Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Hot Lava xD -- Does No Haggle Pricing Apply?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Hot Lava xD -- Does No Haggle Pricing Apply?

I went to a local Toyota dealer to test drive the xB and xD and the only two xDs they had to drive both happened to be Hot Lava. I noticed that the sticker was gone and there was what looked like a computer printout of a bill with very little info and a price of about 18,500.

Is it possible that they've marked the car up? Does Scion allow this? This dealer is notorious in my area for shady dealings.

I fell in love with the car, but can't afford a new car payment now, so it kind of broke my heart.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It depends on if the dealership added any accessories. That would cause the price to go up. If its an auto that sounds about right, I have a Hot Lava 5pd and it was about $17,994.00
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out another dealership, maybe surf the Toyota dealerships in the area and see if they have any on their lots to compare. The RS is $1,999.00 over base.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate the pure price crap. i have never bought anything full price until i bought my scion. heck i even talked my wifes engagement ring down 800 bucks before i bought it.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MY RS1 was also pure price. Sorry, no dealies to be had. btw, the $1999 for the RS features IS A STEAL. Sweet deal fo sho.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On pure pricing:
If you equip a similar vehicle to have the same standard feature set as the xD, the price is a bit higher... the best example comes from pricing a Yaris 5-hatch (you can build it on Toyota.com now). It's a 1.5L 1NZ with automatic trans only. The base was around $14500. I think it tops out at about $14700. You can only get a few hundred from negotiating a Yaris, and it's usually selling @ msrp at the moment due to fuel prices. Plus, you miss out on some features from the xD =P Granted it's all vanity, but still nice to have.

For the price paid, it's definitely not a "rip-off", but it very likely puts the first time buyers at ease that everything is posted up on the walls to show exactly what they are paying and what they are getting.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turner
i hate the pure price crap. i have never bought anything full price until i bought my scion. heck i even talked my wifes engagement ring down 800 bucks before i bought it.
ya like the recent post states, take a equally priced car and it wont have near the same options as the Xd has. or take a equally equipped car and the Xd will be less money. perfect example is the 4 door yaris. fully loaded the yaris stickers at $16.8 and doesnt have VSC which a fully loaded Xd does have. so for the same money you get a better looking vehicle, near same gas mileage, better interior, rear reclining seats, VSC, Ipod Accessbile, better engine, etc. ya, pure pricing is far from being a "bad thing" more like being a "good thing" imo.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM

As a robbiej said check out another dealer specially if the dealer your talking about has had a bad reputation.

I too was a little bummed when we finally decided we wanted an xD, since I am one of the sick ones out there who does enjoy doing his/her research and then going to the dealers for a good 12-round bout of haggling, as sick as that might sound. But overall after looking at numerous cars in the class, I have to agree with most here that for the price and the "standard" equiptment you get, pure price on the xD is more than fair.

And remember since it's pure pricing get the option/color/what ever you really want don't settle for what's on the lot (unless you do want the RS), as long as you don't mind the wait that is....... 2 week now and we're still wating for our car.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the pricing is pretty fair for what you get. If you simply add on a five axis kit it will set you back a couple thousand clams after paint and install. So that said you are ahead of the game and everything else is free! Get yourself some wheels though-Hubcaps are lame..