Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Scion xD Bike Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Default Scion xD Bike Rack?

Does anyone know anything about good bike racks for the xD?

And how to install it

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-08-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1

cant go wrong with Yakima : ) great products im sure it just uses clips like the xB bike rack

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by misformartin
cant go wrong with Yakima : ) great products im sure it just uses clips like the xB bike rack
sweet thanks I'll look into it : )

Edit: I just looked at their clips and stuff specifically for xD it's pretty pricey .

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, pricey but that is my setup on my D. Yakima.com has a fitment guide, you just give it your car make/model and they will give you the part numbers you need. The Q-clips are the modified parts that need to be specific for each car, I can't recall which ones fit my xD but the guide will tell you. Also, my crossbars were 48". Don't have a pic right now but I'll take one later today if you need.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by xDA51
Yep, pricey but that is my setup on my D. Yakima.com has a fitment guide, you just give it your car make/model and they will give you the part numbers you need. The Q-clips are the modified parts that need to be specific for each car, I can't recall which ones fit my xD but the guide will tell you. Also, my crossbars were 48". Don't have a pic right now but I'll take one later today if you need.
yup i did the 'fit your car' or w/e haha. I'll just have to wait till I get some cash for the bundle. No need for picture thanks tho : )
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Roof racks do seem a bit expensive for the xD. I bought a VW branded Thule rack for my Golf from the dealership for $165. Too bad Scion doesn't provide something like that.

Anyway, you might want to check into a hitch-mounted rack. A nice Curt hitch would run you about $120, and racks will run anywhere from $40 to $200.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
SL Member

I just got an Inno roof rack. Good quality and one of the better prices. Also if anybody has and Ski Markets near them, they are going out of business and while the ski/snowboard stuff still wasn't cheap, the Thule racks were 50% off and by far the cheapest prices I have seen anywhere in person or online. I got a wind fairing for $35.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Roof racks do seem a bit expensive for the xD. I bought a VW branded Thule rack for my Golf from the dealership for $165. Too bad Scion doesn't provide something like that.

Anyway, you might want to check into a hitch-mounted rack. A nice Curt hitch would run you about $120, and racks will run anywhere from $40 to $200.
Oh wow thanks, this helped me alot. I just might try out the Curt Hitch later on, thanks! then hopefully a rack
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a thule roof bars (the regular square bars) bike rack on my prius (prior to the xd) and lost 10 mpg with them on top. I liked them however and I know thule makes a fit kit for the xd. People who used the hitch mounted bike rack (again on the prius) did not see much of a mpg drop. Those that run Yakima on the xd do you see much of a drop in mpg?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reasons I would prefer a hitch-mounted rack:

- Cheaper
- More choices
- Easier to mount bikes
- Less of a chance of scratching your paint or dropping a bike
- Better MPGs
- Can use hitch for other purposes (towing, cargo rack, etc.)

Roof facks have their place, too. Depends on what else you plan to do (tow - go with a hitch... ski - go with a roof rack). Of course, nothing but money is stopping you from doing both. I have a hitch, but I would like to get a roof rack at some point. I have a 20 cu/ft roof box that I would love to be able to use with my xD. Served me well with the Golf. For now, I just use my cargo rack or my trailer if I need extra cargo space.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Reasons I would prefer a hitch-mounted rack:

- Cheaper
- More choices
- Easier to mount bikes
- Less of a chance of scratching your paint or dropping a bike
- Better MPGs
- Can use hitch for other purposes (towing, cargo rack, etc.)

Roof facks have their place, too. Depends on what else you plan to do (tow - go with a hitch... ski - go with a roof rack). Of course, nothing but money is stopping you from doing both. I have a hitch, but I would like to get a roof rack at some point. I have a 20 cu/ft roof box that I would love to be able to use with my xD. Served me well with the Golf. For now, I just use my cargo rack or my trailer if I need extra cargo space.
Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going with the hitch. Especially because its cheaper and better!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ramrat
I had a thule roof bars (the regular square bars) bike rack on my prius (prior to the xd) and lost 10 mpg with them on top. I liked them however and I know thule makes a fit kit for the xd. People who used the hitch mounted bike rack (again on the prius) did not see much of a mpg drop. Those that run Yakima on the xd do you see much of a drop in mpg?
I honestly haven not noticed a drop in mpg, but I do have a fairing on and a cold air intake. On highway with an average of 65mph I get about 38 mpg calculated...41 on the display. My mileage really drops in the city though, probably because of my rims/tires.