2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Minor complaints..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Minor complaints..

This is the only car that is as loud inside the cabin with the windows up or down.. LOL.. seriously.. there is not much difference.. lots of road noise..
Also you get wind buffeting at hwy speeds with the front window rolled down.
The stock speakers sucks..
Otherwise.. I really enjoy this great little car.. these issues are minor and
really dont distract from the overall experience..
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't wanna sound rude, but what were you expecting for the price you paid exactly? Toyota may make both lexus and scion, but don't expect the same level of luxury in both of them. The road noise is a common complaint, and the solution is edead or dynamat. Sounds expensive? That's why lexus costs more. No matter what i/you do to this car, at the end of the day, its still an econobox. Its a stylish point a to point b golf cart with doors. Don't get me wrong, I love my xD. But I love her for what she is, and don't ask her to be anymore than she is without me dumping more $$$ into her. And after 5$$$, she's just about where I want her. So, make it your own, accept it for what it is, and learn to enjoy road noise. Or sell it and buy a corolla or if you're rolling in dough go lexus.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
I don't wanna sound rude, but what were you expecting for the price you paid exactly? Toyota may make both lexus and scion, but don't expect the same level of luxury in both of them. The road noise is a common complaint, and the solution is edead or dynamat. Sounds expensive? That's why lexus costs more. No matter what i/you do to this car, at the end of the day, its still an econobox. Its a stylish point a to point b golf cart with doors. Don't get me wrong, I love my xD. But I love her for what she is, and don't ask her to be anymore than she is without me dumping more $$$ into her. And after 5$$$, she's just about where I want her. So, make it your own, accept it for what it is, and learn to enjoy road noise. Or sell it and buy a corolla or if you're rolling in dough go lexus.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Maybe you didn't read my post..

"I really enjoy this great little car.. these issues are minor and
really dont distract from the overall experience.."

I was not expecting a lexus and never said it should be or I was disappointed in any way.. did I? I'm quited pleased with the car
and got more than I expected.. but it's LOUD and it buffets in the
wind with the window open.. Get over it..
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats with just front or all windows down?
yeah my tc cabin is really loud. louder than my gf xb1 cabin
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by lltysonll
really? my tc is way quite, even at highway speeds... at least compared to my 01 eclipse. the difference is night and day.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lltysonll
Front drivers window down.. I can help it by opening others part way..
was just finding something to _____ about to make small talk..
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

small talk aye. yeah rear windows cracked or down does cure it.

mud3: yeah idk my tc was quite i think it due to me being lowered on stechs, and not having and wheel well liners.

but im not sure if that the culprit. I know its not my trd exhaust its pretty quite.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys havent driven a loud car if this car is loud stock

The stock tires are rather lousy as far as road noise, an upgrade to those would solve most of the issue i think. Other then that engine noise at highway speeds will be loud as it really feels like it was meant to have a six speed in my opinion.

As far as the speakers, the xD has one of the best set ups stock for its class. Maybe you need to adjust the settings? I know the new iPods (touch/phone) sound like poop compared to my 2nd gen nano but thats more of a software issue then anything
Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea the helicopter sound effects are hard on the ear drums when going down the highway with one or both front windows down. Cracking a rear window usually relieves it tho.

And my xD has NOTHING on my old '95 Dodge Neon for road noise. I will never ever again own a car that doesnt have hard metal on the doors over the windows for the windows to seat firmly against. The windows would squeak and rub against the gaskets and make noises like a rabid squirrel trying to chew its way into the car. As well as the ungodly road noise from the tires, no matter what tires I put on it.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait, tC quiet. What?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may be loud and noisy, but the xD is one heck of a car!! My mom likes my car more than my dad's Civic.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea to be honest as soon as you change the crap stock tires the ride quality will get better and be much quieter.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
yea to be honest as soon as you change the crap stock tires the ride quality will get better and be much quieter.

i got new rims, and moved the stock tires over (for now). i'm looking at getting 205/55/16's for the rims (i know, the stocks are 195/60/16, the difference was 2 millimeters). What do you suggest to help alleviate road noise?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Check reviews on tirerack. I believe they rate road noise in the review or test section for a bunch of different tires.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as the speakers... is your radio set to xD mode? They are set to tC mode by default, and will not sound right.

Every car I have owned has had horrible buffeting with only one window down. It seems that it gets worse the more aerodynamic the car is. I find it best to have both windows on the same side of the car rolled down the same, then the rear window on the other side down about 1-2 inches. The same thing worked on my Golf and my Mercedes 300D.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=mcbrew;3618755]As far as the speakers... is your radio set to xD mode? They are set to tC mode by default, and will not sound right./quote]

are you serious with this ____? lol
Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the audio.. Thanks for pointing out the obvious..
Seriously.. I had adjusted the bass and treble.. but didn't play with the SSP settings.. Moving from neutral to hear, it sounds much better.. was lacking the oomph before.. sounded totally flat.

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
you guys havent driven a loud car if this car is loud stock

The stock tires are rather lousy as far as road noise, an upgrade to those would solve most of the issue i think. Other then that engine noise at highway speeds will be loud as it really feels like it was meant to have a six speed in my opinion.

As far as the speakers, the xD has one of the best set ups stock for its class. Maybe you need to adjust the settings? I know the new iPods (touch/phone) sound like poop compared to my 2nd gen nano but thats more of a software issue then anything
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
As far as the speakers... is your radio set to xD mode? They are set to tC mode by default, and will not sound right.

Every car I have owned has had horrible buffeting with only one window down. It seems that it gets worse the more aerodynamic the car is. I find it best to have both windows on the same side of the car rolled down the same, then the rear window on the other side down about 1-2 inches. The same thing worked on my Golf and my Mercedes 300D.
I dont have the buffeting issues with my other cars.. not like this one.. The vette is actually the best for window down, no buffeting and no wind directly in your face..
On other cars, I usually only get buffeting with the back window down.. thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
About the audio.. Thanks for pointing out the obvious..
Seriously.. I had adjusted the bass and treble.. but didn't play with the SSP settings.. Moving from neutral to hear, it sounds much better.. was lacking the oomph before.. sounded totally flat.

try the "feel"... it increases the bass. "hear" is more treble.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=midnight_king;3618789]
Originally Posted by mcbrew
As far as the speakers... is your radio set to xD mode? They are set to tC mode by default, and will not sound right./quote]

are you serious with this ____? lol
Yes, and it will revert back to tC any time the power is cut off from the radio (battery taken out, etc.). The dealership is supposed to set it back to the xD setting (or xB if that's what you drive), but most of them don't know that. Mine was set wrong when I bought the car, and was back to tC mode after the dealership installed the short shift kit. My trip meter was set back to zero, too... so I know they unhooked the battery (which it says to do before just about ANY work on the car).

Turn your radio on, then HOLD the SSP button until it says "Car Type __" in the display. You can roll the volume **** to select tC, xB, or xD. Then press the SSP button again to save it.

Quick Reply: Minor complaints..