Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Replacing restricted section of exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacing restricted section of exhaust system

I recently purchased the TRD axle back exhaust for my xD. I read all of the wonderful information here prior to making that choice and when it came, I went to the exhaust shop to have them chop out the 1.5" ID tubing on the stock exhaust. I asked them to cut it off in front of the resonator, and to run new 2.25" ID back to the new TRD exhaust, chopping off the 1.5" ID flange on the TRP exhaust. This would make the entire exhaust system 2.25" ID. Seemed like the most popular way to go, and best for performance. The exhaust shop said, "Don't waste your money!". With the bends required and the fact that the 1.5" ID section is all open pipe, it would virtually make no difference to performance, just maybe make it a little bit louder is all. They also wanted over $200 to make the one section and thats not even stainless. My question is, am I getting bad information? I went ahead and hung the TRD exhaust on the existing system for now as I can always have that middle section replaced later. Any feedback would be appreciated!

ps: The TRD exhaust sure sounds great, and if nothing else, makes me feel like the car is faster, as it sure sounds faster!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The gains are there... but as almost everything else with his car the gains are small.

Is the sum of all minor gains that will make a difference.

Does it worth it? It really depends on you...

For the same money you expend modding a xD you can get double the power in another platform.. So for many people doesn't worth.

In the other hand there are people like me... : )

And I say go for it!! You already bought the expensive TRD axle back.

I would as well replace that mid pipe. I even deleted the secondary cat.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Castrex!

I drove to a performance exhaust shop today and had them run the 2.25" from the CAT back to the TRD exhaust, cut the flange off the TRD exhaust and welded everything together. They advised against the removal of the 2nd CAT, said the odds of getting a CEL would go way up. It certainly is louder than it was with the resonator and the 1.5" mid-section.

I agree on the issues with performance gains... If I wanted the fastest car, I would never have bought the xD. It's a great car, carries everything I need, my kayaks, skis, bikes... and it has character... I just hope to make it even more enjoyable to tool around in, and add some personality...

Sitting here waiting on my CAI, and only the oil cap showed up from Fujita... Oh well, patience is a virtue they say..

For anyone considering swapping out the stock exhaust, I would say go for it... total cost for the xD, and the replacement of the mid exhaust from the 2nd CAT back to the new TRD exhaust and removing the 1.5" flange on the front of the TRD was about $575 installed.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had my mid section replaced with the 2.25 piping from the back side of the resonator to the stock muffler. I know that some people might not necessarily agree, but according to Dynolycious (Accelerometer App) on my iPhone, this mod picked up 4 HP at the wheels. This is based upon an average of two run full out runs (getting on the highway) preformed back to back. My thoughts are that this gain is more prevalent with the addition of a CAI, which was added prior to the mid section exhaust replacement.

The garden hose like exhaust pipe that come off the resonator probably flows good enough in stock form, but that is probably not the case once the motor starts to breath more freely. With the intake taking in more air and the motor being able to run more efficiently, it becomes necessary to expel the exhaust gases more freely.

In my opinion this is a great, inexpensive mode that provides a literal "bang for your buck".
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by w_kary
Thanks Castrex!

I drove to a performance exhaust shop today and had them run the 2.25" from the CAT back to the TRD exhaust, cut the flange off the TRD exhaust and welded everything together. They advised against the removal of the 2nd CAT, said the odds of getting a CEL would go way up. It certainly is louder than it was with the resonator and the 1.5" mid-section.

I agree on the issues with performance gains... If I wanted the fastest car, I would never have bought the xD. It's a great car, carries everything I need, my kayaks, skis, bikes... and it has character... I just hope to make it even more enjoyable to tool around in, and add some personality...

Sitting here waiting on my CAI, and only the oil cap showed up from Fujita... Oh well, patience is a virtue they say..

For anyone considering swapping out the stock exhaust, I would say go for it... total cost for the xD, and the replacement of the mid exhaust from the 2nd CAT back to the new TRD exhaust and removing the 1.5" flange on the front of the TRD was about $575 installed.
Cool...!

I have a 4` round 14 long magnaflow resonator in place of the OEM. It helped quite things down. Just in case the loud exhaust starts getting in your nerves later on.

Oh, and there are no CEL issues caused by the removal of the secondary Cat. O2 sensor just in front of the secondary cat is picking up the readings from the primary cat only. The sensor won´t even notice the cat behin him is gone.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CASTREX
Originally Posted by w_kary
Thanks Castrex!

Cool...!

I have a 4` round 14 long magnaflow resonator in place of the OEM. It helped quite things down. Just in case the loud exhaust starts getting in your nerves later on.

Oh, and there are no CEL issues caused by the removal of the secondary Cat. O2 sensor just in front of the secondary cat is picking up the readings from the primary cat only. The sensor won´t even notice the cat behin him is gone.
I agree with the O2 sensor located where it is, really a non issue, but I didn't feel like arguing with the mechanic, and it is important to be nice to Mother Nature! As for loud... what did you say????

I guess I'll have to add sound deadening to my to do list!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coloskydiver
I had my mid section replaced with the 2.25 piping from the back side of the resonator to the stock muffler. I know that some people might not necessarily agree, but according to Dynolycious (Accelerometer App) on my iPhone, this mod picked up 4 HP at the wheels. This is based upon an average of two run full out runs (getting on the highway) preformed back to back. My thoughts are that this gain is more prevalent with the addition of a CAI, which was added prior to the mid section exhaust replacement.

The garden hose like exhaust pipe that come off the resonator probably flows good enough in stock form, but that is probably not the case once the motor starts to breath more freely. With the intake taking in more air and the motor being able to run more efficiently, it becomes necessary to expel the exhaust gases more freely.

In my opinion this is a great, inexpensive mode that provides a literal "bang for your buck".
Good deal! I too beleive there are some gains, my Fujita CAI should be here tomorrow, so that should boos it some more. At the end of the day the xD is not a fast car, but it certainly is a fun car!