Notices

Are my craigslist wheels wrong bolt pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Default Are my craigslist wheels wrong bolt pattern?

I bought some wheels on craigslist and the guy didn't know for sure what the bolt pattern was. The car they came off of doesn't help because they had adapters to fit on that car. The adapters had "130" stamped on them, but that was the size for the old car, not the wheel side.

He said he thought they were 112's. I tried to bolt one on to try it out and it didn't quite seem perfect. My question is.... Is it possible to accidentally bolt 112 wheels on your car or is there no way they would even fit?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

It's possible to run 112 wheels on a 114.3 car and vice versa. You just need wobble bolts. VW guys do it all the time.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Before I do that is there any way to tell if they are really 112? Wobble bolts sound a bit scary... Something about mixing wobble with wheel...
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the bolts remove any wobble. And yes you can measure it.

http://www.mrt-wheels.com/boltpattern.html
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM

I tried to measure them but only had a tape measure. They seemed right, but they are so close it is hard to tell. I'll try again with some digital calipers and see what I come up with. Do you know if center to center with multiplier is more accurate than edge to center?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I would guess using the multiplier is more accurate since it's considered the harder method.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM

okay, I measured them with the calipers and came up with the following:

edge to center: 114-ish
center to center: 112-ish

I personally trust the center to center, because the bolt hole diameter may vary from wheel to wheel. I think I'll get some spacer/adapters for the rear wheels and try the wobbles on the front. The wheels are 45 offset, so I want to kick them out a bit in the back versus the front. Thanks for your help Jon, I appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hyper_xB
okay, I measured them with the calipers and came up with the following:

edge to center: 114-ish
center to center: 112-ish

I personally trust the center to center, because the bolt hole diameter may vary from wheel to wheel. I think I'll get some spacer/adapters for the rear wheels and try the wobbles on the front. The wheels are 45 offset, so I want to kick them out a bit in the back versus the front. Thanks for your help Jon, I appreciate it.
New problem, I just went online to buy the wobblers and realized that they are bolts, not nuts... duh. Is there some way to use wobble bolts on a car that has studs and uses lug nuts? Do the studs come out of the brakes and leave threaded holes that the wobblers will fit into?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sell these wheels, and buy some that fit right.

I'm sure your first thought is "that wasn't very helpful", but upon further consideration you might realize that it's the right thing to do.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM

would adapters be that bad?... the extra 1.25" would counter the 45 offset (18"x8") and get me just past flush. Right now it's bone stock, but i will be dropped on NF's as soon as possible. If I decide to keep them and go with adapters, would they rub after the drop?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What wheels do you have? Is the mounting pad to the hub flat or have little indentions? Why so thick of an adapter, 25mm should be just fine(IDK what size would clear xB wheel lugs though), but could maybe be able to run a thinner adapter if the mount pad isn't flat. There's also the option of getting the holes drilled to 5x114 and have inserts put in(or fill and redrill) depends on the wheel style.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
What wheels do you have? Is the mounting pad to the hub flat or have little indentions? Why so thick of an adapter, 25mm should be just fine, but could maybe be able to run a thinner adapter if the mount pad isn't flat.
the wheels are 112 bolt pattern, not 114.3, so the adapters will let me bolt them up to my car, but they have to be thick to work their magic.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would adapters be that bad?... the extra 1.25" would counter the 45 offset (18"x8") and get me just past flush. Right now it's bone stock, but i will be dropped on NF's as soon as possible. If I decide to keep them and go with adapters, would they rub after the drop?
18x8 +45 would be the equivalent of a 13.25mm offset with 1.25" thick adapters. The fronts will poke about 3/4" and the rears will poke about 1/4". You will need some seriously stretched tires to keep from rubbing up front since the NF's have such soft spring rates.

I still say sell these wheels, and buy some that fit right, but it's obviously your decision.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the wheel specs. What's the brand and style? Seems these are too good to let go.

Does the back of the wheel look like this, with "pockets" in between the bolt holes. If so then you can clear the OEM wheel studs with a thinner adapter.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Thanks Cionide... that's what I needed to hear. I love the wheels, they are a perfect look for the car (once it's wrapped in flat black that is), but that's too much poke in the front and I don't want to run stretched tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM

I know the wheel specs. What's the brand and style? Seems these are too good to let go.
They are tsw trackstar 5's if you want to look them up online.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are tsw trackstar 5's if you want to look them up online.
Those are available in 18x8 +40 in our bolt pattern... a much better fit, but I'm sure you paid a lot less than $840 on craigslist.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 AM

Does the back of the wheel look like this, with "pockets" in between the bolt holes. If so then you can clear the OEM wheel studs with a thinner adapter.
here is a photo of the back of the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Are my craigslist wheels wrong bolt pattern?-back-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Those are available in 18x8 +40 in our bolt pattern... a much better fit, but I'm sure you paid a lot less than $840 on craigslist.
same numbers, just different order, which makes a big difference. I paid $480 for the wheels and tires, both of which are like brand new, maybe 1-2k on them.

Of course I'm on a tight budget, so if I can make these work, that would be awesome-er than trying to find other wheels I like enough to adorn my ride.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since the back of the wheels is designed how it is, you don't have to run that big 1.25" adapter, you can run a 25mm, run a 20mm maybe even 15mm, you'll have to make measurements to check clearance on choosing spacer size.

Quick Reply: Are my craigslist wheels wrong bolt pattern?