Notices

Wheel balance issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 AM
SL Member

Default Wheel balance issue?

Help!
I just had my local Discount Tire install a tire & wheel pkg of 17x7 Enkie wheels w/BF Goodrich tires. After mounting I immediately noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel and a shaking in my seat at various speeds. Took it back to Discount Tire where they mounted centering rings on the hubs. The second test drive was smoother but the shaking persisted both front and rear at various speeds. Back a third time to Discount Tire for re-balance and shift fronts to back and back to front. Third test drive was the best yet but steering still shakes at speeds above 60mph. Discount tire says the tires and wheels are perfectly balanced and don't know what to do next.

I don't want to go back to my stock steel wheels which were perfectly smooth at all speeds so what can I do? Discount Tire also checked the brakes on my XB for any pulsating...they are as smooth as glass when applied. Any suggestions to correct this issue would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my suggestion would be to throw the stockies back on anyway and test it out to see if it stil does it (i know you said they are smooth) but it's a good way to narrow things down to make sure that it didn't happen while they were doing something to the car.

If it doesn't shake with the stock wheels on chances are it's a bent rim, tire is out of round, or the guy balancing it really sucks at it or just isn't doing his job.

g/l
Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats the same story I had with my old car. Problem is, I sold my stock wheels before I got it all figured out. I ended up driving with the vibration for a year and then selling the car.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you could watch them spin the wheels on the balancer. One of the tires may have a hop in it or something. Either that or their machine is out of calibration.