Notices

Tire pressure sensors Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Tire pressure sensors Help!

Hi, New to the Forum but not to Scion. I loved my 2005 XB and just bought a 2008 Silver XB. I have added the rear spoiler and TRD springs. I want to add new wheels and tires but I am having trouble getting the part # for the TPMS sensors. I have spoken to two dealers and neither has the part numbers. I do not want to remove the sensor from the factor steel wheels. I plan on keeping the factory wheels for winter use. Can anyone help me with the part numbers for the sensors? I have the wheels and tires picked out but need the sensors. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will ask a friend that works for scion this week

also, do you know the bolt pattern and offset for new wheels for the 08 box
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 AM

Thanks for your help. The bolt pattern and offset I have seen from other post on the forum are 5x114.3 with an offset of 40. There seem to be plety of wheel options that will work.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks

what i found out is the tpms sensor are the same as the ones in the camry.

tirerack sells them too. there are generic that are work great

a friend of mine has a gm product and went to discount tire. they sell them too.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 AM

great thanks for the info. I checked with tire rack and have no info at all on the new xb. They will not guarantee any fitment on the new xb.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used the camry se with tpms for my fitment and i am ording wheels with them tomorro
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Default TPMS

I bought the TRD 19s and wanted to put the monitoring units in my new wheels...$500.00+!! Needless to say, they are putting the ones from the stock wheels in the new 19s.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 PM

u can get em at tirerack.com but i think it cost a grip
Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I heard rumors that TPMS sensors from steelies might not fit in the alloys, at least there are 2 different models of the actual sensors. Any input?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

they should fit..

however after all that work... every single time you switch them out.. you ened to have a toyota scantool to reprogram the car to accept the new sensors.. which you will also need to ensure you have every single serial number from those sensors written down and stored properly.

that process alone is tedious... and regardless.. you're going to have to open up your stock wheels anyway to get the right numbers for when you put them back on.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

You should be able to read the numbers without opening the wheels up. I replaced wheels on the Z (put '06 5-spoke18s instead of ugly-ish '05 17s) and the tech just walked around with the scantool reading the IDs of the sensors and then typed them in the scantool and uploaded to the ECU. took 10 minutes, I got billed for an hour - $125
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 AM

Anyone know how to bypass the sensors all together. Seems like the cost is way out of line for the benefit.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by weidner6
Anyone know how to bypass the sensors all together. Seems like the cost is way out of line for the benefit.
+1^

There must be a way to disable the whole system...either via OBD II or unpluging the reciever somehow.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am not sure if there is/is not a way to do it. I know it is illegal to do it however.

Also, any confirmation on using camry sensors ? I know there is no "generic" listing for the xB sensors. But I don't want to try camry ones unless they are known to work.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jerkstore
Originally Posted by weidner6
+1^

There must be a way to disable the whole system...either via OBD II or unpluging the reciever somehow.
Here's an idea I got from my bro, drill 3 more holes in your spare rim and install your sensors there.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScioXBox

Here's an idea I got from my bro, drill 3 more holes in your spare rim and install your sensors there.
Genius. I'll try it. It may also be possible to put all the sensors in a small pressure tank and add some air.

Does anyone know if the sensors work off of pressure difference, or is it based off of actual PSI? The reason I ask is because my Xterra TPMS system only goes off when there is a large difference in pressure between the tires (one at 10psi and the rest at 30 for example). You can put all the tires at 2psi and it won't set it off. If the xB system is based on "difference" then in theory you should be able to keep them in the glove box and call it done.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't know if this is fact. But I was reading some information published on Toyota's TPMS and it mentioned the difference in how a low pressure tire turns/rides compared to the others. It made it seem like it wasn't actually going off based on just PSI but also on the unstable rolling of a lower PSI tire.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Previous gen TPMS ('05-'06 tC) was ABS-based - so it was measuring rotation speed of the wheels and looking for the differences. Modern ones ('07 tC, '08 xB/xD) have actual sensors in the tires that look at PSI.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if your having a questions or problems with ur Tire Pressure Sensors.. or light check out my thread.. it will help. if not just PM me

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can always just drive around with the little light on like I do. I don't even notice it.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors Help!