Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine damper

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine damper

Anyone know what companies I can bug to get an engine damper for the xD? Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was also wondering if we could get away with using the yaris or tC dampers
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking into using a Yaris damper, BUT, it will require a modification to one of the the brackets. The one on the engine side.

The 2ZR engine is a little longer than the 1NZ and the engine mount is different.

The company to bug here would be Ingalls but I REALLY doubt that they will show interest on an aplication for the xD.

Your best would be to get a Yaris damper and modify one of the brackets OR just get a universal damper and have both brakets custom made.

I already snaped a tranny mount exiting a corner aftter a heavy shift from first to second gear. I could really use a damper to prevent this from happening again!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why would a company not have an interest in making parts for the xD, but make them for the Yaris? I know when I think about performance Yaris is the first Toyota that comes to mind.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yaris has a better weight ratio then a lot of cars in the auto cross/ time attack circuits and has oodles of aftermarket goodies from a loving Japan aftermarket. Hence why the last car showi was at there was about 4 to 1 ratio of yaris' to xDs. Only reason we have certain parts like springs etc is thanks to the Yaris since we share chassis. So don't go knocking it ;)
Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CASTREX
I've been looking into using a Yaris damper, BUT, it will require a modification to one of the the brackets. The one on the engine side.

The 2ZR engine is a little longer than the 1NZ and the engine mount is different.

The company to bug here would be Ingalls but I REALLY doubt that they will show interest on an aplication for the xD.

Your best would be to get a Yaris damper and modify one of the brackets OR just get a universal damper and have both brakets custom made.

I already snaped a tranny mount exiting a corner aftter a heavy shift from first to second gear. I could really use a damper to prevent this from happening again!!!
yea I figured there would be a problem along those lines, thats why I was maybe thinking the tC also. Worse case scenario I guess me and my brother can fab something up to make it work. I'll shoot Ingalls a e-mail too for the hell of it.

That sucks about the tranny mount but I do feel a little weakness in the support on it when shifting sometimes. Should bug Energy Suspensions for some polyurethane goodies too.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too had a trans mount go bad... a rubber insulator between the mount itself, and the mount on the trans got torn to hell. Made horrible vibrations, which in the end I found out what was wrong but had it warrantied. Toyota dealer basically told me, deal with the noise until something breaks then bring it in. Hah
Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
Yaris has a better weight ratio then a lot of cars in the auto cross/ time attack circuits and has oodles of aftermarket goodies from a loving Japan aftermarket. Hence why the last car showi was at there was about 4 to 1 ratio of yaris' to xDs. Only reason we have certain parts like springs etc is thanks to the Yaris since we share chassis. So don't go knocking it ;)
Yeah but it still doesn't looks like something that screams bad azz performance car. Atleast the xD looks aggressive.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silver06
Yeah but it still doesn't looks like something that screams bad azz performance car. Atleast the xD looks aggressive.
But think about getting outdriven by a Yaris... No one would expect it...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmrepp
I too had a trans mount go bad... a rubber insulator between the mount itself, and the mount on the trans got torn to hell. Made horrible vibrations, which in the end I found out what was wrong but had it warrantied. Toyota dealer basically told me, deal with the noise until something breaks then bring it in. Hah
Yeah that's the same part that fail... not the mount but the insulator. Something I found at the dealer is that the tranny mount is the same for the 1NZ engine and for the 2ZR. Now, with the added torque and weight I can see why this part failed.

This insulator should be pretty easy to have it made on a stronger material
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silver06
Why would a company not have an interest in making parts for the xD, but make them for the Yaris? I know when I think about performance Yaris is the first Toyota that comes to mind.
Did I ever said that a company such as Ingalls would pick the Yaris over the xD?

Do you know that Ingalls does NOT make a damper for the Yaris either? Nor any well known company...

The only Yaris damper option is the Nitto damper, which is made by a Thai company.

The Yaris in the US has very little aftermaket support, same as the xD... but on the other hand... it has tons on love form Japanese and Thai aftermaket companies.

And I see no reason for bashing the Yaris, concidering that the xD is like the Yaris Son....
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

quote]

But think about getting outdriven by a Yaris... No one would expect it...[/quote]

What about a Yaris with an xD engine??? That's my car...

[/code][/list]
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CASTREX

What about a Yaris with an xD engine??? That's my car...

Interesting!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that the t sport or did u swap?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that the t sport or did u swap?
Yeap.

Yaris T-Sport 2008
5 door

1.8L 2ZR-FE Engine
17" OE wheels
4 wheel disk brakes
ABS
trac Control / VSC

Mods:
Tein Basic Coilovers
Custom magnaflow exhaust 2.25" with a secondary cat delete
HKS air filter
Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 PM
SL Member

niiice love it!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's so cute!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would probably own one of those if they had brought it to the states but I saw the xD as a good counterpart and filled my vehicle needs atm

I'll be trying to order a yaris damper within the month to finagle around with the mount. If you guys could, bug energysuspensions for polyurethane mounts for our car. I was told theres no eta for r&d right now. I'm also going to be taking my car to my brothers shop to compare the chassis' and everything with my brothers yaris to make sure all components such as the chassis bars etc will fit properly.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great news guys, the Ingalls damper for the 08 xB will work on our cars!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really? Pics please!

Quick Reply: Engine damper