Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

E- brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always keep the receipts for my cars maintenance I've read horror stories from other owners about not keeping all their receipts and being screwed over at a dealership because they didn't have the prior work done at the dealership

It's a habit for me to use the e-brake all the time, no matter where I park.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds relaly repetitive when i re-read it but you get what i mean.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
It's a habit for me to use the e-brake all the time, no matter where I park.
as it should be with everyone
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... for some reason, it has become popular for people to call it an "emergency" brake... when in fact it is a "parking" brake. Just like calling your parking lights "driving" lights.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i call them city lights....hahaha
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
but by NOT engaging your e-brake, and only utilizing it every now and then, you're increasing your risk for it to lock up...by keeping your e-brake unengaged you run the risk of the mechanism failing because it wasn't broken in properly, which would give you the same result. a frozen ebrake, when you decide to actually utilize it.
This times a million. Some guy with an 01 caddy brought it in for a battery change. It was a slow day in the shop so I changed it and checked all his fluids and then went to the washroom to wash up before putting the seats back in (the battery in it was under the rear seat). Come back, put it back together and write up everything and go to drive it out and the rear wheels were locked up... wtf? For some reason the parking brake had been engaged, so I hit the release and went to move it again and the wheels were still locked up. Had the customer _____ing at me because he was in a rush and blah blah blah I ruined his car blah blah blah. Unfortunately the car was in a stall without a lift in it so I had to jack it up manually and slide under the rear so disengage the brake manually. As I'm pulling out the car I tell the guy what was wrong and he goes "oh, I must have stepped on it as I was looking for something in my car" ____ YOU! Well, of course I just said "Mistakes happen, at least now you know that your parking brake is in need of repair" guy thanked and tipped me and left. Did an hour of work for a battery change just because the guy couldn't wait 5 minutes to look for something in his car....

Long story short - use your parking/emergency brake on a regular basis just to make sure it doesn't break from lack of use.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

worrddd
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just updating on my original post. 1st trip to dealer they blamed it on icing issues, the clean it out, charged me $19 and worked for two days then locked up again. was able to get it to unlock and went back to dealer again. They weren't able to get to lock so I went in the shop to look at the mechanism with the mechanics, after some discussion I insisted that something needed to be done if nothing is wrong with the mechanics in the wheel then it must be the cable.They insisted that it couldn't be the cable because they have not ever seen it. so, after some more discussion, I left my care over night to see if will lock up. They called me the next morning and told me the brake didn't lock and was ready for pick up, the service guy also said he would refund my $19 and get covered under warranty. I drive over to pick up my car in the middle of a developing NE snow storm and was ready to leave, the brakes lock up again. Went in to the dealer got the service guy to come look at what I was talking about . So left my car there again They called me that afternoon to tell me that the mechanic was able to replicate the lock up several time in the shop and it was locking because of the e-brake cable as I suggested long story shorten, there are no e-brake cable in usa for xd and will take a week to order from japan.so, driving car with one working e-brake for now.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's rough.....hope they covered that under warranty as well? good to know you finally got to the bottom of the situation though!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a shortage of xD parts it seems. I had ordered replacement wiper arms abd one was in Cali and the other in Boston. those were the only ones