Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

FYI on xD trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something else comes to mind about Toyota not rating the vehicle for towing. It probably costs a couple million $$$ per model of car to have the US gov't certify it, just not worth it.
Toyota does rate the xD for towing... just not in the US. The same car sold in the UK is rated to tow approximately 1,900 pounds.

If you have an auto, it is probably not a bad idea to add a tranny cooler. Most of the ones I have seen are about the same. I don't know too much about the different models, since every car I have towed with either had a factory tranny cooler or was a manual.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was dark by the time I got home, or else I would have posted a pic. I just delivered a kegerator to a customer and they wanted to know if I would take their old one away. They said it kept icing up inside. I brought it home in my trailer and got some thumbs-ups along the way! The only thing wrong with it was that the door wasn't adjusted properly and the high humidity outside was making too much ice form on the evaporator. I adjusted the door and it works great. This is a one year old stainless kegerator that retails for $2,499. Sweet!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Originally Posted by vbrents
Something else comes to mind about Toyota not rating the vehicle for towing. It probably costs a couple million $$$ per model of car to have the US gov't certify it, just not worth it.
Toyota does rate the xD for towing... just not in the US. The same car sold in the UK is rated to tow approximately 1,900 pounds.
Yeah, I was referring to in the US. I'm sure the US government does not yet certify European cars.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how you made the jump from claiming the Yaris is tow rated in Europe to stating the xD is rated for ~1900lbs. Misinformation like that can get people KILLED.

Originally Posted by schaumburgscion
The xD is NOT rated for towing.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just ran across Toyota's towing specs for the Yaris in Europe:

1.0L (68hp) gasoline engine: 750kg or 1,653 lbs
1.33L (99hp) gasoline engine: 900kg or 1,984 lbs
1.4L (89hp) diesel engine: 1,050kg or 2,315 lbs

I'd say it's safe to assume that the 2.8L (128hp) engine we have in the xD can tow a little more than the 1.33L.
Yeah, you won't have any trouble at all. The xD is rated to tow about 2,000 pounds (in Europe).
Don't get me wrong, I like what you're doing and the help you're giving on this subject, but until you provide some actual verifiable proof, your credibility factor is about zero and I highly recommend people think twice before towing 1900lbs in an xD. Your life may depend on it.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you won't have any trouble at all. The xD is rated to tow about 2,000 pounds (in Europe).
Here are the actual UK tow ratings for the Urban Cruiser:
Towing capacity (if trailer is equipped with electric brakes) (kg / lb) 800 / 1764
Towing capacity (trailer without electric brakes) (kg / lb) 550 / 1212.75

Source:
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo....jpg&zone=Zone

The UK's Urban Cruiser has standard rear disc brakes and a 6 speed MT.
Source:
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?deepLink=UC1_Equipment_new&nodiv=TRUE&fullwidth=TRUE&edname=UC1_equipment&zone=Zone
One of the components for rating the towing capacity of a car in the UK is based on a hill start on a 14% grade. The transmission and brake differences may be the reason the XD isn't rated for towing at all. It's possible that the car in the U.S. configuration just isn't up to the task, especially the auto trans versions. I don't think the Urban Cruiser is even offered with an auto trans. I'd say this is more likely than thinking that it isn't rated to tow here because it costs money to rate it. The UK version is a totally different beast.
I'm surprised the suppliers of the tow hitches for the XD don't have a disclaimer stating that these hitches are only to be used for mounting bike racks or something similar. Or maybe they do? Seems like it would be a serious liabilty issue.

Last edited by hobojon; 07-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
The transmission and brake differences may be the reason the XD isn't rated for towing at all. It's possible that the car in the U.S. configuration just isn't up to the task, especially the auto trans versions. I don't think the Urban Cruiser is even offered with an auto trans. I'd say this is more likely than thinking that it isn't rated to tow here because it costs money to rate it. The UK version is a totally different beast.
Cool, hobojon, you're the winner! Thanks for clearing this up. I had no idea the Toyota Urban Cruiser is the UK version of the US Scion xD. I would 100% agree the transmission and brake system differences are the reason the XD is rated for towing in the UK and not in the US. Notice the Urban Cruiser costs about 30% more.

I have a canoe, bikes, and camping gear I want to tow with my xD. No more than 350 lbs trailer gross weight. That way we can keep clean clothes, etc. in the car and dirty camping gear on the trailer. I believe an additional transmission cooler and figuring the trailer's added gross weight into the xD's GVWR, should end up with an economical and safe alternative to the costly roof rack systems.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason I posted the Yaris rating a while back is that the xD/Urban Cruiser was not sold in .europe at that time. The Yaris and xD share the same platform. That was the closest comparison at the time.

