Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

iPhone 3Gs and 2010 xD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 AM

Default iPhone 3Gs and 2010 xD

We just got a 2010 xD with the basic Scion audio system installed. When I plug in my iPhone 3Gs nothing happens at all. The iPhone is on, but button iPod button on the stereo controls seems dead. I even tried opening the iPhone app to see if that triggered anything, but I get nada.

In the manual for the stereo the list of compatible iPod/iPhones only lists the iPhone 3G, not the 3Gs (information updated August 200. Is this just an old stereo they put in? Should I take it back? Or am I just SOL?

The service people at my dealership aren't that communicative, and I have a feeling they'll probably just shrug their shoulders and blame the iPhone unless I've got some solid information in hand, so I thought I'd start here first. Any help appreciated.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend hooked up his 2nd gen iPhone with the iPod connection cable and was playing music, but the song selection wouldn't come up on the stereo; we'd have to unplug, select a new song, and replug. There seems to be a problem with recognition of the device, so you could very well, just be SOL. good luck, hope this helped a little bit.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks. I guess Toyota will be hearing from us on this. They shouldn't describe it as compatible with iPods and iPhones if they're not going to bother keeping the firmware in their stereos updated for newer models. I've read a bunch of complaints on these forums about Apple and their lack of updates, but Apple doesn't try to get you to buy their products by saying things like "it comes all ready to plug into your Scion". Our xD practically just rolled off the assembly line -- if they tell you it works with the iPhone that should include a model that's been on the market for 4 months. But now I'm just venting...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha not a problem man, what you're saying makes sense, they definitely should offer firmware updates, I guess all the iPod's are going to have the same ish, why mess with something if it works? but if the phones dont work at least add that into there.

anyway, i agree with you man, hope theres something that can be figured out
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it's all Apple really..
if it doesn't work.. blame it on Apple.. and you're SOL.

why would Toyota have to be forced to upgrade stuff alongside Apple when Apple keeps changing crap ALL THE TIME?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Default Is it the right head unit?

When I got my 2010 xB last month, the inept (or dishonest? not sure) dealer gave me the old stereo. I instantly recognized the difference but gave it a try anyhow. Neither the USB (for a flash drive or my iPhone 3G) nor the aux in (for the mini-phono cable) worked, and my iPod button on the stereo also seemed dead.

WTF!? Did the dealer know the difference in the stereos and was trying to get over on me, or was the dealer ignorant to the difference between last year's and this year's? Either way, I'm not going back there for service.

I had to lean on the dealer to put the right stereo in (had to freakin' prove I knew what I was talking about by showing them this article from cnet), and after I did the iPhone works pretty well, with the exception of sometimes the volume comes on set very loud and the volume **** doesn't affect it (disconnect & reconnect to fix it), and sometimes for no reason I can tell, I get "connection error" when I hook up my phone.

I have to say, I envisioned using my iPhone a lot, but I am tending toward using a 16gb flash drive a lot more often.

Good luck!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one asked or mentioned this: Are your iPods and iPhones running the 3.0? If so that's your problem. Still, it is Apple's fault for breaking something in the OS for the iPods and iPhones that started this in the first place.

My 32GB iPod Touch (current gen) isn't recognized at all by my headunit (Avic F700BT) but my old video iPod is. Pester Apple enough and maybe they'll fix it... maybe...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 AM

I don't know if this helps at all but i just got my 2010 Xd and it sound like your head unit is not working right i plug my Iphone 3gs in and it works fine. Me and my buddy even pluged his 2nd gen iphone in and it also worked. When i plug it in it says searching then it starts to play the last playlist i was listening to. Hope you you get it working