Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Planning on buying an xD soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Planning on buying an xD soon

I will hopefully be buying an xD soon but what do you think of them compared to the 2008 nissan versas? One other question, if i add the TRD 18' black alloys, about how much will that affect the MPG? 1?2?5? Also, what other add-ons do you suggest adding? and does anyone know the results of the Crash Test Rating on the xD? Thanks! also, how does it drive on the freeway? i didn't get a chance to drive it for long ;( road noise, pick up etc.

here is what i am planning on getting added at time of purchase:
-Tinting (no idea how dark to go,never done this before!ill take all suggestion) - 295$
-18' Wheel/Tire Package - 1,999$
-TRD Rear Sway Bar - 250$
-Lowering Springs - 250$
-TRD Exhaust w/ Sport Muffler - 469$
-Air Filter - 69$ (idk if it is even worth getting, input will be nice!)
-Wheel Locks - 45$
-Rear Spoiler - 385$
-Scion Security - 499$
-Floor Mats/Cargo - 120$
-Sport Pedals by OBX - 79$
I beleive the price will come out to around $23,000 with tax and the 299$ doc fee.
A 2008 versa basically fully loaded and platinum warranty will be 18k walking out the door.. SO CONFUSED!

I also planned on getting the Navigation System / Upgraded Audio but this will bring my total MUCH higher than i want to spend. I will probably just buy a 300-500$ nav system and get new audio/woofer installed somewhere for far cheaper.. I will also take advice on good nav systems and if you think my accessories im adding are worth it or if i should get a few of them somewhere else as well.. Do you think I should get any upgraded warranties or anything in particular with the purchase? THANKS A BUNCH! this will be my first car and have no idea on these things! SRY for the long post but just want to make the right decisions on everything as I need to get the car within the next couple of days!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not recommend getting the Scion security system. I Bought it for my xD and it is a total ripoff.

1.It does not have any shock sensors. (someone could steal your wheels, or put the car on a flat bed truck and it would not sound an alarm. )

2.It does not have a proper siren. When I can get it to react, all it does is trigger the "panic" mode that the keyless remote does. Horn honks and lights flash.

3.The "glass breakage sensor" is a microphone installed which I have yet to get to react to anything. Seriously, It does not work. I just had the dealer readjust the sensitivity and it is worthless.

4. $500 could get you something much better than a crappy mic that is supposed to trigger panic mode. Go to a local shop and see what they have.

Sorry for my rant. I wish I had read all the tC and xB posts about this before I bought it. Stupid me.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't get the 18" rims for the xD. Thats a lot of money for not so good looking rims, plus I would think it cheaper to get them elsewhere. Anything you buy through the dealer is overpriced.

Don't buy the TRD sway bar, buy the Tanabe one (sells for $98 ) and it's just as good (?). I'm pretty sure you can find the sport pedals somewhere else too, maybe in a bundle with some other piece for the car.

Basically I was worried about my monthly payment, so I just went with stock, alarm system, and I got my mats thrown in for free. Then I went and got my windows tinted for $230 ($30 off). About two weeks ago I lent my car to Tanabe who tested their springs on my car and strut bars, but only got to keep the springs. Now I'm wanting to get the Tanabe rear sway bar (why pay more for TRD?) and shopping around for decent rims and wheels.

I think the navi system is crap. I'm a believer in using a MAP and planning your trip before you leave.

treblestauter - so the $500 alarm system is completely worthless then? I did wonder what the alarm would sound like if it were to go off. Can't complain though, its giving me a discount on my insurance for having it.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD wheels are not that bad. The price is a little steep however. You can search through SparksTRD.com i believe the website is. They sell them for 250 a piece no tires though. But you could expect to pay 1600 ish for a decent set of tires and the wheels. I mean you are saving a couple hundred dollars. As far as the sway bar goes. I haven't seen a Tanabe Sway available on the Tanabe site. The TRD is 150 i believe at that website. I would recomend either Tanabe or TRD, but i feel like for the couple extra dollars i would go with TRD. They are OEM mods i guess you can say......
Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS

treblestauter - so the $500 alarm system is completely worthless then? I did wonder what the alarm would sound like if it were to go off. Can't complain though, its giving me a discount on my insurance for having it.
Thats good that you got a discount on insurance! The alarm is not completely worthless. It will go off if someone opens the door and it is armed. It is supposed to go off if someone breaks a window as well. The manual says it should give a warning if you "tap on the glass". I have yet to get this to happen.

