Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Air filter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i though you had to re-oil the filter let dry and put back?? am i wrong?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wr332
i though you had to re-oil the filter let dry and put back?? am i wrong?
Yep, you have to reoil a K&N and if over oiled it can damage the engine electronics.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
Yes, you buy the filter, take out the white toyota (probably black by the time you get to it) air filter piece of cotton, and put this baby in in it's place. It's washable down the road, and has a "limited lifetime warranty".

Basically, they suggest 50,000 miles to wash it, let dry, then put it back in.

air filter piece of cotton LMAO i guess you were choosing your words nicely. its a POS. i think the air filters for my A/C in my house are better quality then the stock "air filter piece of cotton " LOL
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And instead of spending the 4x wad of cash for a CAI. open up your filter box take out your "filter" grab your drill and a one inch hole saw and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. I haven't actually looked at the D's box and what not to see if you can do this but its what i've done in past cars and what we did in the friends car. When your done put your K&N air filter in and BAM your done and have a bada$$ intake
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
Yep, you have to reoil a K&N and if over oiled it can damage the engine electronics.

You sure? It doesn't say anything of this sort on the box or instructions on care....

this is the one I got...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1
Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You sure? It doesn't say anything of this sort on the box or instructions on care....

this is the one I got...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1
Yes, the recharge kit contains a cleaner and the oil. Once you use the cleaner the filter it will have a white/gray appearance to it. The oil itself is what gives the filter that rust color. Apply the oil in nice even coats and give the filter a little time (hour or two) to dry before placing back into the air box.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I see that now. I'll have to get a cleaning kit for when I do eventually have to clean it.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

miro image is awesome... ordered my k&n saturday and got it on monday. installed that baby quickly... took out the black cotton wanna be filterLOL
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drkness
miro image is awesome... ordered my k&n saturday and got it on monday. installed that baby quickly... took out the black cotton wanna be filterLOL

you'll feel a slight increase in HP.... noticeable, but not like crazy increase.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the quite noticable improvement in my gas milage.... (i drive 600-700 miles a week) a solid 4-5 mpg increase. and yes the hp is noticable when i just floor it from basically a standstill
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the quite noticable improvement in my gas milage.... (i drive 600-700 miles a week) a solid 4-5 mpg increase. and yes the hp is noticable when i just floor it from basically a standstill

Not bad, huh?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a lead foot, its not bad at all
Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If all you needed to do was replace your air filter to get a 3 or 4 mpg improvement then Toyota and every other mfg would have done it themselves. It is wishful thinking and a waste of money. Hope nobody buys into this. K&N filters have a place in some very specific applications, this isn't one of them.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andrewjc
That increase in MPG seems high but with price of gas these days I’ll take any gain I can get. I have not read this entire article but it raises some interesting questions.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html
I'm not sure what to believe.
ahh, statistics .. you know what they say about 'em.

The article states the obvious, which I like, more flow comes from less restriction. Manufacturers use paper filters because they're cheap, effective, and need to be repurchased often.

I've used K&N on at least 4 vehicles with no issues. I do oil changes @ 6-8k. Engine wear was normal OR BETTER, on the 2 motors I opened up.

I paid $40 for my tC K&N air filter from a local auto parts chain, and that included the cleaning kit, too. (the kits run about $15 last time I checked) IMO, the thing pays for itself = 3 paper filters.

Changing at 10k is a bit excessive IMO, I do mine at 30k. Performance is negligible, and you can reallistically expect 2-3 mpg. The point is you drop it in like a regular filter, and not have to worry about it for some time.

I'm curious how the dryflow filters perform.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I decided to get the K&N for $28.43 it was too cheap to pass up. I’m not expecting miracles but if I get an extra 2-3 MPG I’ll be happy.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
If all you needed to do was replace your air filter to get a 3 or 4 mpg improvement then Toyota and every other mfg would have done it themselves. It is wishful thinking and a waste of money. Hope nobody buys into this. K&N filters have a place in some very specific applications, this isn't one of them.

Obviously you've never heard of "cost control" in business? Cheaper materials, no matter the quality, will be used.

I''m standing by my word. Just filled up again and averaged around just under 34 MPG. When I was getting 27 before... I'll take it.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obviously you've never heard of "cost control" in business? Cheaper materials, no matter the quality, will be used.

I''m standing by my word. Just filled up again and averaged around just under 34 MPG. When I was getting 27 before... I'll take it.
yeah I'm sure Toyota opted to save $25 when they manufactured the car since the only drawback was that they had to advertise that the car got 3 or 4 mpg less..............are you serious? Toyota spends millions in engineering to squeeze the best mileage out of a car and you think you have stumbled upon a $25 miracle filter?
If your car is getting better mpg now than with the paper filter then it would have improved with a new paper filter. Mine has always done better than 34 with a paper filter.
K&N filters have always rated very poor in airflow and filtration even when you do maintain them properly.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That probably has something to do with the fact your stock air filter was clogged.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no it really wasn't clogged. and i stay at 38-40mpg.

(unless it was like this weekend flooring it, cutting really sharp corners..blowing through the stop sign doing this and realizing it was a cop that just saw you (had 4 other ppl in the car enjoying the ride) I really pi$$ed him off =D
Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no it really wasn't clogged. and i stay at 38-40mpg.

(unless it was like this weekend flooring it, cutting really sharp corners..blowing through the stop sign doing this and realizing it was a cop that just saw you (had 4 other ppl in the car enjoying the ride) I really pi$$ed him off =D
You had five people in an xD, with that load it couldn't have been that much fun. I'm sure the cop was ____ed I would be too seeing someone drive like that.

Quick Reply: Air filter...