Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

2008-2009 xD recall - brake system moisture

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I made a call to Scion customer experience and was told that they are doing this in stages, first the 19 states that are mentioned and then they will send out notices to the other 31 states, so it will eventually get to everyone. Notices for the first wave go out the first week of Sept. Hope this answers some questions as to why your state wasn't included in the initial recall.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
I wonder if the VSC equipped cars will be excluded from the recall since they do not have a vaccum operated brake booster. I assume the air intake they are referring to has something to do with the brake booster.

I guess they assume that the owners in the states not included won't drive to a cold climate. Doesn't make much sense imo.

Let's stop the rumors before it get's out of hand. VSC equipped xD's still have a vacuum booster. Only the brake assist feature is hydraulic on VSC equipped xD's and is contained inside of the ABS/VSC modulator. Non-VSC equipped xD's have a mechanical brake assist feature built inside the actual brake booster. Although both VSC and Non-VSC equipped vehicles have different brake booster designs, both are vacuum operated. The recall is for where the hose connects on the engine to the brake booster and will affect all xD's, VSC or Non-VSC.

Last edited by SLODEANIS; 08-28-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Cool

Awesome. I should just be getting my car back from the shop in time to take it to the dealership. (Somebody ran a two-way stop and slammed into my passengers side nearly a month ago...) >_<;;
Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if this might be related to what I've experienced with my back drums actually sticking together then popping later on. Either way I have both instances documented at my dealership so they can't b|tch about it, if they try.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what happens to the air when it goes into the catchcan? you know? will we need BOV's...lol

honestly, I noticed no braking problems during the winter and a half I've put the car thru. I'm more worried about the corrosion on the engine and the strangly torn rubber boot over the reverse linkage than braking issues. maybe the problem was from ice or snow or water on the road. that usually increases braking distance.....seriously tho....
Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
I wonder if this might be related to what I've experienced with my back drums actually sticking together then popping later on. Either way I have both instances documented at my dealership so they can't b|tch about it, if they try.
You may want to suggest to your stealership that they bleed the brakes once they correct the brake TSB.

I also wanted to point out legally Toyota cant serve a TSB for only select states. If you have a xD and want to have the problem addressed, contact your local Scion/Toyota dealership and ask for the replacement part. This too will be easier once an actual TSB # is listed.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robbiej
I made a call to Scion customer experience and was told that they are doing this in stages, first the 19 states that are mentioned and then they will send out notices to the other 31 states, so it will eventually get to everyone. Notices for the first wave go out the first week of Sept. Hope this answers some questions as to why your state wasn't included in the initial recall.
Thanks. It would have been nice for them to include that in their press release. Left a lot of us "cold-staters" who weren't on the list hangin.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in Utah and I’m really surprised that Utah was not one of the states with the recall.
I know Utah is not the only state left out in the cold on this one.
As for as them recalling “us” other states later, is this going to be in the winter month, when this is a problem? WTH!?
Jan and Feb are not to far off.

There should be some incentive for the inconvenience.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SLODEANIS
Let's stop the rumors before it get's out of hand. VSC equipped xD's still have a vacuum booster. Only the brake assist feature is hydraulic on VSC equipped xD's and is contained inside of the ABS/VSC modulator. Non-VSC equipped xD's have a mechanical brake assist feature built inside the actual brake booster. Although both VSC and Non-VSC equipped vehicles have different brake booster designs, both are vacuum operated. The recall is for where the hose connects on the engine to the brake booster and will affect all xD's, VSC or Non-VSC.
You beat me to it. I'd just like to point out to the folks who seem to be mistaking Brake Assist with power brakes: Pretty much all cars have power brakes. Brake assist is a relatively new safety feature that applies full brakes when it "thinks" you are in an emergency situation. Data has shown that most drivers do not press hard enough on the brake pedal in an emergency stop. This causes collisions when one may have been avoided. Brake Assist looks at the speed and force that you apply to the brake pedal, and if it decides that you are trying to perform an emergency braking maneuver, it applies the brakes fully for you, until you release the pedal. Most of the time, Brake Assist does absolutely nothing... just like airbags and VSC... it just monitors the situation and applies itself in the rare instances that it is needed.

