Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Terribly annoyed by safety 'features'

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default Terribly annoyed by safety 'features'

There are some safety features that my wife is finding terribly annoying - and I hear about them daily. These seem to fall into two categories. Locking and beeping. Is there anyway to change these safety features?

With a baby in her arms it bothersome to constantly lock/unlock and more unlocking of the car:
-Unlock the car, pickup child and car relocks because timeout.
-This is more minor and she has already accustom to unlocking the car 6X ever time. Unlock the car, put key away, pick up child and oops only unlocked drivers door.
-Exiting; Open child's door, cant lock car while door is open, put keys in pocket, pick up child, close door.

Beeping
- Wife brings car back home because random beeping with her bag in the front seat. Insists there is something wrong with the car.
- Baby crying, wife in passenger seat unbuckles to assist child, now constant beeping too.

Would an aftermarket alarm or remote start(w/unlock) lobotomize the toyota locking logic? Can the passenger seat belt latch be tricked into always sensing connected? ...and yes it is very fortunate that this is the only thing we have to be bothered by or it could just be lack of sleep. ;-)

Thanks!
-Doug
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my method is to unlock all doors (press unlock 2x), leave one of the doors slightly open
(with the ignition key in and engine on, autolock feature doesn't go into affect)

as for the bag in front seat beeping. yeah its gets annoying. a bit too sensitive for my taste.

hope you find a useful aftermarket part =]
Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

Lost, strange - Our XD doesnt autolock while driving (thank goodness). (edit -Of course the auto lock from shifting into park is only capable on Automatic Trans.) I found a procedure the tc folks use to disable the beeping, but it does not seem to work on xDs.

Next Ill try disconnecting the ground wire on the passenger latch. I think might also temporarily disable the door pin on child seat side to allow locking while that door is open. That might be enough to get the car back in SWMBO's good graces.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lostxD
as for the bag in front seat beeping. yeah its gets annoying. a bit too sensitive for my taste.
Yeah I've noticed w/ a large pizza and wings on the front seat that the car thinks my order should buckle up. lol
Old 03-05-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is possible to set your key fob to unlock all doors at once. I don't have an manual so I can't confirm this but your manual it should say that it is possible to have this done but that you need to go see your scion dealer. I have an 06 xA and this is how I have my doors programed, except I was able to program it myself. As for the door unlock timeout, I don't know if they can reprogram that, but if you press the unlock button and then open any door that should cancel the timeout and keep your doors unlocked.

As for the seat belt reminder, It can be disabled by your dealer but they probably won't because it is a safety feature. There's no need to buy a whole new security system, just keeping trying different dealers until you find one that will reprogram what's already there for you.

Source (xB2 but should be same for xD): https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207841

Edit: I should note that I am assuming that the xD shares the same programmable features as the xB2 but they might be too different and not possible to program.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take ur car to the dealer, most of this can be turned off as per request
Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suggest jewerly. That'll quiet her down, at least for a little while.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For my alarm system that I have on my manual D I have it set so when the key is turned to the run position the doors lock. If I open a door the door that I opened does not relock. Once I turn the key off all the doors unlock.

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
I suggest jewerly. That'll quiet her down, at least for a little while.
She wont hear the beeping. She will hear bling bling.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

With the first "problem" it called passive arming. It can be turned off by looking in the owners manual that came with the alarm. As for the beeping, it's there to tell you to put your seatbelt on. She doesnt want to risk her safety does she? It's a good feature to have. If the beeping because of the bag annoys her, she'll need to lighten the bag some or put it on the
floor.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put my backpack with books and doesn't set the indicator. lighten that bag! I have a 2 year old and dont have much issue gettin g baby in and out of the car. walk up to car, unlock and open door. process can't take more than a minute to do really. takes me 30 seconds max
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by JDMJim
I put my backpack with books and doesn't set the indicator. lighten that bag! I have a 2 year old and dont have much issue gettin g baby in and out of the car. walk up to car, unlock and open door. process can't take more than a minute to do really. takes me 30 seconds max
right?

I was going to ask why is she unlocking the car and then getting the kid ready to go in, etc... why not open the door so she can place the child in the car....

unlock car
pick up child
door locks automatically
unlock car
open door
place child in car

OR

unlock car
open door
place child in car

and what everyone else said about the beeping, a dealer can shut off just the passenger seat sensor... I personally enjoy the beep, lets me tell the passengers that they have to wear it... (even though it will shut off on its own, but hey they dont need to know that...)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The seatbelt reminder will stop after a minute or two, my backpack sets it off sometimes, I move it to the floor or put up with it until it shuts off.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah common sense seems to be in very short supply these days.

