Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

FYI on xD trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Nice graphics!

The suspension only sags a tiny bit. Probably less than if two people were in the back seat. The pic above is with the TRD suspension. No switched over to a stock setup, so it sits a bit higher now. The tongue weight of the Scamp is only about 130 pounds.
What do you think of the TRD suspension? edit: just read your post on the scrapped trd...

Did you have the springs and swaybar, and are you selling them?

That tounge weight seems very minimal...

Last edited by Postmaster_G; 11-13-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I still have the sway bar installed. Can't say enough how much I prefer the stock springs and shocks. So much more pleasant to drive.

The tongue weight on the trailer is -now- pretty low. It was too high when I first bought the trailer. The recommended tongue weight in the US is 10% of trailer weight, which is right about where I am. In Europe, they go with 5% tongue weight, mainly because they use small cars to tow... but they drive slower to compensate. In the US, people expect to be able to hitch up a trailer and drive 80+ MPH down the highway without sway. I am going to lower my tongue weight a little more once I get everything straightened out on the Scamp.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. My scion just towed all my wonderful stuff 3000 miles from San Francisco to Philadelphia. The info on this forum was helpful.
Attached Thumbnails FYI on xD trailer hitches-scion.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad we could help! Looks like you moved quite a bit of stuff on that little trailer!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just brought our Christmas tree home on my trailer. Too dark to get a pix of it, though. $65 for the smallest trees on the lot!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Towing to Alaska?

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I've got a 2008 xd, stock, A/T, and am moving to AK from Washington. Do you think a 4x8 Uhaul trailer on the back of my xd will work out okay for such a long haul? (about 3,000 miles). It's either that, or load up what I can on a roof rack and ditch the furniture. But I'd really like to bring the furniture if possible. Not much, just a couch, mattress, and bookshelf.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really need the furniture I would suggest renting a uhaul truck for the move and a tow dolly (or car carrier) to tow your scion.

That gets expensive - especially the gas - may be cheaper to buy furniture when you arrive.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bookgirl2005
Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I've got a 2008 xd, stock, A/T, and am moving to AK from Washington. Do you think a 4x8 Uhaul trailer on the back of my xd will work out okay for such a long haul? (about 3,000 miles). It's either that, or load up what I can on a roof rack and ditch the furniture. But I'd really like to bring the furniture if possible. Not much, just a couch, mattress, and bookshelf.
I've got more than 3,000 miles on my 4x8 trailer. No problem, unless you want to drive fast. I'd stick with 65 MPH or lower with a trailer in tow.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bookgirl2005
Absolutely not. The XD is not rated to tow anything for many reasons. There are some idiots that do it short distances and try to rationalize it here but even they aren't dumb enough to go 3000 miles with a 4x8 uhaul through Alaska / Canada / WA. Imagine how light your front end would be and how little traction it would get. The trailer empty would exceed the tongue weight limitations of your XD.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
Absolutely not. The XD is not rated to tow anything for many reasons. There are some idiots that do it short distances and try to rationalize it here but even they aren't dumb enough to go 3000 miles with a 4x8 uhaul through Alaska / Canada / WA. Imagine how light your front end would be and how little traction it would get. The trailer empty would exceed the tongue weight limitations of your XD.
It is ONLY not rated to tow anything in the US. Toyota tests the xD (Urban Cruiser) and rates it to tow approx. 1,600 pounds. It tows very well. I just took a camping trip with out 1,400 pound Scamp camper. Towed really well and got 24 MPG, even in the hills (Poconos, PA).

My camper only puts about 130 pounds on the hitch. If you think that's enough to make the front end too light, you better not carry any passengers in the rear seat!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Oh dear...

Didn't mean to start that battle again... after looking into it a bit more, I think I'm just going to have to ditch the furniture and pack up what I can. I'm definitely going to invest in a roof rack at least-- McBrew, I see your selling yours. Would you be willing to ship it to me? What's the weight limit for your system?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
It is ONLY not rated to tow anything in the US. Toyota tests the xD (Urban Cruiser) and rates it to tow approx. 1,600 pounds. It tows very well. I just took a camping trip with out 1,400 pound Scamp camper. Towed really well and got 24 MPG, even in the hills (Poconos, PA).

My camper only puts about 130 pounds on the hitch. If you think that's enough to make the front end too light, you better not carry any passengers in the rear seat!
Guess what, we are in the U.S.
My passengers don't sit on the back bumper.
The Urban Cruiser has better brakes, a lower geared tranny, etc. It isn't the same car. Please move to the UK so we don't have to hear this BS over and over. You will look less like an idiot when towing over there too and maybe you won't get sued when you kill somebody towing with something that is not tow rated.

Last edited by hobojon; 09-03-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue isn't that cars magically can tow more in the UK (or in all of Europe). The real deal is that in the EU, car companies MUST (by law) test and rate their cars for towing. In the US, companies are free to do what they please... and most of them choose to rate cars to tow ZERO pounds and would rather up-sell unsuspecting people on MUCH more profitable trucks and SUVs for light towing.

Some car companies, such as Saab, Volvo, and Subaru, actually apply their real tow ratings to cars sold in the US.

You know that the Honda Fit (called the Jazz in other countries) has a 2,200 pound tow rating? That's more than many small SUVs in this country.

Also, the Urban Cruiser actually has a SMALLER engine in Europe... funny that it can tow more over there.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, it's a government conspiracy. I'm sure the judge would agree with you..........
I'm glad you aren't going to troll this forum with this crap anymore since you don't even own an XD anymore. Or are you?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Government conspiracy? Seriously?

I suggested that car companies are trying to up-sell people to more expensive, more profitable cars (trucks, SUVs). That's not much of a conspiracy theory... more like retail 101.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 AM

I just looked at this thread....I have NO idea what has been said since 07! But if any one wants to know......I got my hitch from e-trailer and the cargo carrier...Any one needs pics let me know....I am totally satisfied with what i purchased. Works for me. Thinking about building a Motorcycle trailer to pull my SMALL bike! I have a auto tranny that i added an oil cooler (strongly recommend) I can give more info on that also. Please!!! Don't listen to Toyota!! Change your auto tranny fluid!!!
ASE certified tech here!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 AM

I am planning to tow a small Tear-Drop camp Trailer (Designed for a Harley) behind my xB. I have towed cars using a tow strap with the xB manual tranny and had no problem. I also towed a 35ft Trailer House 2000 miles using a '52 Plymouth with 99HP and had no problem. With the price of Gas I want to do this instead of towing my 21ft RV with my Ford F-250.

Last edited by cswalley; 10-19-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cswalley
I am planning to tow a small Tear-Drop camp Trailer (Designed for a Harley) behind my xB. I have towed cars using a tow strap with the xB manual tranny and had no problem. I also towed a 35ft Trailer House 2000 miles using a '52 Plymouth with 99HP and had no problem. With the price of Gas I want to do this instead of towing my 21ft RV with my Ford F-250.
Uhm, I'm all for towing, in the future I intend on getting an aluminum boat, but a 21' RV is ..... well ...something I want to see. Post a picture if you end up doing it, please.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Default 21 ft RV....?

I Tow the 21 ft RV (Travel Trailer) with the Ford F-250, not the Scion. The Tear Drop Trailer is just 11 ft long hitch to bumper and can be towed by any 4 cyl car. The small 4 ft wide x 8 ft long light wt shell is designed to be pulled by a Motorcycle or Trike.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, if anyone wants to buy an xD with a trailer hitch and wiring already installed, it's for sale at Annapolis Subaru!

Quick Reply: FYI on xD trailer hitches