Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Proper Method to Remove Badges?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
SL Member

Default Proper Method to Remove Badges?

Simple Question: I just need to find out the proper method for removing metal or plastic raised badges (1/8 - 3/16" thick) from the painted body surface of my xD - especially those badges that use the common 3M adhesive tapes on the back of the badge.

Do I use heat from a Hairdryer to soften the adhesive, or is there a special solvent that is used, or what? I have a couple aftermarket badges I need to remove for a remodelling project on my xD, and I don't want to mess up the paint or clearcoat underneath the badges when I pull them off...

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i did mine on my tc and i took a piece of wire/string and slowly went under the tags and i just wiggled it through until it popped off. there still will be some sticky residue on the car/paint itself and most of that will be able to just be picked off with your fingers. if not just get it wet and scrape it off... after id take a dab of cleaner wax and just wax that small part and it should be fine.....
Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fishing line to cut through the glue and then use 3M adhesive remover to get residue off it doesnt harm paint and keeps you from having to scrub hard on it
Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

idk if it will harm the paint or not but um goo gone or goo off usually takes sticky tape residue off
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just put my finger under one corner and lifted it. use some polish buff off residue adhesive. didn't use fishing line or heat gun.

also be aware if you take off the front scion emblem and rear scion emblem there will be two holes in each (like honda's) that you will need to cover.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by katchkillah
i just put my finger under one corner and lifted it. use some polish buff off residue adhesive. didn't use fishing line or heat gun.

also be aware if you take off the front scion emblem and rear scion emblem there will be two holes in each (like honda's) that you will need to cover.
the only thing you have to be careful with this method is the emblems like to break and i also saw paint get pulled off from just pulling on them prob just a defect but i dont like taking chances
Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
SL Member

The fishing line method sounds like a good idea... thinner and stronger than string and won't scratch like a wire - now I'll just have to find a neighbor who fishes and can give me a foot-long piece or so - hate to buy a whole spool of line just for two emblems!

And, I Doo have some Goo Gone to take up the stickies...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Use a heat gun or hair dryer but dont hold it in one spot too long or hold it too close...My old xB I just heated it up and the emblem pulled right off, no line or anything...The longer you have had the car the harder it is to remove...
Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also use dental floss if you don't have any fishing line!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 8BALL
this is what i did. pain in the butt cause it breaks after awhile but safer and softer then fish line and gives a cinnaminny scent to the tape lol if the car is new the tape will be moveable with fingers. I don't recommend goo gone, i would pick up some bug and tar car cleaner for the job
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use a hair dryer to warm it up at least, and then you should be able to pull it off with your fingers.

to remove the leftover glue, peanut butter works pretty good. just let it sit on the glue for a few minutes and then rub it off.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
Originally Posted by 8BALL
this is what i did. pain in the butt cause it breaks after awhile but safer and softer then fish line and gives a cinnaminny scent to the tape lol if the car is new the tape will be moveable with fingers. I don't recommend goo gone, i would pick up some bug and tar car cleaner for the job

Ok, well, I got BOTH of those at home, floss and bug remover - 'cept the tape will be minty fresh instead of cimmanimaninmanny...!!

bought the car in April, so it isn't too very old yet.... but these are not the factory badges I'm removing, they are aftermarket badges I put on less than 4 months ago...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
to remove the leftover glue, peanut butter works pretty good. just let it sit on the glue for a few minutes and then rub it off.

Mmmm.... Peanut Butter... I even got a jar of Marshmallow Fluff to go with that - but I think that would kinda be like fighting fire with fire, lol!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tahoepimp
Originally Posted by katchkillah

the only thing you have to be careful with this method is the emblems like to break and i also saw paint get pulled off from just pulling on them prob just a defect but i dont like taking chances
wow. never saw that before. being the emblem so skinny. i guess for me i lucky cause the emblems on my scions were only on a few days from the day of purchase. ok so maybe my incident is special.

just be careful, with fishing line i've seen some scratch into paint.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the fishing line just use a small guage line and put the force on the emblem pulling slightly towards you not straight down to the paint then the adhesive comes off with the remover no probs but yeah i suppoe you could mess the paint up if ya dig into it with the line
Old 10-13-2008, 06:07 PM

I took the "xD" emblem off the back hatch with a heat gun (hairdryer) and a video store membership card

Just heat it up a bit and slid the card under the emblem. It came off very easily and a little bit of goo gone got the stickiness right off.

The whole process took me less than 5 minutes. I did it as soon as I got my car though.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let the sun shine on the badges and pull with a pick. should come off clean. floss is too much work.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heat gun or blow dryer for sure. just heat it up for awhile. then just pull eht emblem off. just did my friends xd had the heat gun to it for about a min then just pulled right off. came off with all the tape and everything. just wiped clean after words
Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i just took my tC badge off and now you can see a slight outline where the badge used to be..anyway on fixing this as ive hit it with rubbing compund and a electric buffer and that still didnt help any
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clay bar it, its prolly built up polish/soap/dirt

Quick Reply: Proper Method to Remove Badges?