If she comes to a complete stop, puts the car in to park, there should be no beeping for the seat belt. Is she... blonde..?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i think she means... she takes off her seat belt (not very safe) while her husband is driving to reach back and pat the crying baby...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lostxD
^ i think she means... she takes off her seat belt (not very safe) while her husband is driving to reach back and pat the crying baby...
"not very safe" is quite the understatement.

Also counterproductive...I'm fairly certain it's better for a baby to cry for a few minutes than to grow up with only one parent.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know a guy who was a front seat passenger in an SUV (I believe it was an Isuzu Trooper). His baby dropped something and was crying, so he momentarily unbuckled so he could reach the toy on the floor. Just then, his wife had to swerve and the vehicle rolled. He was ejected through the sunroof! He was incredibly lucky and was only scraped up and a few minor bones broken. It is simply incredible what can happen in a split second.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the beeping... have her put her bag on a different part of the passenger seat or the floor. The sensor is only in a certain spot and if her bag is sitting right on it, that's just how it's going to be.

If she's sitting in that seat and takes the seatbelt off to check the baby, aside from the "unsafe" part of it, this should be able to be turned off. I know I can on my 05 tC... so I would really hope the same can be done on an xD.

If you don't have any of these things in the manuals with the car, just stop by the dealer and tell them you want to turn off these things.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Hey thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. None of the xa or tc reprogramming tips worked for me. Usually my wife is very reasonable about stuff and these are a bit nit picky. BUT - I agree with her to some extent that these are 'safety' features are annoying. I took the car out to pick pizza & wing and had to listen to it randomly beep all the way home. I am glad at least the dealer can 'fix' some of these traits (wish me luck on convincing them to do it).

As for all those that say its unsafe to ride in the passenger seat unbuckled even for a few seconds, I disagree. I think its far safer than being distracted, frustrated, or speeding because of an upset child when it only takes seconds to remedy the issue. But as the old adage goes:

Kids in the back seat cause accidents; Accidents in the back seat cause kids!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Default se!at belt alarm stop

Originally Posted by morrisdl
There are some safety features that my wife is finding terribly annoying - and I hear about them daily. These seem to fall into two categories. Locking and beeping. Is there anyway to change these safety features?

With a baby in her arms it bothersome to constantly lock/unlock and more unlocking of the car:
-This is more minor and she has already accustom to unlocking the car 6X ever time. Unlock the car, put key away, pick up child and oops only unlocked drivers door.
-Exiting; Open child's door, cant lock car while door is open, put keys in pocket, pick up child, close door.

Beeping

- Wife brings car back home because random beeping with her bag in the front seat. Insists there is something wrong with the car.
- Baby crying, wife in passenger seat unbuckles to assist child, now constant beeping too.

Would an aftermarket alarm or remote start(w/unlock) lobotomize the toyota locking logic? Can the passenger seat belt latch be tricked into always sensing connected? ...and yes it is very fortunate that this is the only thing we have to be bothered by or it could just be lack of sleep. ;-)

Thanks!
-Doug
Hey, I was having the same problem with my Subaru alarm and I bought a product on the net from seatbeltalarmstop and solved it immediately. Yay!! Peace and Quiet. Lou
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by morrisdl

Beeping

Thanks!
-Doug

first off, the baby handling procedures are questionable. how are you opening the door or unlocking the car with kid in hand? kinda unsafe to be opening the door AFTER you pick up the kid. and exiting, how about leaving your driver or passenger door open, put keys in pocket, get kid out, shut their door, AND USE THE DOOR LOCK NEXT TO THE WINDOW CONTROL!!!! WOW!!! that was hard! you know, that manual switch that says "lock/unlock"? it's there for a reason.

second, the beeper only goes for 8 long times, and 50 short. it's a minute to minute and half tops. guess what i do when i'm going to a fire scene with my gear in the passenger seat? ignore it. why? cause i'm more intent on listening to my two-way for updates on the call. if you have the radio on, it's easy to ignore the beeping and fade it to the background noise. it's not THAT loud. WAH!!!!

Quick Reply: Terribly annoyed by safety 'features'