2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Need Honest Answers about Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
those stock dunlops are rated for 20,000 miles, and run $190 a tire. they have yokohama's that are rated for 80,000 miles, all season, for $135 a tire.

might want to do some research to save some money!
Yeah, I know. They're wicked expensive. Toyota wants $134/tire. I've got about 36,500 miles on them now. I can't find any place around here with more options for tires. I need new tires before winter hits and I'm screwed.

I've been looking around tirerack.com and at the tire sizes I might be able to go with.

Not to hijack the OP's thread. I started a thread in the Tire section. I could use some help, if anyone could stop by and give me some advice, or PM me.

Last edited by spinthetension; 11-03-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member

Wink

Not a D owner but 1st Gen B and now 2nd Gen B. Had both in northern Wisconsin and no problems at all... like driving an enclosed snow mobile. 60K miles in 3 years on the B and lovin' it! Scion is one of the best ($$) kept secrets out there!!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Zoo
5 Year Member

as long as you get snow tires you'll be fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a set of 195/60/16 blizzaks on my 08 xD, Major difference from the stock dunlop all seasons. Was considering a AWD after getting stuck a few times, but decided to invest in some snows. Well worth it.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
SL Member

stock tires suck. I had problems in the snow and ice with them. new set of good tires, works like dream now in snow.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Michelin Hydro Edges are freakin' sweet in the snow! Now that they've been properly broken in, that is. We've gotten some decent snowfall up here in N. Chicago, so I've had plenty of chances to break them in.

Lovin' the xD in the snow.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all these answers and suggestions an OP is gone. Anyway, I am still on my Bridgestone RE040/Kuhmo setup. been just fine for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM

This is my first time posting, but i've been on here for a few months. Got my xD back in October and love it! Even though we don't get much snow here in Houston, Tx, I'm glad this thread was here. I plan on finding a place further north once I graduate and was concerned about how my vehicle would handle winter weather. So far I figure I will have to get some snow tires, no problem :D.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh, had a little trouble getting out of the parking lot at work last night. We got about 4 inches of snow while at work and it wasnt plowed. It was quite slushy from everyone else driving thru it and you have to make an L shaped turn at a T intersection on a hill to get out. Couldnt make it up the hill, the traction control was flashing and I wasnt going anywhere. So I backed down the hill to give it a shot up the hill. While many of my co workers are looking on. I'm sure to get lots of razzing tomorrow.

I got the tires last year with my income tax refund so they are almost exactly a year old. I went to look them up to see what kind of milage rating they have on them thinking they cant be worn down already. They only have about 20k miles on them. Guess what I've been driving on all last winter and this winter? High performance summer tires. LMAO! I ask for all season and they give me summer tires?! If you are in or around Pennsylvania, I therefore do not recommend you go to any Jack Williams Tire!

Nexen N3000's for reference. I guess since I bought them a year ago its too late to do much about it now but eh if the car did this good on summer tires, wait till I get real all seasons on it! (When these get worn out of course, I'm cheap like that, and we have my husbands four wheel drive for the really bad days anyway.)
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member

I've still got my original Dunlops on the original rims. 20K miles, car is 2 years old.
No complaints with snow handling....not trying to drive like a maniac in the snow anyway. There's a bit of sliding here and there, but nothing that I haven't experienced on other all season tires during the winter.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
Eh, had a little trouble getting out of the parking lot at work last night. We got about 4 inches of snow while at work and it wasnt plowed. It was quite slushy from everyone else driving thru it and you have to make an L shaped turn at a T intersection on a hill to get out. Couldnt make it up the hill, the traction control was flashing and I wasnt going anywhere. So I backed down the hill to give it a shot up the hill. While many of my co workers are looking on. I'm sure to get lots of razzing tomorrow.

I got the tires last year with my income tax refund so they are almost exactly a year old. I went to look them up to see what kind of milage rating they have on them thinking they cant be worn down already. They only have about 20k miles on them. Guess what I've been driving on all last winter and this winter? High performance summer tires. LMAO! I ask for all season and they give me summer tires?! If you are in or around Pennsylvania, I therefore do not recommend you go to any Jack Williams Tire!

Nexen N3000's for reference. I guess since I bought them a year ago its too late to do much about it now but eh if the car did this good on summer tires, wait till I get real all seasons on it! (When these get worn out of course, I'm cheap like that, and we have my husbands four wheel drive for the really bad days anyway.)

i bought yokohama's. they got individual treads in them for rain, snow, dry. it's a cool design on the tire. When driving through the snow, you can tell which treads are for the snow, they never have any in them!! LOL

i'll post a pic when I can...