My statements will not get anyone killed. If someone does something stupid with their xD, then someone might get killed. Nobody says anything to all the people who tint their tail lights so that they are harder to see. That is truly dangerous.

The US government is not in charge of rating cars for their towing ability. Car companies put out that information. There are MANY European cars that aree rated to tow. This includes The Saab 9-5, which is rated tom tow 3,500 pounds!

Again, Toyota has reasons for not rating their cars for towing in the US: US citizens and insurance companies are known for being lawsuit-happy. Higher towing ratings mightnbump the cars into a different EPA category. And, Toyota sells highly-profitable trucks which are rated for towing.

Trailer hitch manufacturers all state that you should not tow above the vehicle manufacturer's tow rating. This helps to cover them in case of a lawsuit, but does completely cover them.

As many stupid things as people do with their cars, towing is at the bottom of then list. Most people who would tow with a small car know all of the risks involved and take proper precautions. Therer are always idiots out there, though. Fortunately, towing with small cars is mostly self-correcting, because the people who wouldn't know what they are doing also generally wouldn't know that they even COULD tow a trailer with their car.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Transmission Cooler

Originally Posted by dallasjoe
i put a trans cooler on my xd and pull a small trailer. if the load is heavy stay in 3rd with auto with stick 4th
what trans cooler did you use? I'm having trouble finding one. And is it working out pretty well?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't get me wrong, I like what you're doing and the help you're giving on this subject, but until you provide some actual verifiable proof, your credibility factor is about zero and I highly recommend people think twice before towing 1900lbs in an xD. Your life may depend on it.
I'm providing that proof all the time. I have towed for thousands of miles on my xD. Not an exaggeration. I have never had a problem going, stopping, turning, etc. No signs of fatigue at the hitch mounting points. Oil analysis shows less than average wear for this model engine. Fuel economy figures prove that the engine is not overworked. I have also logged coolant temps while towing 1,400 pounds on a 101 degree day. What other proof is needed?

My cargo trailer does not have brakes. However, I am in the process of ordering a camper to tow behind the xD. I am ordering it with brakes for added safety. If you are interested, I am buying a Scamp 13 with just about every option -- fridge, AC, heat, sleeping for four. Not getting the bathroom or the oak cabinets. Weight including options should be under 1,300 pounds.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM

What a GREAT thread!! My hitch is now installed with the wiring due to the helpfulness found here. Thanks to all especially McBrew. Next stop is Harbor Freight.....lol
Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member

Factory book that came with mine said no no!

but i guess the book with my 240 didn't say to swap in a motor... hehe

I would be careful...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Postmaster_G

I would be careful...
Always...

By the way, the manual is not the "factory" manual, it is the Toyota of North America manual. Different from other countries, like England, which tells you in the manual that you CAN tow.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Always...

By the way, the manual is not the "factory" manual, it is the Toyota of North America manual. Different from other countries, like England, which tells you in the manual that you CAN tow.
...sorry, dealer supplied manual for my vehicle. The one that was packaged with the warranty manual. I mean you can tow with a bike, hell I could have put a hitch on my old 240. Guess it really depends on how you wanna roll.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...sorry, dealer supplied manual for my vehicle. The one that was packaged with the warranty manual. I mean you can tow with a bike, hell I could have put a hitch on my old 240. Guess it really depends on how you wanna roll.

like your eyes at him apparently?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

your not even supposed to carry a bike rake on any scion. Only the roof ones
Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frizz
your not even supposed to carry a bike rake on any scion. Only the roof ones
Wow. That's new and helpful info. Oh, wait. It's not.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota, who is the designer and manufacturer of the Scion xD, DOES DOES DOES rate it to tow.

Toyota of North America takes away that rating for their own reasons. do you REALLY think the xD can't even carry a bike on the back? Seriously?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
like your eyes at him apparently?
akshuly eye roll is for thread...

4u hehe jk
Old 09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

akshuly eye roll is for thread...

4u hehe jk

come again? english?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
come again? english?
engrish lol... not really

google?

jk

And to the guy with the uhaul attached. LMFAO - - you sir have heart!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engrish lol... not really

google?

jk

And to the guy with the uhaul attached. LMFAO - - you sir have heart!
Heart? That Uhaul trailer was well within Toyota's tow limit for the xD, and well under the limit for my hitch. I'm talking Toyota in Japan, not Toyota "Americans are too dumb to tow" North America.

I tow a trailer at least once a week. Just wait until you see a pic with my camper in tow!

Quick Reply: FYI on xD trailer hitches