Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Tire Moniters

Guess what guys..

I was looking at the saftey Equip on the Scion Site. The 08 xbs come with these tire moniters that most toyotas come with.

There is good and bad on these new devices..

The good- an idiot lite will come on when your tire is low. Including the Spare tire.

The bad- most of us will put after market wheels on the 08 xbs. GUess what you either can purchase anouther set of 4 moniters. or take out the one from the stock wheels.. or just dont put them in and live with the light being on. This thing arent cheap.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind too, that those federally required tire pressure monitor system sensors in the tire valves are battery powered, and the lithium batteries only last about five years.

I expect that those localities that have vehicle inspections will want them to be working...

Tom
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
federally required
I did not know that. I wondered why everybody was adding these.

I don't know how the xB will work, but in my wife's 06 Prius when we put her winter tire and wheels (sans TPMS equipment) the light came on the first time and then went out. I don't think it ever came back on. If it did it went out shortly after starting the car.

So if the xB works like that, it is not a big deal to just dump the TPMS. Since you already have it, I guess I would keep it installed on the primary wheels.

Tom's advice is probably right on if you live someplace that does vehicle inspections. I would plan to get that done with the set that has the TPMS installed. I agree that if these are federally mandated, the vehicle inspections will include checking to see if it is present and functional. Luckily I do not have that hassle where I currently live.

I would think planning to change the batteries at the tire replacement around the 4 year mark would be the way to go. That is assuming that they need to have the tire/ wheel disassembled to do this. Good thing to keep in mind.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get a little more information about the wheel mounted sensors in the tC wagon over in the tC coupé tire forum. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=119

Start, maybe, with this topic: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132535

Tom
Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get a little more information about the wheel mounted sensors in the tC wagon over in the tC coupé tire forum.
People keep calling it a tC wagon like that is a bad thing. Regardless as how you feel about the new xB, this really makes no sense.

The only similarity between the new xB and the tC is the engine and transmission. As far as I can tell, none of the other parts are shared (I guess air pressure monitors are, but I am sure many Toyotas use a similar system). The new xB has a completely different chassis than any other american-sold toyota, including the tC. The xB is no more a tC wagon than it is a Camry wagon or lowered Rav4, as they all share the same engine and tranny as well (albeit with a slightly taller final drive ratio).

The old xB and xA are actually a lot more like Echo wagons, as they are actually based on the Echo chassis and share the engine and tranny.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

you wouldn't want to purchase another set of monitors anyway..

reprogramming the ecu to accept the new sensors isn't a cheap process...

it's kinda fast... but only if you have the right tool... which its cost is normally in the thousands.

better just to remove them from the old rims and install in the new ones... just like how the '07 tC owners have been having to do.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fiero, I don't say tC wagon like it's a bad thing, but just to remind folks that the xB2 shares more design features with the tC than it does with the xB.

This isn't to badmouth the xB2 in any way, just to re-focus folks who may be used to xBs, into considering looking at some of the tC stuff for info and ideas.

What we have is a wagon body on an Avensis sedan suspension with tC engine, etc. Very little of the xB2 is derived from xB parts or design.

(This is part of the problem with Scion calling it an xB instead of giving it it's own name. It connects it to the original xB in people's minds, instead of giving it a fresh start as a new vehicle with some similarities to the tC.)

Tom

P.S. Yes, you are correct that the xA is an Echo hatchback and the xB an Echo urban utility. That is a proper focus and even though many of the drivetrain and suspension parts differ between the Echo sedan and the xB, for example, some of them can be swapped.

Owning both an xA and an xB, I know there is a kinship with the Echo sedan, and that expands the parts and ideas that are readily usable in the hatchback and utility.

That's one big reason for xB2 folks to look to the tC for some parts and ideas.

T
Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to Car and Driver, the new xB is based on the Auris hatchback.

"The xB rides on an all-new platform similar to that of the Auris, Toyota’s funky European hatchback."

