Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

New to the XD family, a few questions and impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 AM

Default New to the XD family, a few questions and impressions.

I purchased a slightly used (originally purchased August 08 ) 2008 model with only 8k miles for $13,800 at 5pm today. It came with a certified pre-owned warranty 7 year/100,000 miles plus the regular warranty 3 years/36k. So I basically got a free extended warranty and paid less on a brand new car. It even has the new car smell still there. There are a few rock ding marks, but nothing too out of the ordinary. They're going to tint the windows this week with anything I want as it was included. Mats included as well as cargo net they even left some cleaning supplies in the back. I think I got a pretty sweet deal. It's the Magnetic Gray which was probably my favorite. I could have gone white. Nautical blue was an option, but I think I enjoy the gray over it.

A few questions though:

-----------------------------------------------

1) How do I get the cargo net to hook up? I see the two bottom metal hooks on the left and right of the trunk, but I have no clue where to hook anything else for the top portion.

2) What is with the "sticker" on the back doors.

This image is the only thing I can think will explain it. (Not my car).

Name:  IYG0C.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  503 Bytes

Whoever tried to wax mine left some pretty hideous marks rubbing away at it almost peeling it slightly. It's like if you flicked at it on purpose. But that's beside the point. In some photos online even posted on these forums by users I don't see this "sticker" on the back doors, but some I do. Maybe I just can't make it out in the shots. What's with it? Is it on every vehicle? It seems pretty odd. Can you peel it off?

I'll try to post a photo tomorrow morning when the sun is out to show you some of the rough areas on it. I was going to get touch up paint for some of the rock dings. Do you think getting the touch up paint will work on the sticker "area". When I post the photo you'll get a better idea.

3) Do you think keeping the car waxed well will help deter rock dings from driving on the freeway. I would like to protect the paint as much as possible as I've heard complaints of it chipping easily. I don't want to do a car bra. Any suggestions on keeping it to a minimum?

Some notes on complaints I've heard.

• Paint chipping. Definitely a problem.
• Road noise? What noise? I did come from a 17 year old car——now that's road noise.
• Creaks and noises? I heard quite a bit when I test drove and let myself just buy the car. Funny thing is either I am completely use to them or they disappeared. Weird.
• Horrible blind spots? I guess maybe. I find it pretty easy to know exactly where a car is from behind. This is also coming from a guy who drove a car that legally was allowed to only have the left passenger side mirror. I feel pretty secure on the road already. Only thing I can't figure out is how far my nose is since I can't see it and I'm 5'10". I'll figure it out in probably a week.

I know it's been said before, but the internet greatly amplifies complaints. I came into the car with way too much research and I found it interesting how the complaints where no where as bad as the internet made them out to be. Sure I can understand some issues, but I was expecting a whole lot worse. Just my two cents in hoping to counter-balance the complaint department. It is an econo-box after all.

--------------------------

Besides that I absolutely love this car. I drove a 1992 Nissan Sentra 2-door my whole driving life (16-25). Now at 25 this is my first car purchase since the Sentra was a handy down. I cant wait to tint it. I'll probably add a sway bar down the line as well as add some rims when the stock tires officially wear out.

I'll probably be hanging out here annoying you with tons of questions. Glad to be a part of the community. I've lurked here for quite a while.

If you've made it down to here. Congratulations!

tl;dr (a synopsis)
3 questions: How do you work the cargo net? What's with the "sticker" door? Avoid paint chipping?

Great car. Complaints I've heard are amplified in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) if im not mistaken the owners manual shows the locales for the hooks
2) everyones car has that, even yaris'
3) it helps with minor scratches, highway rocks are still going to chip, best bet is a 3M clear bra from a body shop
Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
1) if im not mistaken the owners manual shows the locales for the hooks
From further exception I think the cargo net is just some generic one the previous owner purchased hoping it would work, and not the actual one for the Scion so that's why I can't figure out the hooks.

2) everyones car has that, even yaris'
Interesting. Why's it there? It seems out of place.

3) it helps with minor scratches, highway rocks are still going to chip, best bet is a 3M clear bra from a body shop
Cool, I'll look into some.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2) i noticed that on mine but figured "eh, it's design"
Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM

So I took some shots and with flash it made it much more pronounced.

Name:  J99O4.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  30.9 KB

No flash, but blurry:
Name:  J9AFW.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

Do you think touch-up paint will cover up the white roughness? It's like they really went to town waxing that area instead of being gentle around it. Any suggestions on where to get some besides the dealer?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It is high impact resistant urethane film from 3M. It is made to protect high impact areas from chipping excessively.... Looks like someone didnt know how to clean the edges of it......Take some rubbing alcohol and a towel and soak it out... You can use your fingernail but u can also lift the edge or scratch the paint by it.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) i cant really help you with that cargo net, if its not the optiional scion one it may just not work
2)that sticker thing i believe is to help protect the car from rock dings. the sticker on my car is only pronounced when ive waxed it and was to lazy to properly clean up that area.
3)clear bra 100%

also as for the road noise, ive riddin in a few diff scions and ownd a few myself and the biggest factor in that is the kind of tire its riding on.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
It is high impact resistant urethane film from 3M. It is made to protect high impact areas from chipping excessively.... Looks like someone didnt know how to clean the edges of it......Take some rubbing alcohol and a towel and soak it out... You can use your fingernail but u can also lift the edge or scratch the paint by it.
Cool! I'll try that and see how it goes. I'll start on a small corner and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Besides some minor dings inside the back trunk where the previous owner put in some cargo the car is pretty immaculate and I'm really excited to actually be owning this car.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

oh yeah and dont tailgate to avoid chips as much as possible.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl 70%) worked like a charm! It's now spick and span! I'm guessing it was some wax residue or something, but it got it all off and now the "sticker" blends in perfectly! Awesome!

Also, I NEVER tail gate. One it's inconsiderate, two it is more likely I'll be in an accident and in California by law rear-ending is always the rear-ender's fault (and it should be 99% of the time).
Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Very Nice.. Yea it was wax... Rubbing alcohol does wonders for wax.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in PA, I keep that area well waxed, so I don't use rubbing alcohol.

My trick in removing that wax line that makes the chip guard noticeable, is a wood tooth pick. It removes the wax without scratching the paint and is more detailed than a fingernail.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have rock chips on the sides of my car than the front. figure that one out. that strip of clear viny does offer a bit of protection for the car kickin up rocks into the back doors. clear bra the front of the car and you'll have to clean all that wax off that too. all those things you read about...blind spots etc. I don't seem to have that problem. I guess people need computers these days to tell them whats around them. rattles and squeaks? well, it's an econobox. it's supposed to rattle and squeak. I don;t complain about my rattles and squeaks. I don;t care. I just rev a little higher and drown them out with the intake
Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM

I have the same issue with scratches in the doors. I've had my xD for a week and lready have numerous scratches on both front doors. Cant figure it out. The car I traded in (96 grand cherokee) got caught in a hail storm about a month ago and came out without any noticeable scratches. A clear bra on the front isnt gonna protect the doors.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car paint has to be low VOC now... and they tend to be MUCH easier to scratch.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to answer the question 1) Picture is not too clear but you can make out the T hook that is used to connect the top net piece to. This piece came with the net kit.

it seems i can not post a picture - i have the picture in my gallery