Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cargo space-snowboard and skis

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Default Cargo space-snowboard and skis

My husband and I are looking for a small hatchback with MT. So far we've driven a honda fit (automatic), nissan versa and Scion xD. The fit didn't have enough power with an AT and they didn't have a MT available to drive. I couldn't see the front hood of the versa due to the dashboard style which I didn't like. I really liked the Scion xD, but it has the smallest cargo space. I know we could get racks, but have never needed too. Even in our old Toyota tercel we could get skis inside to fit up between the front driver and passenger seats. So my questions:

Will a snowboard fit in the back of the xD?
Will skis fit up through the front seats?
Also, the seats don't fold flat. Is there an arrangement with the split seats to access a cooler in back for driving trips (where there's two of us) and still have enough room for your gear?

We're also interested in the 1.8L matrix (none available) and pontiac vibe (but haven't made it over there yet...and the hubby has trouble picturing himself in a pontiac).
Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The seats do fold flat Just have to mess with the levers on the seats to get them to go down and make sure the two front seats are up enough for them to go flat.

I'm not sure if skiis or a snowboard would fit back there, I would assume they would but it might be tight. I doubt the dealership would have a problem with you two bringing in some of your gear to make sure it fits ok Anything for a sale lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:37 PM

The rear seats do fold flat, and better than many hatchbacks (although the Fit's rear seat is very nice too). Use the wider lever to scoot the whole seat forward, then use the narrower lever to bring it down. Teach side folds flat down into the footwell, and then a panel can fold over the gap they left so it's all flat.

There's definitely room for 2 people and a cooler and some luggage. Not sure about skis and snowboards since I don't know how big they are.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM

my brother and i have used my xd to haul both or our snowboards and gear and clothes for a week from LA to Mammoth Lakes and everything fits. You will be suprised at how much the little D will swallow up!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 AM

Thank you. It looks like we'll go out next weekend for a second look. It is very reassuring to learn that the seats fold flat and thank you for the instructions as I was not able to accomplish this feat last week when I tried. It looks like the snowboard is a go, so now it is just the skis...