Snow tires or chains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Snow tires or chains?

Hi,

I live in Tulsa Oklahoma and we don't get a ton of snow and ice, but we do get it sometimes. I don't plan on having a dedicated set of snow tires I put on for the season. Instead I plan on changing them if the weather is bad and I need to go out for some reason. My xB is kept in the garage and I could probably swap from my regular tires to a special set of snow tires in 30 min or so, maybe less. I've seen the Blizzak tires over at the tirerack, but my question is, how do these compare to something like just adding chains or vbelt chains? Would there be a benefit to adding chains/vbelt chains to a blizzak either?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't sweat it, I've still got street tires on my box and was just up in the cleveland area over christmas/new years. The Traction Control will get ya through about anything. Unless you've got some $ lyin around you don't mind droppin on a set of tires you'll hardly ever use... if you're still that worried about it, get the chains or belts, that way you can at least keep them with you and throw on in a pinch if needed.

Just my opinion though.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Snow Tires

Up here in the northeast - the stock Goodyears are awful. I am not a fan of all seasons in the snow. Once you put a set of 4 snow tires on - you will appreciate the difference between the stock tires!!!
I am on my second set of snows. First set were Cooper ST/2 - long lasting, pretty quiet for a snow tire, and can be studded. Good price.
My new tires are even better, best snow tire I can remember- Winterforce - by Tirerack.com. Great in the snow and slush, and can be studded, very reasonably priced. They are however noisier than the Coopers.
Changing tires is a pain - so chains might be a better way to go if you only need them a couple of times a year - I would be more inclined to buy a set of Coopers and run them for the winter.
The above tires are not as soft as the Blizzak type tires - but they wear much better. (Remember Blizzaks are only good in the snow for about 1/2 the tread depth before they lose their winter traction).
Hope this info is helpful.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with tires its not like snow will last forever.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check out the goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-3. i put them on, the tread is not ur usual winter tread. I live in ny but i am a traveling photographer that goes to texas and other southern states, plus winter tires will last longer than all seasons. it may just be me but i think the gw3's are quieter than the stock bridgestones that came on mine
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Ultra+Grip+GW3
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get around, rain or shine, sun and snow with OEM size all season tires just fine, and i'm lowered too. so long as you take it nice and easy, and understand how the snow will effect your handling and have patients. you'll do just fine.

it is the other idiots you have to be careful of who don't know how to drive in inclemet weather that will cause problems.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Chains are usually only for severe weather. You really don't want to be driving a lot with them on, they can damage your vehicle if installed incorrectly and there is a lot of room for error. If you are in an area that gets snow, it would be a good idea to pick up a set of snow tires especially with 2WD vehicles. Snow tires have a few things going for them that all seasons don't. 1. The tread is heavily sipped for more biting edges. 2. Special rubber compounds stay soft at below freezing temperatures and 3. Are usually purchased in sizes that are narrower and taller allowing more flex and better cutting through snow and slush. If you have snow tires and don't want to drive on them all winter (maybe because of the look of the wheels), look into buying a set of Momo snow wheels or just pic up some hubcaps for the steel wheels they may be on. Save your self the trouble of swapping them every time, the worst part of winter only last a few months anyway.