2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Deal breakdown..should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Deal breakdown..should I do it?

Ok so even with the radio issue still in question im going to show everyone the numbers on the agreement and see what everyone thinks.

Base xD 5spd - $14900
Handling/shipping fee - $775
Dealer fee/tags - $440
"Optional" radio - $469
Military Discount - $1000
Down Payment - $500
Total - $15084

Im trading in my jeep liberty also and im a little upside down on it. Its not terrible so im guna go ahead and trade it.

Jeep - How much I owe - $7500
Jeep Trade given - $5700
Difference - $1800

Total Financed after trade - $16884

If I can get rid of the radio that will be another $469 off the price.
Im military so I also do not have to pay taxes on the car.
I dont have fantastic credit so intrest is going to be between 8.9-9.9%
This would put my payment between $310-$320/month for 72 months.
I dont mind financing for a long time because I will pay extra each month to get it paid off faster anyways.
It seems like a good deal to me but, im no financial advisor so I figured Id see what you guys think...
Comments welcome...good or bad
Thanks everyone

Last edited by torchedbox; 04-22-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

for that money you can get a better deck. Ditch the optional radio.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, EVERY scion comes standard with the pioneer radio, so they shouldn't be charging you extra if you don't want the alpine "optional" deck. Just go to www.scion.com and look at the options available there!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've worked at a stealer-ship before and I'll tell you straight up "dealer handling" is a load of crap! I used the old "Get rid of the handling charge or I'll go somewhere that will." Trick, it tends to work. Give it a shot there's a chance they'll drop it.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by STlTCHES
I've worked at a stealer-ship before and I'll tell you straight up "dealer handling" is a load of crap! I used the old "Get rid of the handling charge or I'll go somewhere that will." Trick, it tends to work. Give it a shot there's a chance they'll drop it.
What about the dosumentation fee? Is that something that has to be in there? Because thats another $399 from the price if i can make it go away.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

399 doc fee?!?!?!? God I would go ballistic. The average doc fee is usually $200 which I paid, but some hard ball that out. What ever you do, don't feel like you have to buy from them. I bought mine used for 1 year old $13500 with 6000 miles. A loan for a new car can include up to 3 years old and less than 30k miles. If you absolutely want brand new tell them you're talking to other dealers and do so. Find a big city near by that will have more than one dealership, talk to them, and I bet they will be more flexible. Meanwhile give the local dealership your number and tell them if they want to make a sell for what you want then call you. Believe me dealers are jerks for a living. It's a finely honed craft.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, some of those numbers seem like a rip.

and good luck finding a dealer that's willing to give more than 60 months for financing.

at least, all the ones i've ever dealt with never offered anything over 60 (63 sometimes with the same interest rate).

good luck buddy, and look at my other post before you do anything.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
399 doc fee?!?!?!? God I would go ballistic. The average doc fee is usually $200 which I paid, but some hard ball that out. What ever you do, don't feel like you have to buy from them. I bought mine used for 1 year old $13500 with 6000 miles. A loan for a new car can include up to 3 years old and less than 30k miles. If you absolutely want brand new tell them you're talking to other dealers and do so. Find a big city near by that will have more than one dealership, talk to them, and I bet they will be more flexible. Meanwhile give the local dealership your number and tell them if they want to make a sell for what you want then call you. Believe me dealers are jerks for a living. It's a finely honed craft.

Was $13500 after taxes, tags and all that crap?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've gotten 72 months on two loans.. it's not that hard honestly.

i paid a 199 doc / dealer fee. they were willing to hunt for my five speed though.. and actually had to work to get me what I wanted. Some dealers don't charge any dealer fees at all..

and the beauty of buying brand new scion is pure price.. that enables you to really shop around for the best dealer that you think it right.

As far as your radio... just get stock and go aftermarket. Granted most of the reason I bought my RS was because it already had a decent nav unit in it... and for the cost of that nave new... i made up for in RS package on top of it.. so i was very happy overall
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oh and I paid 17,9-- (can't remember the last two numbers) out the door with tax, tag, dealer fee, spoiler, floor mats (I like the factory floor mats and am willing to pay for them)

granted my car was new.. but still (oh and no financing bs attached to that)
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I called the dealer and asked them a few more questions about the price. First thing I asked is why I am paying $14900 plus a $775 handling fee when the pure price for an xD is $15570 msrp which includes the handling fee charged to dealers. That is a $105 difference. Then I also wanted to know why their Doc fee is so expensive. I told them if they can make the doc fee $200 instead of $400 id be happy.

New Numbers
$15570 - msrp + handling fee
$469 - Alpine Radio
$200 - Doc fee if I can get them to change it
$16239 - Total price of car and options

Jeep Numbers
$7500 - Price I owe on car
$5700 - Trade Value they are giving me
$1800 - Amount added to total price of car

$18039 - Total Including trade
$1000 - Military Discount through Southeast Toyota
$500 - Downpayment

$16539 - Total I feel I should be financing after everything is done.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried putting the Jeep on eBay? The dealership offered me $4,000 for my VW Golf, but I sold it on eBay for $7,400.

What happened to Pure Pricing? Do a "build your xD" on the Scion.com website. Take that to the dealership. That's what you should pay... not including tags, of course. Don't let them push you around. The radio is optional. The big thing about Scion is that you pick and choose every option you want. You are never forced to get something you don't want. There are no "packages" other than Release Series cars, and there should be no options pre-installed.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going to be in the minority but if you can afford it - sometimes its not worth haggling for that last few hundred. In the younger days I would have..

I agree with mcbrew. I have sold a car thru ebay - they do take a nice chunk but it reaches a big audience. I would try craigslist first as its free. However , selling a car where the bank still owns it may be a little hassle as the person buying it won't get the title right then and there.

I am no a financial adviser by a long shot but just saying for less hassle down the road it may be easier to trade it in and be done with it.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Have you tried putting the Jeep on eBay? The dealership offered me $4,000 for my VW Golf, but I sold it on eBay for $7,400.

What happened to Pure Pricing? Do a "build your xD" on the Scion.com website. Take that to the dealership. That's what you should pay... not including tags, of course. Don't let them push you around. The radio is optional. The big thing about Scion is that you pick and choose every option you want. You are never forced to get something you don't want. There are no "packages" other than Release Series cars, and there should be no options pre-installed.

actually the radio is not in the 2010's. that upgrade is the only one available for the 2010 xD and xB. at least, i asked 4 different salesmen in the one i just took my car to. they all said the same thing. No stock radio.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea and I also contacte scion today and they confirmed thae same thing. its a standard feature oin the '10 but it adds $469 to the price.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$449. Don't let them rip you. Even scion.com has the $449

Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you lived near me I would just give my old base factory radio. Then you could tell them to yank the one that's in there!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Cool radio ripoff

On the scion website the base Pioneer radio is still offered. If the don't want to give it to you then tell them to order you one. That is one of their gimmicks to make you buy the more expensive. More options bigger commission. Mine salesman kept trying to forget things on me and I wouldn't let him get away with it.
It only takes about 2 weeks to order one. I wanted a blue one when they first came out and could only find 1 in my state. And I almost ordered it. Just walk out usually works when I do it and I have done it 3 times.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Walked out of the deal this morning...they actually let me go. oh well, ill sell me jeep and go back in a few months and get a 2011 xD after the jeep is out of the picture..
Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the best thing. Besides, wait afew more months and see what Scion will be doing for the next release series.

Quick Reply: Deal breakdown..should I do it?