Notices

New Guy, Total Novice with some wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 AM

Default New Guy, Total Novice with some wheel questions

Hey all,

First, I would like to say that I am a brand new owner of a 2009 Scion xB in Stingray Metallic! I've always loved the Scions and now, I finally have one! This is also the first car that I have bought brand new and I am definitely excited with the possibilities of "Toasty" (the name that it has adopted so far by family and friends).

With that said, I am a total novice with cars and such and don't really know much, especially about wheels n tires so I have a few questions.

I am looking to change my stock wheels from 16s to 18s. I've found a few that I liked online but still haven't decided. I saw these:

and thought they looked really good. I liked the "holographic" border of the wheel; however, I've never seen anything like it. Where can I find a wheel like that?

Some information that I have been looking for is the weight of the stock wheels. The thing I am concerned with is the effect heavier wheels will have on the mileage. I am assuming that it will have a negative effect; however, I am not sure how much of a dent it will put. One of the wheels I am considering might be lighter than what the stock wheels are so will that help my MPGs?

Also, there was a TPMS thread that looks like it is a sticky on top of this sub-forum. The whole process of transferring them confuses me a little bit and I have read different stories on whether or not the TPMSs will fit. How much would it cost to have them transferred, registered, and such? Is there a way to calibrate the odo/speedometer as well (as I've also read somewhere that the accuracy of the gauges will change with new wheels)?

Sorry for all of these questions! I hope they weren't confusing as I am confused by them myself .
Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off, congrats on the purchase and welcome to SL!

those are wheels with the "neochrome" finish. neochrome is one of the biggest fads today in the aftermarket community, with things like lug nuts to entire wheels being finished in neochrome. you can find wheels like that in typically any aftermarket wheel dealer ... just have to tell them what you're looking for. i think i remember seeing a sponsored sale for some like that above, so check out that section.

your concerns with weight is correct. the heavier the wheel, the more the engine has to work to spin it, the less MPG you get. depending on how heavy you get, you're looking at usually 2-5mpg difference. also, the diameter of the wheels will affect this as well, since it directly translates to weight in most instances (doesn't apply to high end wheels).
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by evosky
first off, congrats on the purchase and welcome to SL!

those are wheels with the "neochrome" finish. neochrome is one of the biggest fads today in the aftermarket community, with things like lug nuts to entire wheels being finished in neochrome. you can find wheels like that in typically any aftermarket wheel dealer ... just have to tell them what you're looking for. i think i remember seeing a sponsored sale for some like that above, so check out that section.

your concerns with weight is correct. the heavier the wheel, the more the engine has to work to spin it, the less MPG you get. depending on how heavy you get, you're looking at usually 2-5mpg difference. also, the diameter of the wheels will affect this as well, since it directly translates to weight in most instances (doesn't apply to high end wheels).
Thanks!

Those neochromes are sick but probably too expensive for me... also it looks like they might be heavy though I couldn't find weight specifications online.

It looks like I will be getting wheels with these specs:
18x7.5
Rec Tires: 215/45/18
Weight: 16lbs

Are those enough specs to make a guess on whether or not my mileage will improve?

Again, thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock steelies weigh around 20 pounds so with that set up it shoudlent hinder your performance by much at all allthough its lighter it has more rotational mass.

And I'm very curious where you found a 18 inch rim that weighs 16lbs that's really light...really light. I just ordered my 17s and they weigh 17lbs and I thought that was light.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 AM

Kosei K1 TS Silver (or Black)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those Kosei wheels are super light for the price; excellent choice!

215/45-18 tires will work, but 225/40-18 tires are by far the most popular size for 18x7.5 wheels on the xB2. The 225/40's are closer to the stock diameter and will keep the speedo more accurate, as well as putting a little more meat on the road.

I think the tire and wheel calculator we all use will help you understand how the changes from stock may or may not work, and what the resultant changes will be:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Keep in mind that the stock wheels are 16"x6.5" with +45 offset, and the tires are 205/55x16".

Stock weight is approximately 22# for tire and 22# for steelie = about 44# total at each corner.

Have fun playing with the calculator/comparer!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

black !
Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The neochrome wheels look nice today but you know how fast wheel trends change and then all of a sudden you find yourself with wheels that look rediculous. Remember spinners? How about directional wheels? They were all the rage for a short time and now look stupid. I tend to get wheels that are somewhat understated or "unflashy" wheels that usually never go out of style.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with wrczx3. I say go with the Kosei K1 TS wheels; super light and much more timeless.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ssfblue
Kosei K1 TS Silver (or Black)
I just bought these rims in grey last week and my main decision factor was the weight. I had Kuhmo AST's 225/40/18 mounted on them and I just weighed them....40lbs for rim and tire!!!! I love the idea of loosing 4lbs per corner. You should look at 225 instead of 215 as your choice of tire goes up and price goes down substantially in that size.
I'm waiting to put my NF's on before mounting them but it's killing me. One nice part about waiting is it gives me a chance to put 3 coats of wax on them.
Where are you getting your Kosei's from? I could only find them at Tire Rack.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 AM

Thanks for all of your advice!

I've been away from the computer a lot recently so I haven't been able to reply on the forums and stuff.

I have made a decision and here is what I am going for:

18" Kosei K1 TS Light Grey Painted @ 16lbs each
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum 225/40 @ 23lbs each
Total: About 39lbs, so from what I've read, lighter than the stocks!

I decided to go against the neochromes because they are more expensive, heavier, and like others have said, not as timeless as the not-as-flashy Kosei's. They should be installed on my ride by next week and I'll definitely post pictures!

I, for one, am very excited!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You made the right decision! (If my humble opinion counts for anything.)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member

ssfblue,
Here's a pic of the K1's on my ride:

They deffinitly are not as 'blingy' as some of the rims out there but I've always cared more about function then looks anyway. Post some pics when you get everything mounted up.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where are you buying them from?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

wow, so on tirerack.com the 17 inch version of this wheel is almost 10lbs lighter than stock. These seems like it would really help gas mileage and braking with all that extra weight gone. And at 145.00each is pretty resonable. I am seriously considering upgrading my wheels now. I have been looking for something light weight. I might order these from tirerack.com and then go get the tires from my local Discount Tire. The site recommends a 225/45-17. If i buy that size tire is my speedo going to be accurate?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by longboardluv
The site recommends a 225/45-17. If i buy that size tire is my speedo going to be accurate?
Yes.

When speedometer reads 60mph, actual speed will be 60.2mph: 0.3% faster.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoops, they are 196.00 each for 17"
Old 08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

^^There is 3 different selections for the 17x7 and the second selection on the drop down is $145. If you're getting them I would jump on that as it might be a mistake on their part you can take advantage of.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3 different drop downs are for different offsets.

+42 and +50 are $196 each, +36 is the $145 closeout.

Most people would probably run the +42 offset, but 17x7 +36 will work fine, and be the most flush to the fender without sticking out past the fender.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah , yes I see now.

Quick Reply: New Guy, Total Novice with some wheel questions