Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

ScionXD Electronic Stability Control- Beep in Dash wide turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Default ScionXD Electronic Stability Control- Beep in Dash wide turn

I didn't know my Scion XD had the ESC Electronic Stability Control option.

Now I feel like a boring driver since I have only heard the beeping sound from the dash 2 times.

The beeping sound comes on when I make this specific fast right & immediate left turn corner.

ESC was not a add-on that I payed for.

The price sticker only showed car mats as a additional add-on.

How do I know if this beeping was really ESC normal functions?

Is ESC a good thing? Or does it make it difficult to maintain in the future?

Are brakes twice the cost because it has ESC? How about alignments?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
SL Member

Ggomez,

I read your post w/ interest. I actually wish my xD RS1 had VSC. I really liked this feature on my V6 Sonata I traded on the xD. The Sonata had the smoothest stability control I have experienced. There was no beep, the car just started breaking a front or rear individual wheel to keep the car moving in the proper direction. Our Infinity G35's stability was sort of annoying. When it activated you could feel a vibration like with some of the older ABS systems.

Aside from the extensive amount of testing by the manufacturer on all sorts of roads and road conditions, I suspect VSC does not cost a lot as far as materials. I suspect it's mainly a bit of software and slightly more advanced ABS/breaking system using components that are already there. I didn't drive the Sonata in the snow very often, but it was nice to know stability was there and on the occasions when I would be a little too aggressive with a maneuver.

It should not increase the costs of maintenance. Perhaps the beep you hear is from a tire pressure monitor?

Geo
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you leaning on the passenger seat? Been there done that, me looking at the dash like WTF WAS THAT. Hahaha
Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have never heard a beep from my car unless I or my passenger didn't have our belts secured. ggomez do you have something in your passenger seat? This is strange unless I read your post wrong. Which has happened before lol.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats happened to me as well, had my backpack on the front seat and the car must have thought i had an unbuckled baby sitting there or something. I am pretty sure the dealership would have been more than happy to charge you for the VSC if you had it, which would be on the sticker if it was installed before you bought it. next time you hear the beeping, look by the clock to see if the seatbelt/airbag light turns on/off. i may be reading your post wrong as well, but as chels said, ive only been beeped at for an open door and no seatbelt. i dont think VSC would beep unless it was malfunctioning... the last thing most drivers need is a distracting beep in the middle of a skid recovery.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM
SL Member

Haha, this is great - I have a habit of leaning or resting my right hand on the edge of the passenger seat all the time while I drive, and the weight sensor for that seat is extremely sensitive... any little weight applied, or even just squeezing the lip of the seat between my fingers and thumb a little, and BEEP BEEP BEEP! I swear, it's about every 5 minutes for me, lol! I even installed one of those Zeta center armrest consoles in the car, thinking I would lean on it instead, so it would help me avoid doing that... uh, nope!

I do have a 5-speed, so I guess it's just natural for me -Shift, then rest my hand on the seat... Beep! Shift, then rest... Beep! Shift then rest... BEEP BEEP BEEP! Dang it!

Yeah, just look at the seatbelt indicator light for the passenger seat in the center dash when you hear that beeping, it will be lit, i guarrantee it!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM

Mother of all creatures!
After some intense testing & after reading everyone's response I realize that I do not have VSC.

I think I have been resting my hand on the edge of the passenger seat & when I make quick turns I apply more pressure on the passenger seat which causes the seatbelt sensor to beep.

I got fooled, I thought I had VSC when I didn't. HE HE HE!!!!

Hmmm, I looked at the dash & didn't see any indicator of seatbelt light on while it was beeping.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not on the dash It's right next to the clock on the right side.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 AM
SL Member

yes, I said 'center dash", and I really should have said "center console on the dash"... But yes, just to the right of the clock is the passenger seatbelt warning light.

Hah, at least I know now I'm not the only one who sets that off with their hand!!

Good call on that one, Travis! (tmrepp)