Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

E- brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default E- brake problem

Is anyone else having their E-brakes lock up on them in the frigid northeast weather ? I have a manual xd and my left rear brake did not release when I disengaged it so I was driving around with them on until I figured it out this morning. Called the dealer to tell them about my situation and the service guy tells me that it might not be cover by the warranty if it is ice related. I got a little tick off about his comment and that a one old car would have this problem, so I put the car on the jack and sure enough the brakes were binding. was able to get it to finally release by wiggling the e-brake cable under the car. Made an appointment to see the dealer next week but for now I'm going to just leave my car in gear when I park because it locks up every time I use the e-brake.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

Mine is working properly so far. i live in boston,ma where the temps this week have consistently been below 20 degrees (and single digits at night)
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's really odd, especially for a new car. have them check your fluid levels...make sure your trans fluid/brake fluid are all up. that could cause it to lock up if it's not up to fill, but that would be the dealers fault if theyre not full. regardless, they cant tell you warranty won't cover that..it's not YOUR fault the cold weather would cause it to lock up (if in fact that is the problem). talk to another guy next time, whoever told you that is just abusing power
Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even at -20 mine wasn't having this problem. But as TRD said, it's not your fault. Go back and make sure they take care of you properly. If they don't, report it to toyota
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed, speak to the service manager and if HE won't even help you, take your service else where, any toyota dealer should accept your warranty
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds like an issue I had with my car a few months ago actually. However, my left rear tire was completely locked up so there was no spinning of the wheel at all.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what ended up happening with that?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got it fixed. Still paying off how much they charged me too.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ew...how much was it? that sucks to make you pay for it...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't go to the dealer since last time the "techs" screwed with my K&N drop in filter in my airbox, which the shop told me and showed me. I only went to the dealer for the free oil changes, other than that I'll have to learn how to do the maintenance myself. The shop did a few other things on my car, so it was around $250. I have a lot of bills to pay off
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unfortunate :\ sry to hear that
Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My e-brake made a popping sound when I backed up one day last week when it was very cold but overall thats the only problem I have had. I am fortunate to have a garage to keep mine in at night. Thanks for the warning I will not engage mine when the temps drop that low again.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish i had a garage....or even a driveway T-T...:aigh: boo on street parking
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was IN the garage and the wheel still locked up on me. I hope it was just a fluke and not something that can happen on the 08s, maybe 09s.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had mine freeze up on me in the middle of the summer and i was like wtf and that was the next day after i washed my car
Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say drum brakes for the lose
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 AM

I'm not up on the specs for the E-brake on the XD, but hey, everythings relative. My neighbor in RI owns a 5-6 year old Volvo and recently had his E brake seize up. I think he ended up replacing the 4 pully cables + E brake system. Even buying parts online and doing some work himself he still spent over $450.
My family has owned a lot of Toyota products over the years.

1987 Corolla SR5
1998 Camary
2001 Camary
2008 Prius
2008 Scion Xd

The only E brake issue I've had was with the SR5. It locked up during winter, but I accept some of the blame for that, It wasn't our primary car at the time, so it sat garaged for extended periods wihtout being driven.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
I didn't go to the dealer since last time the "techs" screwed with my K&N drop in filter in my airbox, which the shop told me and showed me. I only went to the dealer for the free oil changes, other than that I'll have to learn how to do the maintenance myself. The shop did a few other things on my car, so it was around $250. I have a lot of bills to pay off
Just so you know. If you plan on doing any maintenance yourself make sure you keep receipts for all parts purchased for oil changes, air filters ect.. If anything goes wrong and you do your own maintenance you better have some kind of proof that you bought items to do it. Friends motor in his xB threw a rod and the piston. He wasnt doing anything stupid or wreckless just driving 65mph on the interstate. The dealership wanted to see proof that he bought oil and filters for oil changes since he did his own changes. Luckily he kept the receipts or he would have had to shell out for a new motor.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and that's why I don't leave the e-brake engaged. that's why I don't have a remote start on the car. my last car had e-brake issues all the time and I had locked rear wheels. brake design has nothing to do with it drums or discs. I converted the last car from drums to discs. both designs rusted and froze. it didn;t matter. by the time I got rid of the car, it had no e-brakes. I only use the e-brake on steep inclines and since I'm in Illinois, we don't have mountains, that problem is solved. too bad that happened tho. I'll keep an eye on my car too
Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but by NOT engaging your e-brake, and only utilizing it every now and then, you're increasing your risk for it to lock up...by keeping your e-brake unengaged you run the risk of the mechanism failing because it wasn't broken in properly, which would give you the same result. a frozen ebrake, when you decide to actually utilize it.

Quick Reply: E- brake problem