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...-scion-xb.html

Further reinforcing the differing roots are the details. Compared to the tC, the xB rides on a 4" shorter wheelbase, has a completely different rear suspension design, and (one of the most tell-tale tidbits of a platform) a different wheel bolt pattern (not yet confirmed).

It is not based on the Avensis, that is just what everyone assumed once they heard about the engine/tranny.

As far as I could tell in about 15 minutes of research, the Avensis is not related to the Auris.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, we now have a gen-u-ine expert to go to for xB2 questions!

I'll just go back to playing with the original then. :D

Enjoy, y'all!
Tom
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, we now have a gen-u-ine expert to go to for xB2 questions!

I'll just go back to playing with the original then. :D

Enjoy, y'all!
Tom
Guess you gotta stick with what ya know.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Judging by the available info on the optional TRD wheel for the xB2, they seem pretty normal:

Part Number: PTR20-52080

Product Information:
TRD 19" 5 Spoke lower pressure cast aluminum wheel with gun metal painted finish and deep bright machined aluminum lip clear coated. 19" x 8", Recommended tire 235/35 19" Wheel Kit includes Wheel and Cap only. PPO Package includes Wheel installation kit (PTR27-52081), 16 Spline Drive Lug Nuts and 4 TRD Wheel Locks with installation tools.

Note: TRD 19" x 8.0" x 48 mm, 5 on 114.3 mm P.C.D. Conical Seat 5-Spoke Wheel w/ bright machine lip.
They don't match the 5x100 tC wheels, though. Surprising.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I meant is that the xB uses a 5 X 114.3mm bolt pattern, and they tC uses a 5 X 100mm.

The 5 X 114.3mm pattern is common on many Toyota products, (Camry, etc), but it is different than the tC.

It reinforces the idea that they are on different platforms, because one platform RARELY has more than one wheel bolt pattern, as you would have to change many different parts to change the pattern (hubs, brakes, wheels, etc), and in this case there seems to be little reason to do so.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Sophisticated Scions
SL Member

so has anyone had any problems with the sensors that have changed their wheels and reinstalled the sensors
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scikowife
so has anyone had any problems with the sensors that have changed their wheels and reinstalled the sensors
I'd like to know this as well. I have my new wheels ordered and they said they will transfer them over. But whether or not they work completely depends on the wheel design. America's Tire offered to transfer them free of charge.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Sophisticated Scions
SL Member

I got mine done at the toyota dealership today and they didnt say anything about problems and I dont have any lights flashing at me. I personally know one of the service writers and he would have told me if there was a problem
Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked with America's Tire where I will be picking up my new wheels to see if they had any problem with the pressure monitors. They said they never have and are 100% confident that they will be able to move them over.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems it really would have to be a very unusual wheel design that would cause a problem. Most wheels are really pretty similar in interior silhouette. I think the problem might come if the valve stem holes are at some odd angle that doesn't give enough free space behind the valve on the inside. Otherwise, no big deal.

Tom
Old 05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems it really would have to be a very unusual wheel design that would cause a problem. Most wheels are really pretty similar in interior silhouette. I think the problem might come if the valve stem holes are at some odd angle that doesn't give enough free space behind the valve on the inside. Otherwise, no big deal.
That's exactly correct Tom. I have a set of Madhi wheels on my NSX that I actually think would not work. The reason is the valve stem comes out a tight hole that goes through the disk to mask the step as a rivet. The valve stem for the xB2 wheels is too large to fit through that hole. But you are spot on about the issue...
Old 05-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Default tire pressure monitor system

is there a way to disconnect the tpms system or to shut the light off completely. or has anybody tried.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

America's Tire just removed the TPMs this weekend with a deep socket wrench and moved them over to my Enkei WDM wheels without a hitch. Looked to be quite easy. Here's a picture of the TPM in my new wheel.

Quick Reply: Tire Moniters