Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sticky Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sticky Clutch Pedal

My clutch pedal seems to have a sticky head. I'm not sure how to explain this clearly, but I'll try.

The clutch itself doesn't stick when I push it in to start the car or shift gears, but the pedal part that you put your foot on (not the shaft of the clutch) sticks a little when I push on it. So I'll push on it, it will move in about 1 inch on the shaft of the clutch and then the shaft goes down engaging the clutch as I keep pressing. But there's about an inch or so of play on the top part of the pedal.

Is this just a matter of the clutch pedal needing to be more tightly attached to the shaft of the clutch? Or does everyone else's manual xd's do the same thing?

I just picked it up on Saturday and didn't notice this until now. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you mean that when you push it down, it takes a little bit for it to push the clutch in, or do you mean something is wrong, like the clutch pedal moves or something other than it's intended direction of travel? Nothing weird here...
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if im reading it correctly, thats normal. you don't really want the clutch to be engaging as you press it as that can make driving a lot harder. this basically allows you to ride the clutch pedal without engaging it so its easier to go neutral or switch gears without damaging the tranny. most cars/manufactuers vary on their location of where the clutch engages.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmrepp
Do you mean that when you push it down, it takes a little bit for it to push the clutch in, or do you mean something is wrong, like the clutch pedal moves or something other than it's intended direction of travel? Nothing weird here...
No, it doesn't feel like the clutch pedal moves in a weird direction, but the actual top of the clutch pedal, where you put your foot to press on , wiggles a bit. I can press it down about on inch and that part of the clutch pedal that you press on will depress down without actually engaging the clutch. Then as I keep pressing past that inch of give, the clutch will go down.

f im reading it correctly, thats normal. you don't really want the clutch to be engaging as you press it as that can make driving a lot harder. this basically allows you to ride the clutch pedal without engaging it so its easier to go neutral or switch gears without damaging the tranny. most cars/manufactuers vary on their location of where the clutch engages.
Its more like a wiggly pedal head itself, not the clutch engaging point. But I feel like I'm not explaining it as clearly as I could! LOL

Thank you for the replies! Sorry I'm having a touch time describing this in words.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the rubber part moving separately from the plastic part of the clutch pedal assembly (plastic part being what the rubber mounts to) or something? The clutch doesn't engage as soon as you start pressing on the pedal, it takes about an inch before it starts to engage.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmrepp
Is the rubber part moving separately from the plastic part of the clutch pedal assembly (plastic part being what the rubber mounts to) or something? The clutch doesn't engage as soon as you start pressing on the pedal, it takes about an inch before it starts to engage.
That pretty much sounds like what is happening. It doesn't affect how the car drives, I just wanted to see if it was normal. I feel that 1inch of give when I am letting the clutch up too. I"ll have it pressed in to shift and when I let it out, it's smooth all the way until the top inch or so and then it kind of pops the rest of the way up. It kind of hitches on the last bit up, just like it hitches or has that 1 inch or so of wiggle room on the way down.

A better way to describe it I guess would be that instead of one solid/smooth up and down movement when I press and release the clutch, it feels like the up and down movement of my clutch pedal is divided into 2 movements (one small and one long).
Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm that's odd. You can tell the clutch doesn't engage right away on mine, but it doesn't hitch on anything, its pretty smooth all the way to the floor, although a lot more force is required to press it down than say a tC.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it's smooth to the floor, just the top of the clutch pedal itself seems to have about an inch of give where you press it and it doesn't affect the clutch until I press the rest of the way and then the clutch depresses. Does that make sense?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That'd be normal
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah....Thanks!

My RX8 didn't do that. The top of the clutch pedal was pretty securely attached to the rest of the clutch pedal and didn't have any give at all.