Notices

No TPMS sensors = No stability control?!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 11xB
What is this pvc trick you speak of?
TPMS PVC trick works! UPDATED W/PICS
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144818

Last edited by CIONIDE; 10-07-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
TPMS PVC trick works! UPDATED W/PICS
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144818

Thanks for the link but im gonna have to pass on that idea. A pressurized PVC pipe just doesnt sound like a smart plan.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come on, it's only around 30~ PSI!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Or you could save your money by not buying additonal sensors and place electrical tape over the light lol.

Worst idea ever was to make this system a requirement on all 2008 and up vehicles. The light will turn on way too often in the winter and when I installed my new wheels, the light didn't even turn on until after 40 miles of driving! Check your tire pressure on a regular basis and you'll be fine.
The worst idea ever was ABS brakes. Everyone knows that a highly skilled driver can stop shorter without ABS. TCS and VSC are close seconds and who needs air bags and seat belts?

I see where you're coming from but I suspect that you, like most of us car enthusiasts, are not the typical driver that doesn't check their tire pressure until someone points out to them that their tire(s) looks low. It's bad enough that we have to share the road with these clowns but it would be even worse without TPMS, TCS and VSC, etc. Jus sayin...

BTW, when I changed my wheels it also took a long time for the TPMS light to come on due to missing sensors but it comes on very quickly when a tire is low. I've also never had any false TPMS lights in over 3 years. My light comes on at about 27 psi which is great IMO.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive got 2 kids. I cant be playin around with anything safety related, this is why Im concerned when I heard about this.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 11xB
Ive got 2 kids. I cant be playin around with anything safety related, this is why Im concerned when I heard about this.
Opinions are like a__holes and in this a__hole's opinion, it's worth a few dollars to keep the TPMS intact. I paid about $200 for 4 new sensors and $100 for a ATEQ Quickset tool so I can switch back and forth between winter and summer rims/tires with TPMS intact year-round. If you're going to run the same rims/tires year-round and had the money for new rims, there's really no excuse for not transferring your TPMS sensors.

The timing of this subject, colder weather and recent events at my workplace are very timely. Yesterday one of my co-workers asked to borrow my 12v air pump amd TPG to check his tires. We discovered that his tire pressures were between 22-25 psi vs 32 psi recommended. Tonight another co-worker requested the same and this time his tire pressures ranged from 15-24psi. If you looked closely the 15 psi 45 series tire looked like it might be low on air but it wasn't obvious. None of these guys even knew that a tire loses 1 psi per month, on average. None of their tires lost all that air in a day, a week or a month.

FWIW, these are blue-collar men who work with their hands for a living, not college professors. They change their own oil, change their own spark plugs and some even do brakes. Unless you have a regimen for checking tire pressures and adhere to it strictly, it's very easy to lose track of time and neglect it. I've been guilty of this myself but the TPMS light reminded me long before there was any potential danger. I like my TPMS and do not advocate disabling it just to save a few sheckels to buy some uber-cool under-car LEDs or whatever bling seems more important than boring safety features.

</rant>
Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ i agree with that post i went the exact same route. even with the ateq system. sadly the shop i went to was stupid n didn't know how to properly install my tpms so rather than have them break them. I went without for the last two months. but try to check every three days. I still have my stock ones in my OEM tires so in the next week or so snow starts coming so im going to switch the tires. im looking forward to being able to rely on the tpms system during the winter.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wound up putting the sensors in my new wheels =)