Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Black out lights for xD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 AM

Default Black out lights for xD?

Does anyone know where i can get black out lights for my 09 xD? I dont want to do the spray though cuz im afraid of not having an even coat. I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!!!

xD_Life
Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They don't make black out lights, you have to spray them. If you practice a little bit its not hard to get an even coat, just make sure that you CLEAN you're lights first and don't spray too close or it'll drip.

BTW, only use VHT Niteshades unless you plan to have a paint shop do it for you.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And don't forget man, you live in California. I believe having blacked-out tails is illegal there.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info.. Black Tail lights out here though arent prohibited as long as they are not too dark. Sucks though that seems to be the only way. But I heard from a friend of mine that tinting the lights also work. Is that true?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xD_Life
Thanks for the info.. Black Tail lights out here though arent prohibited as long as they are not too dark. Sucks though that seems to be the only way. But I heard from a friend of mine that tinting the lights also work. Is that true?

Not really, the tint will scratch on the outside of the car, which is the reason why tint is normally applied to the inside of windows...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See if you can just find some lenses say off of a old truck or something and use that to practice on. If you still do not feel comfortable doing it yourself then pay a shop.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM

I was thinking that an might go to the local pick n pull. I just need to know what kind of tint to use cuz i know that certain tint wont stick. if anyone knows what kind please let me know thanks everyone.

xD_life
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_Life
I was thinking that an might go to the local pick n pull. I just need to know what kind of tint to use cuz i know that certain tint wont stick. if anyone knows what kind please let me know thanks everyone.

xD_life

VHT Nite Shade is what I would recommend. Can be found at most parts houses.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bluebatmobile does some overlays for the xD Tails.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...ent=xdts1b.jpg
Even though the picture is readout, they are available in smoked color.

Also,
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...xD%20Overlays/

some other overlays to check out.

just food for though.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey nice silver car on BlueBat's album!

I would suggest finding vinyl to use on the headlights simply because they're not permanent and if you DO get a ticket because of it, you can remove them quickly and easily. I've been told places like Joanne's has vinyl. If anything else, get a sheet of window tint that's not terribly dark and try that.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 for VHT Nite Shade. Just spray on LIGHT coats from a good distance. It's better to have to put on more coats because you're spraying too light than to mess up and have streaks/runs from spraying too heavy
Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uskrewed
+1 for VHT Nite Shade. Just spray on LIGHT coats from a good distance. It's better to have to put on more coats because you're spraying too light than to mess up and have streaks/runs from spraying too heavy

i did three coats on my tail lights.... here's the before and afters....

that's three (3) coats of night shade. just do it in nice even strokes, and about 6-8 inches from the light.

instructions, take light off, tape off parts not wanting to be shaded (for me was my back up and turn signal lights) and in sunlight, place on a surface you don't mind ruining (i.e. grass). just spray evenly and gently move it back and forth in rows. let dry for about 30 minutes between coats. (sunlight and heat speed it up to about 20 minutes). do the necessary coats you feel, peel off tape, replace light, enjoy!!!!

like i said, this is a 3 coat change. i should've done 4. and might still. it's not as bright against the black body, and the tail lights are still easy to see day and night.

it definitely looks better.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 AM

NICEEEE... I like the shade it gave it. and i was planing on doing the same style too. I Guess ill try doing that when i get the chance. Hopefully soon..
Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as sanding goes, don't bother. Unless your car is a show car no one is going to look closely enough at your lights to notice they aren't 100% perfect. another +1 for not blacking out reverse lights. People are dumb and they need to see bright white light to know you're backing up. As for the turn signals, that's up to you. IMO a flashing light is enough to let someone know you're signalling.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uskrewed
As far as sanding goes, don't bother. Unless your car is a show car no one is going to look closely enough at your lights to notice they aren't 100% perfect. another +1 for not blacking out reverse lights. People are dumb and they need to see bright white light to know you're backing up. As for the turn signals, that's up to you. IMO a flashing light is enough to let someone know you're signalling.

well, i replaced the stock back up bulbs with 15 LED bright white ones. they do light up brighter at night. but during day it's a LITTLE harder to see them. i'll take a pic when i get a chance of day night. i don't have any of the old lights. sorry.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 AM

So I checked JoAnnes for the vinyls and they only had awkward shapes and sizes none of which i could trim down and make it work. Looks like imma keep looking. but the VT, will be my last resort Due to it being permanent.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll try to get pics of mine tomorrow and get them up. They are completely black, but they don't look too bad and they are still bright enough to see during the day.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JJ, how far is Irwin from Wilkes Barre? Wanna come over and do my tail lights? Your's look good!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
JJ, how far is Irwin from Wilkes Barre? Wanna come over and do my tail lights? Your's look good!

not that far... only one thing in between them... pennsylvania.

i'm exit 67 on the turnpike. lol. do the math
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vynil ftw!

went with reversed vyniled

eyelids

Quick Reply: Black out lights for xD?