Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Smashed up bumper. Body kit/Insurance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Smashed up bumper. Body kit/Insurance questions.

So, I spun out and hit a parked car last week. The road was clear except for the mounds of packed snow that remain after plows cant clear them. I hit one expecting to glide right over it and it kicked my left front tire out towards that middle of the road so hard that the car did a 180 before I could try to correct the steering. My right front end hit the side of a parked car as I tried to get straightened out (going backwards). This was at night, mind you. A fairly shocking experience.

Luckily, all of the oncoming traffic had ample room to stop so that things didnt go from bad to much, much worse. A police officer arrived at the scene as I was leaving my contact info on the car I hit. I figured someone had called him about my incedent but apparently there had been a hit and run just before I drove through there. He took my information too and said that was the best thing I could do. So, I left.

I have not heard from the parked car's owner. I contacted my insurance company in anticipation of them needing to file a claim against me. Who knows. Im pretty baffled as to why they wouldnt call.

Anyway, so now I have to pay my deductible and I am thinking if I am going to spend all of this money I want to try to make the car better than it was before all of this happened. I have looked at all of the body kits available for the D and really like the AIT kit. http://www.aitracing.com/shop/index....oducts_id=1696

Has anyone attempted to do this before? Meaning, instead of replacing OEM, asking the body shop to quote that while replacing it with a body kit instead? I know there will be a good local shop to do it, but I am wondering how complicated it could end up being. My quarter panel is slightly bent too, which could help "pad" that estimate. The insurance company (State Farm) doesnt even look at cars anymore. They just send you to the body shop of your choice and send them a check.

I would also prefer to be able to remove it for winterizing so that I dont end up with a mini snow plow begging to be busted up. How possible is that? I know the front and rear bolt on, but the side skirts? How about those?

Thanks for your input. I am fine health wise by the way. Just a bruised ego. I have never been in an accident before and pride myself on my driving skills. Dammit.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it all depends if you got hook ups, if you kno sum1 who works at a body shop and give abit high estamite so with that money. you can get the kit nd painted nd let them do it for you. you mite pay abit more on insurance but it wont be all bad. btw go with five axis
Old 02-11-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply.

I personally dont want the FiveAxis. While it looks good and improves the front end, my biggest issue with the stock bumper is the mock brake vents. The FA lip kit does nothing to help those. The AIT kit places fogs there and does away with the shape altogether. That is what I like most about it. The Extreme Dimensions kit is pretty much just an exaggeration of the OEM look.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Side skirts are just as easy to take on and off as your front/rear bumper. Most just use double sided tape, if not then just two bolts on the underside. However, I'm assuming the AIT kit will be double sided tape. If you do need to remove it then it shouldn't be a problem.

glad to know everything is okay though, I have no idea what the insurance company can and can't cover...but I'm assuming that if Mercury just pays the bill without a thought, you'll get away with getting this kit. A body shop certainly wont care, as long as they get paid. No hook ups will be necessary, you just have to worry about whether or not your insurance will front the cost.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just remember that by replacing the front bumper and should something happen again, the new bumper may or may not be replaced again. I spun my car in wet conditions a year agao and still haven't fixed it. At least you are aware of the foglights for the new bumper. now follow thru and get them. so many cheap out on the most important option
Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed!!! i can't imagine this bumper without the fogs....and I don't see why people wouldn't want them with the kit. oh well..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM

When this happened to me with my Audi the bodyshop charged me the extra cost for the upgrade. The price difference wasn't to bad at all. Best of luck to you.

Kenny
Old 02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks everyone. I will let you know what happens in the end. The first estimate I got was far lower than I would have expected. So, we will have to wait and see.