Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member

Default Don't you love legal double-speak

I was surfing early this morning when I came across a Scion Ad. The heading was

MODIFICATION NATION
The vehicles built to be rebuilt
The Scion xB, tC and xD

followed with pictures of highly modded cars.

...then at the bottom was a tiny caption you had to roll over to reveal the legalese:

Show vehicles only; not street-legal; modified with non-Genuine Scion parts which may void the warranty and adversely impact performance/safety

So, which one is it? 'Gotta love them lawyers!'
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, it's a CYA problem. Most of them seen on the ads ARE legal... except for maybe in CA. The voiding the warranty part is funny though.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some people treat their warranty like a line drawn in the sand that is not to be crossed. Toyota/Scion is not being tricky about anything here. There are things you can do to your car that they will cover, should anything break, and there are things you can do to your car that they will not cover.

For instance, Toyota/Scion is not going to cover manufacturer defects on aftermarket rims. They aren't going to repaint your car if you apply vinyl decals to it. What I'm trying to say is that not all modifications are so serious that they're worried about engine damage, occupant safety, or some other expensive damage... they're essentially saying it is okay to dress up your car, but to be aware that they can't be held responsible for those parts.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ well said...
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yep well said
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Some people treat their warranty like a line drawn in the sand that is not to be crossed. Toyota/Scion is not being tricky about anything here. There are things you can do to your car that they will cover, should anything break, and there are things you can do to your car that they will not cover.

For instance, Toyota/Scion is not going to cover manufacturer defects on aftermarket rims. They aren't going to repaint your car if you apply vinyl decals to it. What I'm trying to say is that not all modifications are so serious that they're worried about engine damage, occupant safety, or some other expensive damage... they're essentially saying it is okay to dress up your car, but to be aware that they can't be held responsible for those parts.
YYEESSS! Thank you!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're welcome!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
I tend to agree here, now that you mention it. I just paid $24 for Toyota Coolant "just to be on the safe side."

I would like to add this: it's not like a fair share of dealers don't directly contribute to this mindset. The cool dealerships are on ScionLife, but I have been told directly by dealerships that not getting my oil changed in the dealer service department would void my warranty. Not only incorrect, illegal...but this is what folks are up against.

I can see why they'd want to propogate this falsehoods...they make money on it every time. It's nice that there's still honest folks who will say "no, if you put rims on and your water pump goes out, your warranty should still take care of it." So thanks.

Although NOW, I WANT A TRAILER HITCH. THANKS A LOT, YOU JERK.

...just for bikes, of course.