Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Stupid Driver Vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tsk tsk for being on the cell phone as you were driving, but I feel for you. this thread has my tail, which is pretty similar to your story. I hate ignorant people, I should have either made him pay for the damage or messed up his car
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just came from the grocery store once,
saw this dirty acura mdx with a dirty looking man in it. Parked super close to my car, backwards at the least.
he drives off as i go in the car, then i hear him shouting
"i didnt door ding your car"
and i was thinking, why would you be so dumb.
I parked so far and your dumb butt parks right next to me.
I just said i wasnt pointing fingers, and said have a nice day and smiled at him.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Okay so this is a driver vent for my brother, who drives an RS1 tC.

We were driving home to Des Moines from my parents' place 2 hours away. So it's starting to get dusky, about 8 or so. Tony is driving in the left lane on interstate, his girlfriend (Amy) was in the passenger seat, and I was rocking to my iPod in the back.

All of a sudden, he JERKS the wheel and we hit the rumble strips on the left shoulder. Tony jerks the wheel again and we barely make the exit ramp. I hadn't heard anything, so I'm thinking we had a blow-out. NOPE! The dirty hick family that had been in the right lane with a pickup-bed trailer with tons of sh*t in the back (yeah, you guys know the type) had exited. Tony got up behind them on the exit ramp and flashed his lights at them till they stopped.

By this time, I had pulled off my headphones and found out that there had been a hammer holding down a piece of cardboard in the trailer. A gust of wind must have caught the cardboard just right, pulling that AND the hammer out of the trailer. The hammer was heading straight for the car, and Tony jerked the wheel to avoid it, but it still hit his hood twice. Thank God it didn't come through the windshield.

So Tony goes to get out of the car and Amy tells him to stay calm. The family said they knew something had flown out of the 'trailer', but didn't know what. Tony showed them the damage and they exchanged insurance info. Apparently they had let their insurance lapse but said they still planned on making it right by paying out of pocket.

Tony checked around and the adjuster looked at it too. He got quotes between $1100 and $1200. He's got to get a new hood and a new windshield because the hammer DID hit the windshield too.

He called the guy who was driving and told him. The guy's response was "I don't know if we'll be able to pay for ALL of that up front". Tony told me later, "Fine. Then we'll get the cops involved for no insurance and the insurance company can go after them".

So we'll see. The guy was supposed to call Tony on Thursday I believe, and to my knowledge, he hasn't heard a word.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately , this is what happens when you're the nice guy in the situation. People walk all over you, it sucks so hard because you want to be polite and give a person a chance but you can't. Id have gotten the insurance information, plate nums, then called the cops to file an accident report.

After going through stupid ____ like this before , and especially after the hit and run a couple months ago, never again will I be the nice guy, especially for people that have lapsed insurance, if for whatever reason that hammer hit somebody else and caused them to go into a light post or whatever and killed somebody, those guys are liable and are responsible for a persons death and have no liability backing by an insurance company. Theres a reason its a law to have automobile insurance with at least liability coverage

my .02, Hope everything works out for your brother.

Originally Posted by Khans
Okay so this is a driver vent for my brother, who drives an RS1 tC.

We were driving home to Des Moines from my parents' place 2 hours away. So it's starting to get dusky, about 8 or so. Tony is driving in the left lane on interstate, his girlfriend (Amy) was in the passenger seat, and I was rocking to my iPod in the back.

All of a sudden, he JERKS the wheel and we hit the rumble strips on the left shoulder. Tony jerks the wheel again and we barely make the exit ramp. I hadn't heard anything, so I'm thinking we had a blow-out. NOPE! The dirty hick family that had been in the right lane with a pickup-bed trailer with tons of sh*t in the back (yeah, you guys know the type) had exited. Tony got up behind them on the exit ramp and flashed his lights at them till they stopped.

By this time, I had pulled off my headphones and found out that there had been a hammer holding down a piece of cardboard in the trailer. A gust of wind must have caught the cardboard just right, pulling that AND the hammer out of the trailer. The hammer was heading straight for the car, and Tony jerked the wheel to avoid it, but it still hit his hood twice. Thank God it didn't come through the windshield.

So Tony goes to get out of the car and Amy tells him to stay calm. The family said they knew something had flown out of the 'trailer', but didn't know what. Tony showed them the damage and they exchanged insurance info. Apparently they had let their insurance lapse but said they still planned on making it right by paying out of pocket.

Tony checked around and the adjuster looked at it too. He got quotes between $1100 and $1200. He's got to get a new hood and a new windshield because the hammer DID hit the windshield too.

He called the guy who was driving and told him. The guy's response was "I don't know if we'll be able to pay for ALL of that up front". Tony told me later, "Fine. Then we'll get the cops involved for no insurance and the insurance company can go after them".

So we'll see. The guy was supposed to call Tony on Thursday I believe, and to my knowledge, he hasn't heard a word.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah for sure. He got the license plate #'s and was talking to insurance before we moved an inch. They said we were okay to not call the police. There were witnesses there so we can all attest to what was said.

But yeah, I really hope this rights itself.