Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scratched plastic interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scratched plastic interior

I have owned my XD for a year now. Was checking my interior the other day and noticed some severe scratches on the plastic column where the seat belt is hanging. This damage appears on both driver and passenger sides. I guess due to the narrow size of the car, every time I take off my seat belt - the buckle hits the side plastic - causing gradual chipping over time. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I cover the plastic with masking tape?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I've noticed this too but haven't don't anything to protect that spot. I was thinking of using a screen protector on the pillar where the scratches are.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it full on chipping/deep scratching? or is it just white marks? i noticed our dash board/door panels/etc get random white marks from the slightest touch..luckily it comes off when you wash it thoguh!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member

it is chipping of the plastic. the kind that can't be wiped off (like the always present white marks). i'm guessing all entry level car interiors are like this. it's just more noticeable since it's black. i prefer to plop down in my car and drive and not worry about marking the doors, dash, and everything else each time
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im with you...i love my xD but the ease with which it gets scuffed and scratched inside is quite frustrating...on top of the fact that dust seems to be ever present and our dash seems to LOVE collecting it...

how deep are your scratches/chips? could it be sanded down a little and made even again?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member

well, i don't think dark plastic and sandpaper mix. maybe i'll just find something to stick over it before it gets worse...
Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Our xD is only a couple of months old and noticed that we too have the scuff marks. Thanks 123 for bringing that to my attention . One thing that I may try is using Mr. Clean magic eraser (the plain not lemon). I've tried this on my IS on the scuff plate and it works pretty well. One word of caution tho, it is an abrasive cleaner, and can scratch the plastic more, anyone trying may want to try it on a hidden plastic peice first maybe on the lower part of the column. And don't rub so hard. Slow and easy, patience grasshopper patience.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd try wet sanding the area first to see if that would fix the irregularity. Thats what I'm going to do, then place the screen protector over that spot.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dust

Originally Posted by TRDxD
im with you...i love my xD but the ease with which it gets scuffed and scratched inside is quite frustrating...on top of the fact that dust seems to be ever present and our dash seems to LOVE collecting it...

how deep are your scratches/chips? could it be sanded down a little and made even again?
Thats just a So.Cal thing. My dash has never been cleaned since I bought it new in Sept.'08-no dust.She can sit outside for nearly 3 weeks and still be clean enough for a car show (minor touch up)too. She does get the tell tale skin flake patches on her like everyones does.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ must be nice... My dash seems to do a better job at collecting dust than a swiffer...