Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

FYI on xD trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't want sound pushy, but come on with the inside pics. My imagination has run from mild to wild, like it looks small on the outside but Taj Mahal on the in side. Man, one of those would have been nice when me and my friends camped out in the Florida Keys.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrhanky
That is the stupidest thing i have ever seen anybody do with a scion. Too bad cops arent any smarter or they would keep that death trap off the road. Dont you have any regard for the safety of other people on the road that arent so stupid?
When Toyota built the xD, they rated it for over 1,600 pounds towing. My trailer weighs 1,200 pounds, plus gear. What's wrong with that? I'm guessing you don't know much about towing and the capabilities of small cars. This is a VERY normal thing to do in many countries. People don't do it here because gas is cheap enough that people can afford to drive big trucks. There is nothing unsafe about towing within the capabilities of your car or truck.

By the way, this camper was designed by engineers to be towed behind an early 70s VW beetle.

I bet is scares the heck out of you that a VW Golf is rated to tow 3,300 pounds!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrhanky
That is the stupidest thing i have ever seen anybody do with a scion. Too bad cops arent any smarter or they would keep that death trap off the road. Dont you have any regard for the safety of other people on the road that arent so stupid?

are you serious?

go do some research, then come back.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
I don't want sound pushy, but come on with the inside pics. My imagination has run from mild to wild, like it looks small on the outside but Taj Mahal on the in side. Man, one of those would have been nice when me and my friends camped out in the Florida Keys.
Go back to "mild". I am still working on the interior... it is a little dated right now. Also, I don't have a camera with a good wide angle lens, so it is hard to get good pics in such a small space. Once I get it cleaned up (tomorrow), I will take a few pics and post them.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
are you serious?

go do some research, then come back.
After seeing a number of large pickups etc. towing small to moderately sized loads and watching them sway as they are going down the highway... I would love to see how the xD does when towing the SCAMP!

I don't wanna die!!! lol

Old 10-23-2010, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Postmaster_G
After seeing a number of large pickups etc. towing small to moderately sized loads and watching them sway as they are going down the highway... I would love to see how the xD does when towing the SCAMP!

I don't wanna die!!! lol

Trailer sway is mainly due to two factors: trailer to tongue weight ratio and speed. If a trailer is swaying, they are either driving too fast or the tongue weight is too light for the weight of the trailer... Or likely both. There are actually charts that predict when sway will occur based on the trailer weight and tongue weight. Sway control systems are just a bandaid for poor trailer setup or idiotic driving.

The standard for tongue weight in the US is 10% of the weight of the trailer. The standard in most other countries is 5% of the trailer weight. Mostly because Americans tend to drive faster and are less competent on the road.

I have been towing various trailers with various cars and trucks since I was 16 and have NEVER experienced sway. There should be a class and license requirement for towing in the US... Unfortunately, there is not. Many trailer companies make up for it by making the tongue weight WAY too heavy. This is also a bandaid for poor driving skills, and makes it impossible to tow certain trailers with smaller vehicles.

If you see a trailer swaying, I would suggest calling the police. A swaying trailer is an accident, and possible ion juries or deaths waiting to happen.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_30lC6JlSG8
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome pics mcbrew! It looks like every nook and cranny has a purpose. I expected the table to fold to a bed, but the couch turns into bunk beds. Holy crap that's killer. I could see myself getting one and watching tv on the couch with 13" screen. I am jealous sir. Congrats
Also like the addition of the bottle opener at the end!

Last edited by Nateson; 10-26-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Previous owner sure did keep it in good shape for its age. That is one nice looking camper!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, i didnt expect it to be that spacious. very nice lol
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM

This is a real funny thread. I've lived in Europe my entire life (currently in Germany) and nobody here would be dumb enough to tow anything with this car. Even if they were the police would never allow it. You NEVER see anybody doing this here even if the car is rated for it because it is stupid. Even the Gypsies wouldn't try and pull a stunt like this. HAHA
I hope nobody tries this, it is really irresponsible. If you can't afford a proper tow vehicle then don't tow.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eiffel
This is a real funny thread. I've lived in Europe my entire life (currently in Germany) and nobody here would be dumb enough to tow anything with this car. Even if they were the police would never allow it. You NEVER see anybody doing this here even if the car is rated for it because it is stupid. Even the Gypsies wouldn't try and pull a stunt like this. HAHA
I hope nobody tries this, it is really irresponsible. If you can't afford a proper tow vehicle then don't tow.
Troll much?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
Troll much?
Yeah... Anyone who has spent a few DAYS in Germany would have seen small cars towing trailers.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eiffel

this coming from a guy who joined this month, just to post here.

I spy with my little eye a join date of "Nov 2010"....

This is obviously a second (or third) screen name of someone who's been trying to bash this thread from the beginning.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

this coming from a guy who joined this month, just to post here.

I spy with my little eye a join date of "Nov 2010"....

This is obviously a second (or third) screen name of someone who's been trying to bash this thread from the beginning.
I hear what you are sayin' and that would seem lame... join to troll/bash.

But I feel that is less important that the fact that possible or not, towing with the xD seems a bit redic to some, and not to others.

Thanks to McBrew for the pics etc...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear what you are sayin' and that would seem lame... join to troll/bash.

You have no idea. I'm a member of MANY forums, and I know many who have done just such that thing, and also contradict themselves, and when found out, try to deny through both names as much as possible.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

You have no idea. I'm a member of MANY forums, and I know many who have done just such that thing, and also contradict themselves, and when found out, try to deny through both names as much as possible.
Well to correct you and I...
I certainly Do have an idea, having been a member of many forums myself, heh....
[this is entertaining http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) ]
[ this is plain silly http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Troll ]
And what I meant to say was not that it Would seem foolish, but that it Is foolish. So I was pretty much feeling like yall about it. I was in agreement with you, not about towing, but about the trollage.
trolls

Last edited by Postmaster_G; 11-09-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well to correct you and I...
I certainly Do have an idea, having been a member of many forums myself, heh....
[this is entertaining http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) ]
[ this is plain silly http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Troll ]
And what I meant to say was not that it Would seem foolish, but that it Is foolish. So I was pretty much feeling like yall about it. I was in agreement with you, not about towing, but about the trollage.
trolls

ah ok.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member

What about suspension??

Does this scion/scampon [lol] sag when she is hooked up?

You shud get custom grafix on that thing...

Last edited by Postmaster_G; 11-11-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice graphics!

The suspension only sags a tiny bit. Probably less than if two people were in the back seat. The pic above is with the TRD suspension. No switched over to a stock setup, so it sits a bit higher now. The tongue weight of the Scamp is only about 130 pounds.

Quick Reply: FYI on xD trailer hitches