Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Scion xD Rumor vs. Truth

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
SL Member

Default Scion xD Rumor vs. Truth

Since March, I've found some rumors online about '08 Scion xD, I was wondering if these are true or not. Thanks.

1) The engine and transmission on 2008 Scion xD automatic is really '08- '09 Toyota Corolla base model (CE) automatic.

2) '08 Scion xD has 8 airbags.

3) Scion xD or any car does not have to "warm-up", it is okay to drive even though your cold temperature engine light is on. However, you should not accelerate aggresively initially.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a cold temperature engine light? didn't know that. But to your 3rd question, no, you don't need to warm up, just keep your revs down for a few miles.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM

Default Let's see...

Since March, I've found some rumors online about '08 Scion xD, I was wondering if these are true or not. Thanks.

"1) The engine and transmission on 2008 Scion xD automatic is really '08- '09 Toyota Corolla base model (CE) automatic."

Can't say for sure on the transmission, but they share the same engine.

It's got a bunch. Haven't counted them all. Search youtube for a safety crash test on the xD.

"3) Scion xD or any car does not have to "warm-up", it is okay to drive even though your cold temperature engine light is on. However, you should not accelerate aggresively initially."

The cold temp light goes out pretty quickly. Drive away and it will be gone before you know it. Common sense will guide you regarding driving a cold engine.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion xD Rumor vs. Truth

1) No idea!

2) Driver and passenger front air bags with airbags in the A, B (the chair?) and C pillars. I just counted

3) There is a warm up light that comes on whenever you start your car for the first time that day or it has been left alone for most of the day (after starting it previously) when its cold. Yes you should not drive aggressively when the light is on.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bier9999

1) The engine and transmission on 2008 Scion xD automatic is really '08- '09 Toyota Corolla base model (CE) automatic.

3) Scion xD or any car does not have to "warm-up", it is okay to drive even though your cold temperature engine light is on. However, you should not accelerate aggresively initially.
1) The engine is the same 1.8l found in the Corolla, and will be a new staple of the Toyota line, alongside the 2.4l found in the Camry and tC. As for the transmission I'm not sure either.

2) '08 xD has 6 airbags: 2 front, 2 side curtain, 2 side seat. It also has seatbelt pretensioners which will forcefully retract the seatbelts in the event of a front-end collision.

3) Correct. According to the owner's manual, you SHOULD drive the car to warm it up instead of letting it idle to warm up, just don't drive it aggressively
Old 07-04-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard that the Scion xd engine is actually a Daihatsu engine. Is there any truth to that?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

daihatsu is a company that is owned by toyota i believe.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Banned
SL Member

The xD does indeed share the engine of the heavier Corolla. 1.8 liters - very positive considering the size of the xD - the engine has significant promise for tuning (it isn't maxed out in this trim)

The xD has 4 airbags that I know of - where did you get the extra 4?

Basic car logic applies to the warm up question. Do whatever you want to do - race from cold if you wish. You may start to get significant repair issues at 120,000 rather than 190,000 miles. C'mon - just be reasonable.

Originally Posted by bier9999

Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yang
daihatsu is a company that is owned by toyota i believe.
So having a Daihatsu motor isn't a negative thing? The Honda guys were telling me that when they were trying to convince me that getting a fit was a better choice than a scion. I had already decided on a Scion by the end of the test drive of the Fit, but I guess they thought they could bad mouth Scion and change my mind.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine is found in all Corollas minus the XRS model that has that tC motor.
Front, side, and rear side airbags = 8 individual airbags.
This is true for any car, just granny drive til ur engine temp gauge is in the middle.
Toyota shares its engines with Daihatsu just as Subaru shares theirs with Saab. Either way, Daihatsu is a good manufactuer from Japan and theres quite a few that get raced in micro series racing over there. Toyota also owns 51% of their company also. Honda dweebs are just jealous cause their mini-mini van is unsafe and not meant for the track (there's drift drivers that consider the k24 in a Fit dangerous, and these are guys doing 70 mph sideways in a car btw ) and their new Si's are a failure. I'd have more respect for them if they hadn't killed the Integra and the NSX, their best cars aside from s2000. Albeit they have a more generous aftermarket, it still feels like a cheap car compared to the xD. Sorry, got off on a tangent there lol
Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your input Zefoxe! I didn't think that having a Daihatsu made engine was a bad thing, Honda was just making it sound that way. It's like how Ford and Mazda now have a financial stake in each other and share engine technology across the 2 brands.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same trans but different part numbers....
Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Majority of the engine for Daihatsu, Toyota makes. The engine found in the xD, Corolla, Matrix and Vibe is a Toyota designed engine.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Runawayrogue
2) '08 xD has 6 airbags: 2 front, 2 side curtain, 2 side seat. It also has seatbelt pretensioners which will forcefully retract the seatbelts in the event of a front-end collision.
Are the front and rear side curtain airbags supposed to be counted together? If so, 6 is correct. Otherwise, you'd get 8. The xD also has active head restraints (the head rests) which supposedly help prevent whiplash.

EDIT: Yup, it's one big curtain on each side (hence 'side curtain' duh!)...so total = 6 lol

For those interested in the safety, both scion.com and safercar.gov are quite helpful.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a knee airbag??
Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No knee airbag, I believe that's unique to the tC.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kinda strange that they put it in the entire 09 Toyota/Lexus lineup and left the xD and xB out of it.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://toyota.jp/ist/safety/passive/index.html
shud be the same for the xD!

think total is 8.
1) driver front
2) driver window
3) driver side
4) front passenger front
5) front passenger window
6) front passenger side
7 & rear passenger window

but i dont wish to be physically count the bags on my own!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are only six actual bags, so before we make a huge thread on how many:

Two Front
Front Right Seat Airbag
Front Left Seat Airbag
Right Curtain Airbag (which runs front to back for front & rear passengers).
Left Curtain Airbag (also runs front to back)
A Total of 6 and 6 only. =-)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
SL Member

six is correct. 2 front, 2 front side, and 2 cortain. The two curtain bags do protect front and rear passengers so someone likely counted them at front curtain and rear curtain per side, but they are one single bag per side.

6 airbags

Quick Reply: Scion xD Rumor vs. Truth