Brake boosters use vacuum (usually engine-provided) to boost the braking force that your foot is applying to the pedal. This is very old technology that pretty much every car uses. The only car I've owned that didn't have power brakes was a 1979 Bertone X1/9.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh it is to be expected with such a new model.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by robbiej

That's good. Though I live in California I go skiing from time to time and I wouldn't want my car to not be able to break before I fall off a cliff.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
I also wanted to point out legally Toyota cant serve a TSB for only select states.
Generally, most campaigns and service bulletins are spread across the nation. There are a few exceptions, however.

I worked for Lexus, and there several service campaigns and TSIBs that were only applicable for certain states (although it was generally for legal problems that conflicted with state, rather than federal, law). Usually, these were things like owner's manual modifications and other warnings.

If you scream enough, my guess is that Toyota Motor Corporation will replace a safety component if you're in within warranty. But if you're not having the problem.

Last edited by Tracompa3; 08-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tracompa3
Generally, most campaigns and service bulletins are spread across the nation. There are a few exceptions, however.

I worked for Lexus, and there several service campaigns and TSIBs that were only applicable for certain states (although it was generally for legal problems that conflicted with state, rather than federal, law). Usually, these were things like owner's manual modifications and other warnings.
which was exactly my point. If a recall is mechanical the maker has to extend to all cars made, not just certain regions. If you bought a recalled car in sunny FL and moved to Maine Toyota would have to fix the problem. Otherwise with todays lawyers Toyota could be held liable for not extending the TSB to EVERYONE.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
your premature brake wear has nothing to do with the recall. Dont stir a bees nest that has just been anounced with little more info to go on from Toyota.

I would suggest you stop waiting till the last minute to brake.

ok 1st, i don't wait til last second to brake.

2nd, the car is used as a firefighter response vehicle. granted braking is a little harder during those times, it's not all the time driving conditions. i go to maybe 3-4 calls PER WEEK. i drive the car many more times that that per week. so don't tell me what i do and don't do. you're not me, you don't see how i drive. but i've NEVER had brakes go in 6200 miles. EVER. and i used to run a lot more fire calls on other cars. NEVER have brakes gone that fast.

so that tells me one thing. our OEM brakes suck.

and whoever mentioned anything about bees?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JJ, is it just a squeak, or have you verified that the pads are worn out? I'm just wondering if the squeak is coming from something else. I had a squeaky Jetta that I was working on, and it turned out to be a little bend in the metal backing of one of the pads that was rubbing the rotor.

If your brake pads did wear through in 6,200 miles, I suspect a faulty caliper. I can't see how you could burn through that much material in such a short time otherwise.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
JJ, is it just a squeak, or have you verified that the pads are worn out? I'm just wondering if the squeak is coming from something else. I had a squeaky Jetta that I was working on, and it turned out to be a little bend in the metal backing of one of the pads that was rubbing the rotor.

If your brake pads did wear through in 6,200 miles, I suspect a faulty caliper. I can't see how you could burn through that much material in such a short time otherwise.

it's a squeak when gently applying the brakes to come to an easy stop. if i push them harder, it doesn't squeal, nor does it squeal when driving (so i know it's not the warning clips). i haven't had any time to check or get it checked. i start a new job on tuesday, and i've been so busy the past two months....
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Rin

Default squeaky brakes

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
it's a squeak when gently applying the brakes to come to an easy stop. if i push them harder, it doesn't squeal, nor does it squeal when driving (so i know it's not the warning clips). i haven't had any time to check or get it checked. i start a new job on tuesday, and i've been so busy the past two months....
Just wondering, have you had a chance to check out those squeaky brakes? Because I've had the same problem with my 2008 xD. There's a high pitched sound when I ease to a stop. But if I brake hard, it doesn't squeal. I thought I was imagining it at first but sounds like you have the exact same problem as me!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Rin
Just wondering, have you had a chance to check out those squeaky brakes? Because I've had the same problem with my 2008 xD. There's a high pitched sound when I ease to a stop. But if I brake hard, it doesn't squeal. I thought I was imagining it at first but sounds like you have the exact same problem as me!

I have this issue as well, but only started after I swapped to TRD pads...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just asked something similar here
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...17#post3307717
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rin

well, just passed inspection tonight. and they said nothing about the brakes. so i guess they're ok.

Quick Reply: 2008-2009 xD recall - brake system moisture