wheels put on my xB. Originally I was going to get the Axis Penta 19x8's. The problem was, they only make them in a 35 offset. With the tires put on, they stick out about 1/2 inch. I had to switch wheels and stick with a 40 offset to keep them just inside the wheel well. Some guys ARE running a 35 offset, but they will have problems with rubbing with people in the back if they lower their xB's . Rolling the fenders won't help either. Since they stick out, they will spew road grime up the sides of the car too. Another thing I didn't want.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CPL_McMillan_USMC
so is there any easy way to make a +38 work? without having to grind down the calipers?

or should i just forget about those rims and find somethin from +42 to +45?

because i was also looking at the MRR HR2's which are offered with a ET 35...according to rims-n-tires.com, its a direct fitment for the 08...would that even work?
How's the fit on the TIS 09? maybe you don't even need a spacer. if you don't, +38 will be just right. not all wheels are the same even if the size and offset are the identical. some spokes are at an angle that's why it requires spacer for clearance
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBeatBoX
I ran into this problem TODAY about getting my new wheels put on my xB. Originally I was going to get the Axis Penta 19x8's. The problem was, they only make them in a 35 offset. With the tires put on, they stick out about 1/2 inch. I had to switch wheels and stick with a 40 offset to keep them just inside the wheel well. Some guys ARE running a 35 offset, but they will have problems with rubbing with people in the back if they lower their xB's . Rolling the fenders won't help either. Since they stick out, they will spew road grime up the sides of the car too. Another thing I didn't want.
You mean 19x8.5's correct? The Axis Penta, according to their website www.axiswheels.com, isn't made in 19x8.

I just want to clarify, because I am planning on getting them in 19x8.5 with the 40mm offset.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Even though your wheels will have the 38mm offset, it doesn't neccessarily mean that they will hit your caliper like NoLimitz' did. Some wheels have clearances.

I'd reccommend bolting the wheel up loosely with no tire as soon as you get the wheels you desire. Then send back if they don't fit.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by SiXX
You mean 19x8.5's correct? The Axis Penta, according to their website www.axiswheels.com, isn't made in 19x8.

I just want to clarify, because I am planning on getting them in 19x8.5 with the 40mm offset.
Yes, I meant 19x8.5. Sorry about the misinformation. I was told that those wheels in that size/bolt pattern are only made with a 35 offset. If that is false, I'm gonna rip my new car salesmans a**. Although, I don't see where they list the offset on the website. Got a link?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my rears are +35 9in wheel

my fronts are +45 8in wheel

and it sits flush with fender with no problem
Old 12-15-2007, 04:09 PM
SL Member

the only problem about test fitting the rims is that i'm in Iraq right now...so i'll have to see if my dad can take care of that for me (my xB is going to be stored on the showroom floor for about a month until i get back from Iraq, so hopefully he'll just pull it into the shop and check it out real quick) otherwise i'll have to wait until i get back in late Feb. to test fit..

i'm just going to look for other rims anyway...i've got about 2 weeks until i buy my xB,and another 56 days until i leave Iraq (only another 30 days or so until i hit 365 days in Iraq...woohoo!) so i've got some time to check if my first choice of rims will work out or not..

thanks for all the help guys!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I meant 19x8.5. Sorry about the misinformation. I was told that those wheels in that size/bolt pattern are only made with a 35 offset. If that is false, I'm gonna rip my new car salesmans a**. Although, I don't see where they list the offset on the website. Got a link?
Here's where I'll be ordering from:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...l-p-32310.html

You'll notice that they come in either a 35mm or 40mm offset, and I'm fairly sure they are also made in the 45mm offset. The dealer you're going through probably either doesn't know, or just can't get it.

.....you may now go kill your salesman, lol.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's my offset: TSW Sakata 5
Front: 19x8 +40
Rear: 19x9.5 +35 (spacer is needed because the spokes are angled too much that it rubs against the caliper) so rear is +30

hope this helps!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM
SL Member

i just wanted to thank everyone that has given advice on my rim question...i i think i'm going to buy the TIS model 09, 20x8.5 with a +38 offset, have my dad test fit them when i purchase my xB (only 17 days away!), and hopefully they fit and there are no clearance issues...

i just want to get back from Iraq in mid to late February, and have my xB waiting for me at Lejeune since my dad is towing it down to meet me the day i get back, and just put as many miles on it as i can in about 2 weeks before i go on Leave and have a 800 mile drive up to MA...all the while having to install all my TRD parts and dealer accessories, HID kit, JL front/rear components, 2 JL amps, a 13w7, dynamat the entire interior, and numerous other mods i already have planned. All in that same 2 weeks!

thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

CPL McMillan

*54 days an i'm out of this sandbox $#!t hole!*
Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the dropstar ds02 i believe tis makes the dropstar, they're 22x8.5 i believe they have a +30 offset...gotta check... but they sit flush....