If you want to hear your alarm, hit the panic button on your key. Thats what it sounds like. If you want to trigger it, try leaving the windows down and arming it. Then open the door from the inside handle. Or just sit inside your car and arm it, then open a door. You get it. Not worthless, but also not worth $500. Motion sensors or at very least shock sensors would be expected for that price. My two cents.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea thats true, with getting more features for the monies. I've messed with the panic button because I like the sound of the horn, its not dinky like other small cars! Though I did read about an alarm system that you could add on to the stock one and it had more to offer. Completely forget the name though.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 AM

I drove the Versa, advertised on "Heroes" last year and looked like a nice ride, engine was too weak for me and I've always considered Nissan a distant third behind the big boys Toyota and Honda. I'm a Toyota man and was about to buy a Matrix but I read '07 was the last model year THEN read about the Scion xD and all its standard features- no contest!

Anyway, only options I have are the automatic and floor mats. I say go for it on the mods but skip the Scion security and get a Viper for 200 bucks less. If you want a fool-proof anti-theft system to go with an alarm, get the Ravelco-had mine attached last week, without the plug the car won't start.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, Ravelco was the system I looked at getting for my car. Though now it might be useless because I have an alarm on my car. Think its worth more money for a better system on top of the Scion system? Or just stick with what I have?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Yea, Ravelco was the system I looked at getting for my car. Though now it might be useless because I have an alarm on my car. Think its worth more money for a better system on top of the Scion system? Or just stick with what I have?
Ravelco wouldn't be useless because its not an alarm, its basically a starter kill. The base unit has wires connected to the electrical components of the car such as the ignition, fuel pump, fuel injection, etc. When you pull the plug out of the base unit, you've cut the flow of electricity. Ravelco doesn't take power from the battery and its not going to interfere with your alarm or LoJack if you have one. If you want layered protection, the Ravelco would be in place alongside your alarm. I'm planning to get an alarm for my xD as an added noise maker- nothing elaborate.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM

How much does the Ravelco system run usually and how much does it lower the insurance? Just wondering if it worth spending the extra money.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont get the wheel locks either, unless you want to be stranded on the side of the road when they break off when changing your flat tire.

The Scion alarm is absolutely ridiculous, no functionality for the money. you already have RKE, pretty much anything other than that are just noisemakers which are for the most part pointless.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by coolfrood
How much does the Ravelco system run usually and how much does it lower the insurance? Just wondering if it worth spending the extra money.
The base unit plus the extra plug is $400 plus tax. I was charged a destination fee because of the distance. Total "out the door" was $460.

Unfortunately, the Ravelco didn't lower my insurance, but depending on your carrier and where you live, it may lower yours.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:23 PM
SL Member

I've had my xD for a little over a month now. I drive on the highway everyday about 50 miles, and have not had any problem with noise or lack of get up and go.

I didn't buy any excessories from the dealer, you can find almost everything the dealer has for a little less at TRDSparks.com

As far as a nav system I would go with a Garmin, they are pretty user friendly.

Good luck making up your mind, if I had to do it over so far I would buy it again.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

I will tell this to anyone who will listen ... dont buy your add ons from the dealership if you can wait. Your financing parts that will only sky rocket in the long run. I knew someone who bought a 1st gen xB and bought the 19" TRDs. We did some quick math and when the loan was up the wheels would have cost him just shy of 3 grand. You can buy the same wheels for much less .. and similar style for a 3rd of that.

Anything your planning on installing on your car you can get cheaper and better quality from other retailers. For example ( i dont know where you live ) but here on LI NY we can get you tint on all your windows under $200. Local stereo shops can get you Pioneer Navi for less then Scion. They can also install alarms with paging and/or remote starting options. For the price your paying for Scion security you can get a nice Viper with remote window roll down funciton. Wheels can be bought through online shopping, look around here and keep an eye out.

Yeah, your xDs are new, but the after market is working over time to get those parts out, just be patiant.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only reason to buy accessories from the dealer is if you don't have the cash to buy it independently. you will def save $$$ if you shop around; Craigslist, SL classified, Trd.sparks.com, ect. The only advantage to having the dealer install everything is that 1. it's done either when you get the car or soon after, 2. you don't pay for it right away upfront (added to the pymts).
You do pay for it many times over the dealer installed price however in the end.
For me having a "wishlist" is something to look forward to, and it's ok to space out future mods. JMO
Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Yeah, that $23K list is scary.

I've bought premium HU, 18s, leather steering wheel, TRD muffler, springs, swaybar, floormats, cargo net, bumper protector, Five Axis kit, painted and installed plus a ton of random goodies like LEDs for parking lights, silverstars, overpriced license plate frame and even still my total list of expenses including the car itself with salestax is around $20,500.

DIY + buying accessories from TRDsparks = ton of saved cash.