Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Iphone 3g issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Iphone 3g issue

Hello,

I recently purchased the iphone 3g to replace my itouch. Well when i connected it to the ipod cable to the standard pioneer radio it came with and i noticed a major difference. When i used to connect my itouch i was able to play my music through the radio speakers, use the controls on my speakers and charge my itouch all at the same time.

Well with the iphone 3g is limited to only playing music over the radio and use the controls on my steering wheel. The iphone simply wont charge at all! I get a warning message telling me that the cable is not a compatible iphone accessory and that i have the option to go to airport mode. I tried that but it still wont let me charge the phone. Has anyone had this problem with the new iphone or even the old one at all? Is there a work around? Does toyota have a separate cable thats compatible for the iphone? If so how did you get it?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the cable but rather the firmware. I've read that people with the iTouch and the 1st gen iphone can connect just fine but after upgrading to new firmware were unable to connect. Scion needs to release upgraded firmware for their stereos so that they can work with the new iphones their firmware. Also, you might want to try this and see if it helps: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7575043
Old 07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I updated my iphone (1st gen) to the 2.0 and my phone works fine. Make sure the Ipod cable is completely connected. Wiggle it in and press really hard to make sure both sides of the connector are locked in.

When I picked up my rs1 on Saturday I plugged in my iphone and got the "go to airplane mode" message. Just hit NO and you will be able to control your Iphone and it will play through the car as usual. I noticed that when I first tried to connect it wasn't plugged in all the way and the radio screen said: incompatible. But after I unplugged and made sure it was plugged in all the way (I'm serious when I say you have to press pretty hard and wiggle it around a bit to get a solid connection) it worked perfectly.

I upgraded the firmware on Saturday night and have been playing my iphone through the IPOD connector on my scion with no issues.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

word on the street is the new iphone wont charge with regular car cable... Something apple did to the new phones...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
s2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
word on the street is the new iphone wont charge with regular car cable... Something apple did to the new phones...
Oh really? That sucks.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just like Apple to completely f|k up a good setup to keep people buying their specific accessories :? Don't get me wrong, Apple has some great products but their practices are just.. wrong.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Ya, I just bought an iPhone 3G and it won't charge. Plays through my stereo just fine, but a message pops up on my iPhone screen that says "Charging is not supported by this device." I have the Alpine Nav / DVD system in my XB. My Touch (not upgraded to 2.0 yet) works just fine.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apple swapped the charging chips from being Firewire/USB compatible to only USB compatible, each of those use different pins on the cable, and Firewire is +12V like a cars standard current, and USB is +5V, well, most car/accesory makers took the easy way out and figured Apple wouldn't follow through on their claim that they would swap out the circuitry in the coming years, and now tons of people are left with accesories that don't charge the new 3G iPhones because they were made using the Firewire charging method and not the USB one...

and this sucks hardcore, and it's totally not OK with me, and I've made my voice heard at Apple and at Toyota/Scion.

The only glimmer of hope for this is rumors about accesory makers working on some sort of adapter, which is actually pretty easy to do... move the pins to the correct location with a resistor between to limit the current to 5V instead of 12V, and voi-la, it'd work, at least, that's how I understand it... I'm about to look up the details and try something like this for myself..... I really need my phone to charge in the car..
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 AM

Default USB / Firewire

So wait... it looks like a USB port, but it's really a firewire port? I thought that one side of a firewire connector had an arrow shape and the other side was flat. By contrast, USB is just a rectangular shape. Are they both supposed to be 4-pin - just different pinouts?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a generic mp3 player and it will not charge using the USB connector on my 2010 xB. What the heck is up with that? it charges on every other USB I've ever used. I guess this is the problem with the USB-looking firewire setup that Scion is using?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 AM
SL Member

Makes no sense since the 2009 xD was out after the iPhone 3G, but yes we have to buy this for them to function correctly.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by optional
Apple swapped the charging chips from being Firewire/USB compatible to only USB compatible, each of those use different pins on the cable, and Firewire is +12V like a cars standard current, and USB is +5V, well, most car/accesory makers took the easy way out and figured Apple wouldn't follow through on their claim that they would swap out the circuitry in the coming years, and now tons of people are left with accesories that don't charge the new 3G iPhones because they were made using the Firewire charging method and not the USB one...

and this sucks hardcore, and it's totally not OK with me, and I've made my voice heard at Apple and at Toyota/Scion.

The only glimmer of hope for this is rumors about accesory makers working on some sort of adapter, which is actually pretty easy to do... move the pins to the correct location with a resistor between to limit the current to 5V instead of 12V, and voi-la, it'd work, at least, that's how I understand it... I'm about to look up the details and try something like this for myself..... I really need my phone to charge in the car..
Don't panic! Every car even Mercedez Benz need the 3G adapter for their 2G cable. Check on ebay the Scosche Ipod/Iphone adapter on ebay. Mine cost $25.00. It'll charge any 3G[s] iphone.

Technology changes... these things will happen and its inevitable ok.
An adapter does precisely that... adapts you to change.