Notices

Spacers Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
SL Member

Default Spacers Dangerous?

10yrs ago I had an Oldsmobile and I wanted it's rear tires to stick out more. Belle Tire refused to put spacers on saying spacers were dangerous. Now I'm seeing everyone putting spacers on their xB's rear tires. Have they changed since then? I saw the ones at Autozone and Ichiba ones so is there a difference? I want to be able to pick out a set of rims and if the offset is 45 I don't want that to be a downer and not be able to use them. I really love the XXR 512's but a 0 offset in the front is not what I'm looking for. I want the rear rims to go flush with the fenders. Any and all input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am running Ichiba V2 Spacers for over a year never had a problem.

If you dont know the difference between Ichiba V1 vs. V2...need to GOOGLE and search more!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM
SL Member

The V2's seems to be a better set up. Little more expensive but looks safer. I've also found a set of 17"Bullitt rims off a 09 Mustang (30 offset) that would look nice w/o having to use spacers. It's been harder to decide on what rims to get than it was deciding which car to buy!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

I'm running weapon-r/fatlace wheel spacers...had them on for over a year and no issues. as long as you torque the lugs down on the spacers properly to spec and torque the wheel lugs onto the spacer to spec you should be good...you hear these horror stories about spacers because people are idiots and ignore their own safety.

anything over 10mm spacer youll need to buy spacers with studs on it as the factory studs will be too short if you dont...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

H&R 10 mm . From 011/012 Camry

Last edited by vancouverray; 06-15-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Wrong
Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm running 10mm up front and 15mm in the rear, both slip-on. Haven't had a problem and they came with extended studs.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:14 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mystik
I'm running weapon-r/fatlace wheel spacers...had them on for over a year and no issues. as long as you torque the lugs down on the spacers properly to spec and torque the wheel lugs onto the spacer to spec you should be good...you hear these horror stories about spacers because people are idiots and ignore their own safety.

anything over 10mm spacer youll need to buy spacers with studs on it as the factory studs will be too short if you dont...
Horror stories is exactly why I asked this question. Here are a few...

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...-not-safe.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...2-spacers.html

Going to start off with just the stock steelies with a 15mm spacer in the rear. I actually was told by the local tire shop that they would refuse to put the 30 offset Mustang Bullitt wheels on my xB because to offset was too low, go figure!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Running 25mm H&R for the rear of my 89 Celica, no problems, just make sure all is torqued down, and check the torque one more time after a drive to make sure no bolts have loosened, then you won't have to worry about them anymore. Discount tire will not install drilled wheels(I had another pattern drilled into a set of wheels).
Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xb2owner
Horror stories is exactly why I asked this question. Here are a few...

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...-not-safe.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...2-spacers.html

Going to start off with just the stock steelies with a 15mm spacer in the rear. I actually was told by the local tire shop that they would refuse to put the 30 offset Mustang Bullitt wheels on my xB because to offset was too low, go figure!
Sounds like you need a new tire shop............OR you could put your own wheels on :?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Depending on the tire size and width andof the Bullit wheels and the drop of the car, they should fit without a problem.
Weird that those studs broke on those guys. Run a slip on. They work great.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mystik
If I installed 10mm spacers on my XB2 I'd have less than 1mm of thread engagement left! That's less than 1/2 turn on each nut that would hopefully strip off when torqued so that the car wouldn't actually be moving when the wheels fall off.

The oem studs are sized for steelies and oem alloys that use deeply recessed mag style wheel nuts. When switching to aftermarket alloys with conical seats the oem studs may not be long enough.

In short, unless you're running steelies or oem alloys you can't safely run any studless spacers on the XB2 without extended studs. The acid test is if you have 8 full turns minimum per nut on 12x1.5mm studs. Any less is not safe.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Depending on the tire size and width andof the Bullit wheels and the drop of the car, they should fit without a problem.
Weird that those studs broke on those guys. Run a slip on. They work great.
Bullitt rims are 17x8 and I plan on running 235/45 17's no lowering or dropping planned of any kind. Can't figure out why they refused to put them on. Would 30 offset ruin my drivetrain or suspension any worse than stock 45 offset?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Not at all, but OEM steel wheel size is 16x6.5 if I recall correctly. The fact that these new wheels will be an 8" wide, you'll have .75" more poke.

I honestly see no problem with running them if you're not considering lowering the car. Even with the NF210 springs, I think you'd be fine.

Awaiting CIONIDE approval.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Not at all, but OEM steel wheel size is 16x6.5 if I recall correctly. The fact that these new wheels will be an 8" wide, you'll have .75" more poke.

I honestly see no problem with running them if you're not considering lowering the car. Even with the NF210 springs, I think you'd be fine.

Awaiting CIONIDE approval.
Or the old man approval. Ken where you at? LOL
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM
SL Member

What about just placing the Ichiba spacers on the stock steelies? Did a search on here and only one person posted something about it but got no real answers. I've noticed no one has done this, any reasons? Might do this until I come up with $$$$ for new wheels and tires. Again, maybe 10-15mm on rear and none up front. Will 10 or 15 Ichiba V2 work w/o having to cut the stock studs because if so this whole thing ain't gonna happen. Also would like to know if 225/55's would fit on our stock steelies.

Last edited by xb2owner; 06-21-2012 at 05:03 PM.